New drummers prioritizing wrong gear?

I knew I should've trademarked "Infant Annihilator" back in the 70s.
This is the music your grandkids like 🙂. They wanna play all the notes too. Someone just needs to show them how.

Sure, that's great, but it's rare.
Most online musicians are competing for likes, not making records or playing live.
I feel like if that is their goal, that's fine. They might not be able to play with each other, but I'm not sure that matters anymore. It doesnt really effect their ability to learn and play the instrument.

It has to be better than, say, the myriad of households with a piano nobody plays.

I feel like if that is their goal, that's fine. They might not be able to play with each other, but I'm not sure that matters anymore. It doesnt really effect their ability to learn and play the instrument.
Yes.... like I KEEP saying. In answer to the original question 'why do kids spend big on double pedals instead of better drums and cymbals', Ans: their priorities have changed.
When I started getting hired to play on records no one gave a toss how fast my bass drum was, but I was immediately under pressure about my sound (or lack thereof).
No one buys records any more, and many musicians make their living off Youtube.
You apparently read it as a criticism. For me it's just a statement of fact.... Priorities have changed!

You apparently read it as a criticism.
Not at all. I want folks to do what they want and be happy about it. If just getting likes floats their boat, I've got no gripe with that.

-OR-

If getting likes motivates them to play their instrument, cool.

I think we are in agreement.

Let me clarify; I am talking about things most experienced drummers can play with one pedal, such as a few double strokes during a fill (think a Carlock or Weckl style fill). Two quick doubles in succession. Lots of seasoned players would do this on a single pedal, because we have experience at it and it is just two quick doubles in succession, which a lot of us can do. Many of these newer drummers "cheat" in that aspect and use the double pedal to play those two quick doubles.

I was not referring to playing many doubles in succession or during a whole song. Just a few quick doubles randomly together for a fill or ending.
I play my triples on a single pedal and assume people think I'm using a double. I play quads with the double pedal, followed by a single hand stroke.

I used to play a triple with a double on the right followed by a single on the left, so I guess that isnt cheating? I can still do that, but not as cleanly as before when I didnt work on single stroke double kick. In reality,
none
of
It
is
cheating.

Last edited:
Sure, that's great, but it's rare.
Most online musicians are competing for likes, not making records or playing live.
True, but playing live at the level of the top 10 requires label backing or deep pockets, you have to hire a crew to setup a venue, have the resources to move all that gear to the next venue, have an agent handling all the logistics, etc. I don't see a YouTuber, having that kind of resources (for example Meytal Cohen), she raised about $100k to record her first album, she only needed about $65k so the remainder could have been used to do a mini tour. She had a band put together and did a couple of shows locally in Los Angeles, I don't think she was very successful but she did raise (or had people give her) money for a second album, no shows from that one or if they did I never heard of them, now she has been mostly absent except to say that she had a baby so I expect not to hear much from her anymore (not that I care just using her as an example of a known youtuber). Other know YouTuber is Jared Dines, he definitely has the resources to put together a tour, and recorded an album with Howard Johnson (Killswitch Engage) and a few special guest drummers I believe, which is surprisingly good, he has played live supporting Trivium and others, he might take that act on the road who knows... of course he is competing for likes, but at his level that matters because he gets sponsorships and can make things happen that way. Now that 17 year old boy is generating enough buzz that he too will be invited to play with other bands and get those sponsorships, so we might see him playing live too.

Or invent the next Grunge de-evolution.

Meytal Cohen had money granted to promote her into relevance.
Jorge Gorrido, known as El Estepario Siberiano, doesn't. Mike Portnoy probably didn't.

Last edited:
Jorge can't yet play the fastest double bass stuff for extended periods of time, is my suspicion. So he either plays shorts of the best parts of songs that fit his ability or he doesn't record the intense double pedal that he can't yet master. 66Samus recorded a complete song that Jorge did a short of and later in the piece the double pedal is prob beyond him, Jorge, still.
His drum sounds are produced by an EAD module.
I don't know how Mike got to music school but he became an influential drummer by advanced technical ability. "Portnoy fills" are a thing now.

Meytal has other visually appealing attractions that manly appearing drummers don't possess, for most people anyway. It's the girl gamer type thing.

Jorge can't yet play the fastest double bass stuff for extended periods of time, is my suspicion. So he either plays shorts of the best parts of songs that fit his ability or he doesn't record the intense double pedal that he can't yet master. 66Samus recorded a complete song that Jorge did a short of and later in the piece the double pedal is prob beyond him, Jorge, still.
His drum sounds are produced by an EAD module.
I don't know how Mike got to music school but he became an influential drummer by advanced technical ability. "Portnoy fills" are a thing now.

Meytal has other visually appealing attractions that manly appearing drummers don't possess, for most people anyway. It's the girl gamer type thing.
We can mention every single female drummer for that matter take for exaple A-yeon... who cares about how good she plays? she looks good and that is all that matters, the only female drummer that doesn't rely on sexually suggestive things is Tarn Softwhip and to me she is a great drummer, she has left some mistakes on her videos so you can tell she mostly doesn't do a lot of editing even though she has a production team on some of the videos. If you watch El Estepario's cover of Heretic Anthem, he is using very expensive (EarthWorks) mics and who knows what console, definitely not EAD.. I am glad about the guy's success, I just feel he comes across as full of himself, Samus seems way more relatable, kind of like DirK Venbeuren who can play some extreme stuff and make it look easy. (see if you can find his demo of EZ Drummer 2 for an example of insane speed yet very precise playing and on top of that all on an electronic kit). so yes you can get a module or an e-kit to sound great, you still have to be able to play, but again I have seen Samus play full songs with really hard parts and make it look easy, yet still remain humble (he seems like a fan of the drummers more than a peer that is at their same level). EL Estepario seems like he believes no one can do what he does which is of course untrue.

