New drummer ?'s

BigBelly

Hey folks,

I am new to Drummerworld and new, very new, to drumming itself.

This last Christmas, Santa brought a 5 piece Sound Percussion kit for my 6 year old son and he has been drumming (lessons) for about 8 months now. All is going well for him but I have the itch so friggin bad I can't stand it.

This kit (I am aware of the quality so don't bash me) only came with a cheesy hi-hat and a one crash cymbal, both sound horrible! I want to begin adding cymbals but truly have no idea where to start. I am familiar with a few brand names but beyond that, I just don't have a clue about them....literally!

I have replaced the batter heads to Evans on the snare and toms and put an Aquarian Super Kick on the Bass drum.

I am addicted to drumming (my son too) and I want to add to this kit but don't know where to start. I hope to buy a better kit soon but for now, I thought I might just start buying hardware and accessories that I can use with a new kit when time and funds allow.

Please help!

Chazz

Hey,
You might be better off buying a Used Drum Kit, there are deals
out there if you do the research...
If you were to purchase say 1 New piece at a time would cost more
in the long run, than purchasing a new kit with hardware as a whole.

Check ebay & craigslist and your local shop..
it's free to look, and eventually you will find a Great & less expensive set :)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Used cymbals on eBay can save a lot of cash. Sabian, Zildjian, Paiste are the big three cymbal companies. Try used first wherever you buy.

Calummordue

Well there are too options you could buy intermediate cymbals such as sabian b8's, paiste pst5's or you could buy professional cymbals such as sabian AAX or zildjan A's. I would advice buying professional cymbals because in 6 months you will want something better if you where to buy intermediate, you cut the middle man so to speak. I would try to buy used as well, you can get great deals. Just make sure they don't have any cracks or key wholeing and you should be fine!

HAPPY DRUMMING

Stoney

I like to think of buying drum equipment the same as I do anything. Buy a cheap carpet that you will discard in 6 months or buy something with quality that you will want to keep forever. If you're really into it then I would suggest buying quality rather than quantity. Forget more cymbals and do a bit of upgrading. Start with the snare drum and build from that.