New Drumheads...

JDavis64

Hello drummerworld!

I recently bought a 7-piece Pearl Vision set. The stock heads sound really good, which are Pearl Protones. I'm looking for drum heads to replace the stock ones when I start gigging some more. I'm looking at either Remo or Evans. If it helps or makes a difference, the rack toms are 10", 12", 13" 6-ply birch. and the floor toms are 14", 16" 8-ply birch, and the 22" bass drum is 8-ply birch. I have a Pearl Sensitone snare that is 14" x 5-1/2"

I play a lot of rock, alternative, and punk.

Any suggestions on specific drum heads or pros and cons to help me decide are greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks, Joe

So many choices and so many variables mate. But, I always liked the combination of Remo Emperor batters (either clear or coated) over clear Ambassador reso's for toms (G2's over G1's if you decide on Evans heads). I also use emperors on all my snares. I've found PS3's work well for the bass drum too.
Emp's are a 2 ply head that will suit your musical style well. They're very durable. Worth checking out IMO.

Hello drummerworld!

I recently bought a 7-piece Pearl Vision set. The stock heads sound really good, which are Pearl Protones. I'm looking for drum heads to replace the stock ones when I start gigging some more. I'm looking at either Remo or Evans. If it helps or makes a difference, the rack toms are 10", 12", 13" 6-ply birch. and the floor toms are 14", 16" 8-ply birch, and the 22" bass drum is 8-ply birch. I have a Pearl Sensitone snare that is 14" x 5-1/2"

I play a lot of rock, alternative, and punk.

Any suggestions on specific drum heads or pros and cons to help me decide are greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks, Joe

I agree with PFOG. Those Remo heads will work fine, as will the Evans.

What you will find though is that there are many combinations and many opinions. For example, I dislike Evans because I prefer metal hoops, but my great friend and fine drummer D loves Evans heads and finds they work just fine.

I say begin with those recommended by PFOG. Although I recommend single ply heads for snares. Perhaps a coated CS reverse dot for extra durability. It's all very subjective. If you live near a good drum shop that has staff that can tune, they can help you out as well.

I've always liked Remo but I heard Evans was really good too. I think I'll go with Remo Emperors for batter with the Emperor X for snare, Remo Ambassadors for resonant, and the Powerstroke 3 for bass, like PFOG suggested. But I think I'll save up and buy them altogether at SSE Music, over ordering them online.

Thanks guys!

I have a couple more questions... does it matter if it's clear, coated, or ebony? Do they really have a difference in sound? I was thinking of putting Remo Ebony Ambassadors as my resonant, and possibly the "Smooth White" Emperor for batters. I have a few months before I purchase new heads. I was just wondering if there were major differences between the types.

Coatings will indeed have an effect on the sound of the drum. Coated heads have a tendency to be a little more focused and warmer sounding, with your kit I'd probably go clear. Also you will get a debate on if the ebony heads sound different than clear. I've used both and the ebony heads are not as bright sounding as the clear, gives a little darker tone. I switched back from ebony to clears a few years ago and have been very happy that I did.

I have a couple more questions... does it matter if it's clear, coated, or ebony? Do they really have a difference in sound? I was thinking of putting Remo Ebony Ambassadors as my resonant, and possibly the "Smooth White" Emperor for batters. I have a few months before I purchase new heads. I was just wondering if there were major differences between the types.

I have used Ebony Ambassadors and Clears as well many times. I do not notice a difference in sound. There is a difference in sound when it comes to the Ebony Pinstripes vs the Clear Pinstripe. The difference in sound has nothing to do with the color but with how the heads are constructed . Clear Pinstripes are made with two plies of 7-mil film. The Ebony Pinstripes are made with two (10- & 5-mil) plies. So it's a little heavier which will make them sound different. Go on Remo's site and look at the Clear Ambassador then look at the Ebony Ambassador. You will notice even Remo list both heads having the same sound and durability qualities. I can't offer much of an opinion on coated heads since I do not use them. I can say that most here do share the same opinions as far as how they sound which is warmer than clear heads. It must be true ! Good luck..

So probably my best combo is Remo Emperor clear for batter, Remo Ambassador clear for resonant, and then Remo Emperor X coated for snare. I'm thinking about getting a PowerStorke 3 for my bass drum, should I get that clear as well?

So probably my best combo is Remo Emperor clear for batter, Remo Ambassador clear for resonant, and then Remo Emperor X coated for snare. I'm thinking about getting a PowerStorke 3 for my bass drum, should I get that clear as well?

Those sound like good choices to me. I've been very happy with the PS3 clear for my bass ;-)

OR....

G2 Clear batter, G1 clear reso. And a reverse power dot on the snare.

And EMAD 2 on the bass drum.

-MA

OR....

G2 Clear batter, G1 clear reso. And a reverse power dot on the snare.

And EMAD 2 on the bass drum.

2nd that combo.

I used REMO Ebony Reso's for years because i liked the look. I also used REMO Ebony Pinstripes for the longest time for the deep sound i got out of them for a metal band i was in. Then i made the switch to EVANS this year and realized what i had been missing out on. Could't be more pleased w/ the Genera line.

Back