New drum kit

Michaelj

I finally picked up my drums on Friday. I've been looking around for a long time, at pretty much everything. I ended up getting a Sonor Prolite kit, sizes are 8x10, 16x16, 17.5x20. The unusual configuration is because the store ordered the kit in for Benny Greb to use in a clinic. The fact that he has played the kit adds a lot of aura to it for me. The only downside is the depth of the kick - I'd have preferred it be a bit shallower, but that's all academic because it sounds fantastic.

Front.jpg

Front 2.jpg

10x8.jpg

Snare is a LM402 which I've had a for a while. I ended up getting the protection racket bags and the hydraulic tama 1st chair throne (I think I've posted some questions to the forum about each of these recently). I'm almost more excited about the throne than the drums at this point - it's amazingly comfortable. It's meant to be a hybrid between the saddle and round seat, and I definitely get that. I feel like I'm falling back into a roc n soc saddle throne a bit, if that makes sense, whereas I can sit more 'on top' of this throne. I'll send some more pics through when I get it all set up with cymbals and so on, but wanted to share the news for now.

Bags and stool.jpg

T_Weaves

Silver Member
Nice kit !! Yeah, it's a matte finish but it still has 2 coats of clear lacquer on it. The gloss finishes have 5. Enjoy. Prolites sound great.

Michaelj

Nice kit !! Yeah, it's a matte finish but it still has 2 coats of clear lacquer on it. The gloss finishes have 5. Enjoy. Prolites sound great.
That's great info, thanks, I didn't realise that. I've been marginally worried about missing the protection you get from lacquer, so that makes me feel a lot better.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Congrats on the beautiful kit! So you’re not gonna complete the vibe and get a Benny Greb snare? That would be a nice addition too ;)

Michaelj

Congrats on the beautiful kit! So you’re not gonna complete the vibe and get a Benny Greb snare? That would be a nice addition too ;)
I was VERY tempted. The kit was set up in the store with the BG snare, since he'd used it in the clinic as well. It matched really nicely, both being a natural wood finish. The supraphonic I already own is more than doing the job right now.

I've actually got vague plans to buy a second snare at some point. My idea is to get something deep, which I can use as a snare/tom (the new 8x14 recording customs or ludwigs, or Tama SLP G Maple, that sort of thing. They seem to be getting more popular at the moment). That will be a while away though, since I still have to pick out a new kick pedal and hi hat stand --
though I think I'm pretty much set on the speed cobras. After that I'll probably need to take a purchasing hiatus for a while!