New drum kit - what to get?

Cameo

Gold Member
Hi,
I'm on the mood for a new kit. Having a tiny problem, though. Can't find anything that suits my needs, so I'll ask you for help. Here's my requirements...

• 10, 12, 14, 16, 20
  • Rather shallow sizes
  • Floor toms on rack (benefits?)
  • No extraordinary finish, keep it simple
  • Versatile tuning possibilities
  • Company with great customer service
  • Around 2000 dollar (used or new)

Hit me!

Hi,
I'm on the mood for a new kit. Having a tiny problem, though. Can't find anything that suits my needs, so I'll ask you for help. Here's my requirements...

• 10, 12, 14, 16, 20
  • Rather shallow sizes

Hit me!
Dammit, fell at the last hurdle ;)

A quick search doesn't yield any results on those sizes in an off the shelf shellpack from Sonor, Mapex or Tama. Looks like you might need to order a fusion size kit and get an add-on 16, perhaps.

Good luck, anyway!

Hi,

• 10, 12, 14, 16, 20
  • Rather shallow sizes

Hit me!

At this price point, please don't bother with entry-level, or even mid-level models. Spend a bit extra and get everything that the brand has to offer. The sound will be as good as can be, the build quality ought to be excellent, and the hardware and finish should hold up nicely over time. Quality control at the factory should be better as well.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with hanging the floor toms. I've never needed my floors to resonate or sustain longer than they already do. If it's a concern, check out the rubber floor tom feet with holes made by Pearl. I'd rather carry six floor tom legs in a hardware bag than a double-braced stand anyway.

I'd stay away from Pearl, because their suspension mounts on the rack toms hold the drums too forcefully, and choke the drums, IMO. Tama's sound great (to me), but their finishes are wild and the hardware is rather ornate. Grestch and Sonor are my sonic favorites, but both are pricey.

Ludwig makes the most sense in your case, I think. Legacy Classic or Exotic with keystone badges! For a simple and timeless finish, maybe clear maple or silver sparkle? The wrap finish may cost less, but it'll hold up for a long, long time, and resist scratching very well. Most vintage drums have wraps and sound fabulous, so I've never believed the marketing hype that the existence of a wrap hampers the sound in any appreciable way.

Good luck!

Hi,

• 10, 12, 14, 16, 20
  • Rather shallow sizes

Hit me!

Im partial to Gretsch so of course Ill recommend them

the New Classics are fantastic and affordable

the new Brooklyn series is absolutely amazing

I personally hate floating floor toms so I wont speak about them because Ill have nothing nice to say :)

as for Gretsch the company.....they are great....I have had awesome customer experiences

its the one company Ive called where you can actually get a rep on the phone without being a dealer

At this price point, please don't bother with entry-level, or even mid-level models. Spend a bit extra and get everything that the brand has to offer. The sound will be as good as can be, the build quality ought to be excellent, and the hardware and finish should hold up nicely over time. Quality control at the factory should be better as well.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with hanging the floor toms. I've never needed my floors to resonate or sustain longer than they already do. If it's a concern, check out the rubber floor tom feet with holes made by Pearl. I'd rather carry six floor tom legs in a hardware bag than a double-braced stand anyway.

I'd stay away from Pearl, because their suspension mounts on the rack toms hold the drums too forcefully, and choke the drums, IMO. Tama's sound great (to me), but their finishes are wild and the hardware is rather ornate. Grestch and Sonor are my sonic favorites, but both are pricey.

Ludwig makes the most sense in your case, I think. Legacy Classic or Exotic with keystone badges! For a simple and timeless finish, maybe clear maple or silver sparkle? The wrap finish may cost less, but it'll hold up for a long, long time, and resist scratching very well. Most vintage drums have wraps and sound fabulous, so I've never believed the marketing hype that the existence of a wrap hampers the sound in any appreciable way.

Good luck!

Nice points. Hate Pearl, their hardware is !"#€%&. Doesn't sound any good either.
I like Yamaha. Nearly bought a Maple Custom Nouveau last year.
Mapex is cool, too. My first kit was from Mapex. Even if it was mid-level, it sounded pretty good.

