New drum throne/stool woes

supermac

After years of using a perfectly adequate mid-range 12-inch diameter drum stool, I decided to upgrade.

I've bought an expensive 14-inch diameter, thick, 'comfortable' sturdy model.

I've set it to the same height as the old one, but the new model has thrown my playing big-style. Ironically, it feels so 'uncomfortable'.

I'm very concious of this new 'softness' under my backside and the extra 2-inch diameter feels like its impeding my thighs and hence my hi-hat and bass drum work.

I really want to use this new stool, having spent money on it, so I'll persevere for a while, but I'm not enjoying it.

A seemingly minor issue, admittedly, but has anyone experienced similar?

Cheers.

force3005

Silver Member
Hi supermac, might try playing with the height adjustment on the stool? Or if someone else can’t think of something, you might have to return it or sell it outright.

newoldie

Silver Member
After years of using a perfectly adequate mid-range 12-inch diameter drum stool, I decided to upgrade.

I've bought an expensive 14-inch diameter, thick, 'comfortable' sturdy model.

I've set it to the same height as the old one, but the new model has thrown my playing big-style. Ironically, it feels so 'uncomfortable'.

I'm very concious of this new 'softness' under my backside and the extra 2-inch diameter feels like its impeding my thighs and hence my hi-hat and bass drum work.

I really want to use this new stool, having spent money on it, so I'll persevere for a while, but I'm not enjoying it.

A seemingly minor issue, admittedly, but has anyone experienced similar?

Cheers.

I felt the same issue when checking out new thrones several years ago. Kind of like Goldilox and the bed that felt just right. Having too much density or cushion height impeded my natural thigh motions and sitting on the edge too much to avoid this almost felt like tipping over. There were several expensive big brands that had this feature- just too much height or circumference overall.
I settled on the Roc n Soc Nitro model- got one with a bicycle seat and the other with a round seat (on which I can sit on the edge w/out feeling close to tipping over). Both seem to be free from that impedance under the thighs.
Maybe you'd feel more natural with a smaller sized seat?

opentune

Platinum Member
I had the same experience, went from a 'hard old school' one to modern softness on a DW throne. Give it time. The softness will go away or you will get used to it (compression of the new foam).
Try not setting it up the same height as the old one. I also sit in a different spot then I would have on my older one.

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
I agree, play around with the height of the throne.

I recently raised the height of mine, just for the hell of it, and it's actually helped. :)

GruntersDad

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Ditto. It may be set at the same height , but it may not play at the same height. The old one is probably compressed from use.

force3005

Silver Member
Hi again supermac. Sorry for the last part of my response to your post yesterday, what I was try too say is, if you can not get comfortable using your new throne and have tried adjusting the height plus what others have said, you might think about returning it. If the shop will not except returns or charges more than lets say a 20% restocking fee, then think about selling it outright to save on any loss if any that you might incurred from when buying it new. Good luck