New Cymbal Spinning on It's Own

Brandtwi

I just bought a new Zildjian K 22" Constantinople ride & a Zildjian 20" K Custom Left Hand ride. I put then on a cymbal stand with writing on the cymbal straight up, but they spin own their own until they get to where they want to be. Is this because they are hand made & maybe a little heavier on part of the cymbal that ends up on the bottom? My Zildjian A Series cymbals do not do this.

Soulfinger

Yup, the weight is distributed unevenly across the cymbal. Balance it on a fingertip and you will see.
My K Con does it too, but I have my cymbals rather flat so it is not as noticeable.
The worst cymbal in that regard I ever had was a Meinl Byzance Symmetry (!!!) ride. Didn´t live up to its name at all. :)

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Pretty much all cymbals have their weight distributed somewhat unevenly, but some more than others. It does not seem to me that cymbal companies take that into consideration when they do the ink stamping.

I don't think a single one of my cymbals naturally sit with the logos facing up, but it only bothers me when ride cymbals want to put the biggest ink stamp right under where my stick falls so I end up putting black marks on my drumheads because of it.

Generally though, logo orientation doesn't bother me at all.

Mongrel

Silver Member
I don't think a single one of my cymbals naturally sit with the logos facing up,

Generally though, logo orientation doesn't bother me at all.
None of my Zildjians do either. lol

They all seem to sit East-to-West, most times with "Zildjian" on the left at the 9 o'clock position.

Doesn't bother me either.

Last edited:

Peedy

Best way to tell if and where your cymbals are unevenly weighted is to swap out your regular felt with one from a HH clutch. The stand will need to be pointed straight up, of course. Felt's smaller diameter will allow the cymbal to lean where it wants to go. Pretty sure everything I own 16 inch and up leans at least a little.

And don't go by your eyes. Measure from edge to floor.

Pete

gdmoore28

Gold Member
They all seem to sit East-to-West, most times with "Zildjian" on the left at the 3 o'clock position.
If you are talking about the cymbals' orientation from the driver's seat, "left" would be 9 o'clock. "right" would be 3 o'clock, with "left" being west, and "right" being east as we traditionally read maps and clocks. Am I missing something?

GeeDeeEmm
1575746757963.png
1575746817041.png

Mongrel

Silver Member
If you are talking about the cymbals' orientation from the driver's seat, "left" would be 9 o'clock. "right" would be 3 o'clock, with "left" being west, and "right" being east as we traditionally read maps and clocks. Am I missing something?

GeeDeeEmm
View attachment 88822
View attachment 88823
What do ya want from me Mister??????!!!!!

OOPS! You got me man.... lol

Nice graphic btw!

Post edited to reflect the latest information received.

(mildly dyslexic...)

gdmoore28

Gold Member
What do ya want from me Mister??????!!!!!

OOPS! You got me man.... lol

Nice graphic btw!

Post edited to reflect the latest information received.

(mildly dyslexic...)
Isn't it odd how minutia like that pop into our heads? (Or, at least, into my head!)

What's been bugging me lately when it comes to language is the widespread use of the word "amount" when it should be "number." I see these two words misused over and over again by newsreaders, reporters, and commercial writers - the very people who should know better. Where are their editors?

Just a few days ago I heard a reporter for a major news network refer to the "large amount of people who turned out for the protest." No! It should have been the "large number of people."

As I said, it's odd how such nonsense pops into my (so-called) mind. (Especially since my own English skills have become so bad that I've had to resort to using Grammarly to catch my errors. Grammarly is a free download and saves a lot of embarrassment over bad grammar.)

GeeDeeEmm

Mr Farkle

I have a Custom Dark K that rotates sideways almost immediately. Both of my Istanbul’s are heavy on one side but both sit with the logo facing me. One leans visibly so I always thought that they must have purposely put the logo in the “right” place on it. It’s also the best sounding, most complex and controlled cymbal that I own. I wonder if it’s lack of symmetry has anything to do with that.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

yeah...if they are hand spun, I would want these little imperfections. I am sure that it gives them a characteristic sound. I have been playing for 40+ years, and never even thought about this till right now...wierd