New drum day

lefty2

Platinum Member
Well my new Ludwig Clubdate Downbeat shell pack surprised me and the dealer today. We were expecting them to arrive late in June, but they showed up today. Turns out they were born on May 17th. I'm a happy camper. I was busy today so I only got to unbox them and play a few notes on each drum. Tomorrow I'll get them set up and play with them some. I played the 8X12 in the store and it sounded great right out of the box. I opened the others at home. The 14X14 sounded very ringy with that ambassador batter on it. I played a few notes with the butt end of a stick on the 14X20 and it sounded great. I can't wait to actually play them. I also bought a bass drum rail mount, but will hold off on putting it on for a while. I'll post better pics at a latter date. My wife thinks they're ugly. I think they look very cool. That's Matt the Ludwig dealer and I in the pic. I'm the short bald guy lol.
5qssnOa.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
RlqbpRt.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
M0FzTpM.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Love the smiles ! A couple of happy campers right there! I really like the colour. I have one of the older club dates circa 2012 ( Cherry/Gum) in the same sizes. The bass drums are just terrific. I ended up putting a vintage Ambassador on the 14' floor which works for my ear. Good on you. Happy Playing.

Congrats! It would be so cool to buy the exact thing you want. Whenever I buy drum stuff it's just things that I think look cool when they come up on the secondhand market.

Is that vintage Onyx?
Yes it is it is called aged onyx. I suppose you could call it nicotine and beer LOL

Congrats! It would be so cool to buy the exact thing you want. Whenever I buy drum stuff it's just things that I think look cool when they come up on the secondhand market.
I played for many many years before I could get some really good gear. This will probably be my last kit that I buy. I'm 59 now and I have three really good kits , at least I think they're really good. 88 model Yamaha power tour custom and 2003 model Tama starclassic performers I bought those used and now this kit

I played for many many years before I could get some really good gear. This will probably be my last kit that I buy. I'm 59 now and I have three really good kits , at least I think they're really good. 88 model Yamaha power tour custom and 2003 model Tama starclassic performers I bought those used and now this kit

Nice. And it's good you got Ludwig in the collection.

I'd give a thumbs up if we had 'em around here.

Very nice !

That exact same kit -model, sizes and finish- is what I would get if I were in the market.

Congrats !

Great looking set of tubs! Love the onyx...looks kind of like butterscotch.
Thank you I like them.

Nice. And it's good you got Ludwig in the collection.
I grew up playing a Ludwig Standard kit, and in the 80s I had a large SL series kit.

I'd give a thumbs up if we had 'em around here.
I'd like a tumbs up too. Sometimes I'd like to acknowledge a post but really don't have much to say.

Very nice !

That exact same kit -model, sizes and finish- is what I would get if I were in the market.

Congrats !
Thank you.

Very nice indeed! I like the single lug design, always wondered why more companies don't do that. And a 5 day turn around from birth to unboxing, now that's impressive. The 18th and 19th was a weekend. Even more impressive!

What does your wife think is ugly about them? Ah, who cares, she is wrong!

I like the single lug design, always wondered why more companies don't do that.

While quite a few companies have offered tuxedo kits, the trend to smaller dual lugs is due to the ease of manufacture and assembly, arguably more tuning stability, and fewer complications due to load-in/out. Some feel that dual-lugs have a cleaner aesthetic.

On the flip side, tuxedo kits put less stress on the shell when tension is applied from both sides, which allows manufacturers to use thinner shells.

I guess the TLDR is that both lug types have advantages and disadvantages, and not everyone looks good in a tux.

f92RncQ.jpg

While quite a few companies have offered tuxedo kits, the trend to smaller dual lugs is due to the ease of manufacture and assembly, arguably more tuning stability, and fewer complications due to load-in/out. Some feel that dual-lugs have a cleaner aesthetic.

On the flip side, tuxedo kits put less stress on the shell when tension is applied from both sides, which allows manufacturers to use thinner shells.

I guess the TLDR is that both lug types have advantages and disadvantages, and not everyone looks good in a tux.

f92RncQ.jpg

See your kit looks really good also with single lugs.

I have to question the first point though. As someone who assembles musical equipment for a living, less parts means faster assembly time. It also means less machine time as less holes have to be drilled. I will say though, the time would be negligible. It might only be an extra minute per shell.

I can see how potential damage could occur easier with only one lug, hadn't thought of that. And you are totally correct about not everyone looks good in a tux!

Back