Im partial to Gretsch so of course Ill recommend them

the New Classics are fantastic and affordable

the new Brooklyn series is absolutely amazing

I personally hate floating floor toms so I wont speak about them because Ill have nothing nice to say :)

as for Gretsch the company.....they are great....I have had awesome customer experiences

its the one company Ive called where you can actually get a rep on the phone without being a dealer

I have a Renown right now, so stepping up to the New Classics could be nice step. I don't know if I like the die-cast hoops, though, and the five lug rack toms.... :(

Forget about suspended floors, rejecting that idea! ;)

I have a Renown right now, so stepping up to the New Classics could be nice step. I don't know if I like the die-cast hoops, though, and the five lug rack toms.... :(

Forget about suspended floors, rejecting that idea! ;)

I have a set of New Classics...they sound amazing...that true Gretsch sound

the cast hoops dont bother me at all ..I think they are a nice compliment to the 30 degree bearing edge ...nice warm sound

and the 5 lug configuration is a standard with Gretsch up to I believe 13" toms for many many years.....so something about it works :)

Hate Pearl, their hardware is !"#€%&.

I’ve never liked the Pearl tom mounting system from a design point of view.

But I’ve beaten the crap out of Pearl cymbal stands, hi-hat stands, clamps, pedals, etc. for decades and found that it’s all extremely durable. I highly recommend it.

Bah, could spend a little more. How much for a Guru? :)
Sorry my friend, I'd love to help, but if we're talking US Dollars, we'd be looking at double your budget for the 5 drums. One hell of a solid shell kit though, & hand crafted precisely to your requirements in every respect.

Good luck with the search though. My personal favourite ply kits are Sonor FWIW, depending on the sound palate you're after, & you should be able to snag something tasty used for your budget. Unless this is to be you're ultimate kit, I wouldn't get too hung up on details like + or - an inch on depth, etc, if you stumble across something that's just right in every other respect.

You got a personal name check in the post though...
Ha, yes :)

the cast hoops dont bother me at all ..I think they are a nice compliment to the 30 degree bearing edge ...nice warm sound

and the 5 lug configuration is a standard with Gretsch up to I believe 13" toms for many many years.....so something about it works :)

i also have a gretsch new classic bop kit. its a great kit.

Dammit, fell at the last hurdle ;)

That's too funny of a post... Thanks for the chuckle.

i also have a gretsch new classic bop kit. its a great kit.

Make this another person who can't say enough wonderful things about the New Classics. Simply great sounding stuff... Assuming it's the sound you are after.

Tama Superstar Hyper drive will get you close...off the shelf, the 5 piece kit won't get you the 14 and the 6 piece won't get you the 20...you could go for the 5 and get the add on. Colors aren't that funky. Red and blue burst, white, mocha fade are pretty classic. Shallow toms. Should be in the cost range you mentioned and a little left for other fun stuff. Good quality intermediate kit.

Tama Superstar Hyper drive will get you close...off the shelf, the 5 piece kit won't get you the 14 and the 6 piece won't get you the 20...you could go for the 5 and get the add on. Colors aren't that funky. Red and blue burst, white, mocha fade are pretty classic. Shallow toms. Should be in the cost range you mentioned and a little left for other fun stuff. Good quality intermediate kit.

The Tama HD kits come with 22" bass drums only, just with variable depths. The difference is 5 piece = 20" deep, 6 piece = 18" deep.

+1

Or

Sonor Ascents
Gretsch Renowns

While I am still a huge fan of Yamaha, to my knowledge they don't really offer any intermediate kits with virgin bass drums other than the Rock tour which is usually a 4 piece setup.

From personal experiences, I'd go for a Mapex Meridian Maple or a Saturn, Tama Silverstar/Superstar Hyperdrive or a Gretsch Renown/New Classic kit. Great kits and great value too! They all have good mounting systems too!

Why do people keep asking this question. It is so easy!!! Saturn!!! :)
I decided to edit this. Please don't buy a Saturn. I don't want everyone else to discover what I have. :)

With that kind of dough I'd would first go for Ludwig Legacy Classics. But I think the best buy for your money at the moment are the Grestch Renowns for around $900 or so.

Back