New custom concert snare!

mandrew

Gold Member
This is the new custom concert snare that I just finished. It is a 14x5 7 ply magnum Keller shell with 45 degree bearing edges. Pearl triad strainer and cables. I designed he wrap myself. It is abalone with a cream pearl inlay with black trim. Heads are Remo 2 mil reso, and Diplomat M5 coated batter. Crispy!
No, the wrap doesn't affect the tone . . .

Attachments

• IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 194
Dig the wrap it's way cool, but that strainer not so much. It overwhelms the rest of the drums aesthetics. It's out of proportion to the architecture of rest of drum.

This is the new custom concert snare that I just finished. It is a 14x5 7 ply magnum Keller shell with 45 degree bearing edges. Pearl triad strainer and cables. I designed he wrap myself. It is abalone with a cream pearl inlay with black trim. Heads are Remo 2 mil reso, and Diplomat M5 coated batter. Crispy!

I love it! Nice design... the lugs, strainer, wrap.... beautiful.
Is it for you personally? Where will you play it?

“Dig the wrap it’s way cool,but that strainer not so much.” Yeah it is a piece of hardware but fairly typical what you find on concert snares-and diecast hoops too. That is one gorgeous concert snare- did you design the wrap you just put on or piece meal that abalone and added the pearl inlay by hand? I bet it is crisp- this is for you personally right?

Did you design the wrap you just put on or piece meal that abalone and added the pearl inlay by hand? I bet it is crisp- this is for you personally right?

I design what I wanted in a concert snare. I also wanted something distinctive, so I decided to design my own wrap. I searched for good images of abalone I then selected sections and put them together into a larger image I cropped out the best part, and joined them to form a 46" wrap. I then added a black layer and overlaid it with a pearl strip. The drum is very sensitive with the 5 mil coated head. It is one of a kind.

Dig the wrap it's way cool, but that strainer not so much. It overwhelms the rest of the drums aesthetics. It's out of proportion to the architecture of rest of drum.

Rattlin' Bones, it's a snare strainer especially designed for concert work. There are actually three snare types there. Pearl used them on their Philharmonic snares. Several drum companies now do the multi-snare system, but Pearl's is the simplest and the best.

Beautiful drum Mandrew! Have as much fun playing Delecluse etudes as you did building it!

Yeah I know all about that type of strainer. In the back row of the orchestra nobody in audience ever saw the wrap of a drum I was playing. This drum is obviously meant to look good. Judging by that, it just doesn't work.

Rattlin' Bones, it's a snare strainer especially designed for concert work. There are actually three snare types there. Pearl used them on their Philharmonic snares. Several drum companies now do the multi-snare system, but Pearl's is the simplest and the best.

Beautiful drum Mandrew! Have as much fun playing Delecluse etudes as you did building it!

Back