I mostly ignore the sexy looking drummer-girl titillation that's pushed at me. The talented kids playing instruments is worthy of viewing. Is that ever pushed, though? idk.

It was probably Plato who said, ~The more the emphasis is on sexuality, the lesser is the substance in the material. Mostly true.
Joe Bonomassa was pushed. God rest his soul today, but Taylor was pushed. I never heard of Taylor until Youtube pushed him in my Suggested Videos thing for a couple weeks. I finally watched the video, eventually, which was approximately a year before his death. I don't rate the video for me specifically as a personally positive perspective on Taylor and Dave Grohl. I'm glad I saw it but not for the reasons YT and the music industry intended. It confirmed why I'm jaded.

Anyway, you're hitting on my point on contrasting 66Samus to Jorge; Samus does full songs. Jorge doesn't sometimes, and sometimes I'm pretty sure it's because he can't master it. Sometimes it's just to cover the part people want to hear/see only. Look at his vid titled IT TOOK ME 15 YEARS TO PLAY THIS SONG. Then look at 66Samus do the full song with extreme foot work that occurs beyond where Jorge stops the video short. He'll prob get there, but I suspect it's not this month. Samus has a superb personality. Jorge is a typical personality. Maybe he'll develop one of those, but he's also in Spain and American dialect isn't his native language. I discovered both by accident. Samus by looking for Freebird covers.

Meytal was obviously pushed as she burst into production video prominence. A DW kit or even expensive mics can be borrowed or rented. Every legit player goes thru an evolutionary process and Jorge does use an EAD, which is seen on his bass drum commonly. He has a video discussing it. He's been working with an internationally touring band for a long, long time. So there's been access to equipment for that time too. I don't read it as an indication of being pushed like Meytal and David Lee Roth is today. I stumbled onto him accidentally looking at other stuff. I can hardly avoid seeing Meytal, or at least in the recent past. When you reach a level of outreach, you start getting equipment offered to you. Jorge has reached that level, but even produced a video of what social media pays him. It isn't much. His income is from touring/playing, clinics, etc.. check the vid of a day in the life of him. Pretty meager.

I never subscribed to anything, but I get DLR pushed on me constantly. He hasn't been relevant since after his 1st two solo releases, for Pete's sake. As for his appearance, that came from Jim Mangrum of Black Oak Arkansas who I saw with Tommy Aldridge before VH hit.
LmNvbQ

Jorge wasn't my only example and I'm just saying that he got there organically. Jorge has published vids going to when he was 18 and sucked, like my current metal level. He's only reached people since developing extreme skills fairly lately. His video develop is different. It's harder for people without a cute waist, attractive breasts and sexual bait.

A touring friend says he thinks 10, 000 Instagram followers is where your career will start funding itself.

Last edited:
True, but playing live at the level of the top 10 requires label backing or deep pockets, you have to hire a crew to setup a venue, have the resources to move all that gear to the next venue, have an agent handling all the logistics, etc.
Again, you are all talking past me about something I never posted.....
Post #1 asks why young kids are buying flashy hardware and not better drums and cymbals. I posted 'because their priorities have changed'.
In the 80's you played small clubs and maybe made a record in a project studio. As a result many people's priority was to sound good (in the club PA or on the record). That era has largely gone and is replaced with a more visual medium courtesy of Tik-Tok and Youtube. Watched on an iPhone or tablet, the sound of the drums is really not that critical, compared to a 24 track studio with a recording engineer.

Hmm, my point is that priorities have changed, since the recording albums and touring era. All this other banter has nothing to do with my actual point.
We all wanted to get renown; renown these days is being an influencer rather than being in a touring band. Priorities really haven't changed, just the platform has.

In the 80's everyone wanted a record deal and to go on tour.
There were multiple gate-keepers you had to impress, MOSTLY with your songs, your playing and your sound.
Now you can film yourself and publish the result at any time.
Priorities HAVE changed.

In the 80's everyone wanted a record deal and to go on tour.
There were multiple gate-keepers you had to impress, MOSTLY with your songs, your playing and your sound.
Now you can film yourself and publish the result at any time.
Priorities HAVE changed.
Not really, but that is a matter or opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...

It's not 'an opinion' if you lived it and experienced it. It's like saying someone who was at Woodstock just has 'an opinion' on Woodstock.
No one wanted renown. Renown didn't pay your rent. Youtube can now pay your rent and more.

It's not 'an opinion' if you lived it and experienced it. It's like saying someone who was at Woodstock just has 'an opinion' on Woodstock.
No one wanted renown. Renown didn't pay your rent. Youtube can now pay your rent and more.
No, but renown opened doors and still does. You aren't going to get hired without being renowned for your playing, ability to learn songs quickly, and the ability to adapt to touring conditions. Youtube won't pay your rent if you suck, and you can't get a touring job if you suck or worse: are renowned for sucking.

Back