New Cymbal Initiation?

justinxIP

Just bought a Zildjian Sweet Ride from craigslist today! I've wanted one for a looooong time and I'm really satisfied with my find.

As most of you fellow craigslisters know, cymbals are not always in mint condition when you buy them. My Sweet Ride isn't in bad condition but there's a fair amount of stick marks and such.
Just wanted to get your thoughts on how to clean the cymbal.
I know there's a whole sticky thread about cleaning cymbals but I don't want to go out and buy products to make it look like it's brand new. I just want some tips on giving it a general cleaning to kind of initiate it into my collection. I'm going to be playing it, not putting it on display, so, again, i just want a general clean!
And what do you guys do to keep your cymbals looking good in general? If you wipe it down or such, how often? and how? (Is using a slightly damp paper towel a bad idea??)

Please don't go off about the cymbal cleaning products. There may be a day that I want to go that route. Today is not that day :)

Thanks guys!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
If it's heavily patina'd and completely filthy you may need something stronger. But for a good general clean, old fashioned detergent, water and a bit of elbow grease will do the trick. Give it a thorough dry with a towel when you're done and let that baby do it's thing.