New Drum Book "Break Beat"

breakbeat1987

1.jpg
Hello. I'm the author of a new book. If you are interested in the full version, write to: fender414@mail.ru

This book is recommended for anyone who wants to learn how to play complex rhythmic patterns of Jungle, Drum’n’Bass, Break Beat, Dubstep, Big Beat, etc. The book will also help you perform various styles and genres, which require creativity, ingenuity, and innovative thinking, including electronic and dance music of various types, as well as experimental styles of music.
This workbook will help you develop your improvisation and the ability to change the rhythmic pattern. You can either play the patterns by 1, 2, or 4 bars, or play a theme in whole. Thus, you will develop the way of thinking to create your own patterns.
‘Break Beat’ will suit those who want to expand their rhythmic vocabulary, diversify their playing, and find new ideas.

breakbeat1987

The book was influenced by the books of drummers Johnny Rabb and Mike Adamo. As well as drummers Dennis Chambers, Benny Greb and drummer JoJo Mayer and his project Nerve

breakbeat1987

I would like to know your questions about the book. I also wanted to find out if there are any other similar books? All I know so far is Johnny Rabb's book

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
I also wanted to find out if there are any other similar books? All I know so far is Johnny Rabb's book
Hello, you may find my own Time Manipulation drum book interesting.
It is available both in print and ebook formats.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
View attachment 94838
Hello. I'm the author of a new book. If you are interested in the full version, write to: fender414@mail.ru

This book is recommended for anyone who wants to learn how to play complex rhythmic patterns of Jungle, Drum’n’Bass, Break Beat, Dubstep, Big Beat, etc. The book will also help you perform various styles and genres, which require creativity, ingenuity, and innovative thinking, including electronic and dance music of various types, as well as experimental styles of music.
This workbook will help you develop your improvisation and the ability to change the rhythmic pattern. You can either play the patterns by 1, 2, or 4 bars, or play a theme in whole. Thus, you will develop the way of thinking to create your own patterns.
‘Break Beat’ will suit those who want to expand their rhythmic vocabulary, diversify their playing, and find new ideas.
Nice, I really appreciate the work that without a doubt went in this project of yours! I wish you good success with it.

If I may suggest something: Maybe you want to make the layout a bit more attractive? What immediately caught my attention was the fact that some note stems are upwards and some are downwards, just the way the software automatically chose to do, it seems. To make it more reader-friendly I'd chance one of them – preferably the ones that look down. If you check the layout of most books (i.e. Johnny Rabb's) you see they have their notes written in a consistent manner, normally with the stems on top.

When it comes to more complex groove notation, many choose to write in two voices, the hi-hat being one voice, bass drum and snare being the other. It means that all the hi-hat notes will have their stems going upwards, and all the bass drum and snare notes have theirs downwards. This way the reader can quickly get what's going on: The eye easily apprehends the hi-hat pattern (i.e. an offbeat pattern). It's a matter of taste though, I guess.

The second thing: I'd delete «drum set» at the beginning of each page. To me it looks like using the default settings of a notation program without thinking about layout at all.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
I made you a quick example of what I mean using one of your measures.

A is the original notation
B is what I would do for sure
C is what I prefer to read (except for absolutely simple patterns)

Attachments

breakbeat1987

Nice, I really appreciate the work that without a doubt went in this project of yours! I wish you good success with it.

If I may suggest something: Maybe you want to make the layout a bit more attractive? What immediately caught my attention was the fact that some note stems are upwards and some are downwards, just the way the software automatically chose to do, it seems. To make it more reader-friendly I'd chance one of them – preferably the ones that look down. If you check the layout of most books (i.e. Johnny Rabb's) you see they have their notes written in a consistent manner, normally with the stems on top.

When it comes to more complex groove notation, many choose to write in two voices, the hi-hat being one voice, bass drum and snare being the other. It means that all the hi-hat notes will have their stems going upwards, and all the bass drum and snare notes have theirs downwards. This way the reader can quickly get what's going on: The eye easily apprehends the hi-hat pattern (i.e. an offbeat pattern). It's a matter of taste though, I guess.

The second thing: I'd delete «drum set» at the beginning of each page. To me it looks like using the default settings of a notation program without thinking about layout at all.

Thank you very much for such a detailed and detailed answer! I really appreciate that you took the time to write your opinion! Thanks! I will consider!