New Drum Kits?

Z26R-#

Silver Member
Is anyone actually paying for new drums ( Mid to High Level ) at the moment, with prices the way they are? Asking for a Friend..

Yep. Bought some new high end drums very recently. Just took possession of them last week. They were tools that I needed in the toolbox, and I expect them to return my investment in them many times over as I put them to work.

Yep. Bought some new high end drums very recently. Just took possession of them last week. They were tools that I needed in the toolbox, and I expect them to return my investment in them many times over as I put them to work.
What did you buy?

Is anyone actually paying for new drums ( Mid to High Level ) at the moment, with prices the way they are? Asking for a Friend..
I had my snare made by summit, I think I saved, compared to a regular plain Walnut since ply steam bent by other manufacturers...

what I bought new in 2010 has doubled in price today
2300 to 4700

if I could find it; selection availability I see is worse too.
from where i sit, after early-march 2020 everything non-essential changed shifted whatever you want call "it.
I have a few (don't ask) names for it

I did buy one new Ride cymbal this past week.
Price wasn't too bad.
but likely the last of that !

Last edited:
I agree jda

In 2019 it was pure luck with my timing the order of a new Yamaha absolute hybrid maple kit just before things went to hell in 2020 and it only took five months from their factory for my drums to arrive.

That same 4 pc. kit three years later is $1k more

Reactions: jda
If I were in the market for drums, I'd wait a few years in the hopes of price stabilization.

The N&C solid shell drums are what I'd go for. Now is a good time to use what you have rather than buying new IMO. Unless money is of no concern. I got out of the market in 2019, right before the pandemic. No more drums for me, I'm real happy with what I ended up with.

OTOH, the people who do buy drums now are keeping the drum manufacturing industry alive, so I salute them.

I just bought a brand new expensive (to me at least) intermediate level kit with maple blended shells and full set of hardware and cases. I've been looking at this kit for years and haven't been in a financial situation to pull the trigger until now so I bought it, the price was exactly the same as it was when I first started looking at the kit back in 2019. Price didn't go up a penny. Actually, it ended up being $100 less but that is simply because I took a few minutes to have a friendly phone call with a sales rep. Side note: This is the third time in the last few months I got a 'courtesy discount' when there wasn't a sale or anything going on simply because of a friendly phone call. Definitely pays to have a chat with a real person instead of just blindly placing an order online.

Over the past 2 years I slowly built up a new Crosstown hardware setup and then new Paiste 2002s in order to have a second kit. My eventual plan was to get a pro level shell pack either new or used. Most likely a Ludwig kit in player's condition.

I unexpectedly came into some money and decided to pay the current (back in May) price for a Ludwig CM shell pack from SW. I don't feel bad about it, it just happened a lot sooner than I thought.

That being said, I saved some money thru Sweetwater by buying a marked down new 2002 Ride that had an edge nick and a new LM402 that was also marked down because it was a demo drum when I wasn't necessarily in the market for another snare.

I was toying with the idea of a new set to expand my Classic Maples into a shell bank.
Then they took a ridiculous price hike.
Oh well - if the idea sticks, I'll either wait until the crash, or look for a used set.

Last edited:
Curious.. which kit is this ?
PDP Daru Jones New Yorker. Has maple/poplar blended shells and comes with the DW 6000 lightweight hardware pack and matching bags for it all. $1300 for all of it. Not that $1300 is terribly expensive for a 4pc shell pack, 4pc hardware set, and cases, but still.. I typically buy cheaper budget drums so this is the first time in my twenty years behind a kit that I spent 'good' money on drums and/or bought a kit with a higher caliber of build and maple (even if only partially) shells all around.

Last edited:
I bought this less than a year ago, in January 2022. Then I added a tom mount to the bass drum. Peace and goodwill.

100_0566.JPG

I have more drums and cymbals than I need but I still like to look. I'll pounce if I come across a smokin' deal like my Renowns or DWs were but I'll otherwise wait out the inflation and supply chain issues

Reason I'm asking is I offered pre pandemic price on a pre pandemic drum with a " pandemic " price.... from a very well known dealer that I have dealt with for years. They shut me down, won't answer messages. .Pretty Poor I think. and I agree with what most are saying here.. Wait it out.. Asking new prices on older gear might seem a good idea to a dealer but I can't see it building good customer relation as my experience will testify.. If you can buy at todays price and recoup with gigging more power to you..

Last edited:
Back