"New" cymbals.

jer

Silver Member
I've had this 20" Zildjian from the 70's for about 8 years and never really played it much - really doesn't match my playing style or my other cymbals.

Last week I got a good deal on some hats from the same era via cl, the stamps match the ride and I thought I'd try them out together.

The hats have developed a good amount of grime, haven't been cleaned in some time, (just the way I like 'em). I assume the ride was cleaned not to long before I took possession, it's still really bright and shiny. I've been playing a 90's A Medium since the 90's - this 70's guys is thin in comparison and I had forgotten how easily it opens up.

Anyways, I call this piece, "The cymbals played me", cause they just took over this jam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei_A68oMvV4

PS - I know I made a typo...

Yes, that ride really does open up with very little input. It has a pleasing character but misses out on the stick definition for me. Make a great 2nd ride for funk & pop stuff. Nice playing though Jer. Something very wholesome about playing kick & snare.

Thanks Andy!

The ride's lack of definition is the leading cause for it to have not seen much use in the time I've had it, it'll probably go back to it's home in my bag o' cymbals that don't get any use, the hats on the other hand will see some action.

the hats sounds pretty nice man. how much where they? nice playing.

Jer, I found the cymbal too open as well. Have you tried putting a little gaffa tape on the underside?

Didn't even cross my mind Polly, although slightly reluctant to dampen a cymbal, it wouldn't hurt to try - thanks for the suggestion!

the hats sounds pretty nice man. how much where they? nice playing.

Thanks for the comment!

I got the hats for $110, CAD. Although there's a longer story on how I acquired the 20", it was essentially "traded" for a Zildjian Scimitar ride.

man thats a damn good price! good work hehe.

Didn't even cross my mind Polly, although slightly reluctant to dampen a cymbal, it wouldn't hurt to try - thanks for the suggestion!

The way I see it, Jer, if a ride cymbal isn't making you happy, especially if it opens too quickly, then all you lose by trying a bit of tape is a bit of time and mess.

When I've used gaffer I start with a very small amount of tape (maybe a 1" strip) and experiment with placement. If it's not enough, you can always add more. It's a fine line because I like those glancing mini-crashes and I don't want to muffle them out. As KIS said, the tone is good so if you can get it to settle down a bit, all the better.

Back