New Drum Kit

Andy Drummer

Hello fellow drummers!

I'm looking for a great Bop/Big Band kit with an 18 inch bass drum, 12 inch rack tom, 14 inch snare, and a 14 inch floor tom. I honestly have no idea on what I would like besides those specifics listed above and if y'all could help me, that would be great.

From,
Andrew

IBitePrettyHard

If you are going to play with an actual big band, an 18" bass drum won't be enough to compete with the horn section. A 20" or 22" is better for that.

But if you only plan to play the big band style, along with bop, an 18" is great.

Once we know your budget we can help you. :)

Andy Drummer

If you are going to play with an actual big band, an 18" bass drum won't be enough to compete with the horn section. A 20" or 22" is better for that.

But if you only plan to play the big band style, along with bop, an 18" is great.

Once we know your budget we can help you. :)
My budget is $600 and I do plan on playing both big band and in combos like I do now.

IBitePrettyHard

In the early days, big band drummers used 24" bass drums, and more modern drummers use a 22" or maybe a 20". You can get away with an 18 I suppose, but a 20" may be the perfect size to cover both Big Band and Bop.

The best option for your budget is the Yamaha Stage Custom, either the bop configuration 18/12/14 ($500) or the fusion 20/10/12/14/14s ($650). You'd have to buy a snare for the bop kit. The Yamaha Stage Custom snare is actually quite good for $120. But you may as well buy the fusion kit because it comes with a snare and extra tom for $150 more.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Yamaha Stage Custom bop kit is probably the most bang for your buck .... with the added benefit of adding larger drums to it, if/as you need.

ddrum SE FLYER BP is another contender.

2bsticks

Platinum Member
I had a Taye Pro X bop kit, those exact sizes, wasn't using it so I traded it in. Birch & Basswood, great build and sound quality kit. Grabbed it off Reverb for under $400, still might be available where I traded it in? Boston area.

Attachments

wildbill

Platinum Member
There's also a 5 pc. Tama Imperialstar set and a Mapex Mars 4 pc. bop kit new within your budget.
You might be able to find others if you look for a used set.

Other than that, I agree with what IBitePrettyHard says.
The Yamaha Stage Custom bop kit would be the most practical,
especially if you ever plan on expanding the kit with different
sizes at a reasonable price.
But really, I'd recommend going with the 20" bass drum, 5 pc. kit that
has the included snare and extra tom.