New "Crosstown" lightweight stands from Yamaha

Yes, several of us have commented on this in reviews above, but it may seem buried...

In short, it is NOT possible to rotate the legs on the 3 series hi-hat stand.

The reason being is the leg support collar is integrated into the top part of the base frame... so if you loosened the 3 screws that secure it to the tube, you would just be rotating the entire bottom assembly... i.e. footboard along with the legs.

The leg stance is also slightly more narrow than the 700 series (10" vs 11" radius) so also don't think it's possible to squeeze in a slave pedal through the legs. I didn't test this, but can possibly later today... not optimistic though.

Could I clamp shallow single headed toms like on this Farmer nesting kit on the cymbals stands?

4DUxNSB.jpg

Picture has the UL DW stuff.

The problem is not the stability of the stand, or the weight of the drum, it’s the clamping onto aluminum. The clamp could crush the Crosstown tube if tightened too much. As I have the same issue, I recently added a dbl Tom mount to the Crosstown base to save some weight and added a boom arm for the cymbal as well. Seems to work. You can also add the upper tube of a different stand to the base and clamp to that. Again, you’re still saving the weight of a heavier base at least.

I’ll add a pic later...

That's what I was thinking, so some single braced standdars stuff is probably better. Tama classic, Yamaha 700 etc..

Would work for cymbals on a bop setup, but not being able to put a cowbell, tambourine, pandeiro, iPad or whatever on it kinda makes it a no-go.

Last edited:
Some great reviews here. I have a question about the hardware bag for those who own a set.

Is this bag capable of holding a Roc-N-Soc throne with bicycle seat and a pedal in addition to the stands?

I clamp a cowbell on the top tube of the HH stand, and it's fine - no indentation and no marks.

Hanging a tom shouldn't be a problem on the cymbal stand. Then again, if you're using light hardware, would you intend for it to hold a tom? It's been almost 30 years since I attached a tom to a cymbal stand so maybe I'm out of the loop on that.

Bermuda

I'm just thinking about how I want my small travel/rehearsal kit set up.

I'm might even end up combining DW UL and Crosstown stands for all I know.

The idea is just something I can play that I can put in my car without really noticing it that's light, easy and super fast to set up.

I ordered a Crosstown hardware pack and it arrived last weekend. I love it. Every time I pick up one of the stands, it blows my mind how light it is. I have not been experiencing any issues with stands moving around so far.

Anyone know what the velcro strap that comes in the bag is for? I thought maybe to tie the stands together once they're in the individual sleeves, but that doesn't really work.

Anyone know what the velcro strap that comes in the bag is for? I thought maybe to tie the stands together once they're in the individual sleeves, but that doesn't really work.

I believe that is to hold the hh pedal in place when collapsed.

I played on the hi-hat stand and also the snare stand and saw the cymbal stands and it feels like the real solid Yamaha hardware but super light!

I have a Tama snarestand, the good thing is that it is very compact, but it doesn't go up and the snare-basket is a deal breaker for me because it is not stable. The DW hardware is total crap IMHO.

So, unless you want something very small to fit in a small backpack (Tama), I would go for the Yamaha!!!

So the CS3 Cymbal Stand´s top tube is 12,7mm / 1/2inch - meaning any other 12,7mm arm assembly can be used instead.

Can any of the CS3 owners confirm if the nylon gasket will also hold smaller rods securely?
i.e. 10,5mm Z-Rod or even 9mm Rod for mounting Cowbells / Percussion.
What´s the minimum?

So the CS3 Cymbal Stand´s top tube is 12,7mm / 1/2inch - meaning any other 12,7mm arm assembly can be used instead.
Yes, and balancing the weight of the added components across the leg stance is key to stability.
Can any of the CS3 owners confirm if the nylon gasket will also hold smaller rods securely?
i.e. 10,5mm Z-Rod or even 9mm Rod for mounting Cowbells / Percussion.
What´s the minimum?
The variation in ID of the plastic insert between loose and tight settings is minimal and I doubt that it will hold 10.5mm or 9.5mm rods securely. But I can test it later today to be sure.

Thanks - that would be nice!
You’re quite welcome. I just tried 10.5mm and 9.5mm L-rods (Gibraltar SC-LRM and SC-LRS respectively) and both are indeed too small in diameter... and significantly so. Considering the 2.2mm difference between 10.5mm and 12.7mm alone I guess it shouldn’t be surprising, but we now know for certain.

Without knowing your requirements, here’s some other options to consider:

- Wrap a small section of narrow-wall rubber hose or thick-wall rubber tubing around your accessory arm to shore up the difference in diameters.

This may not hold well for heavier gear or repetitive heavy hitting so the next two options are what I use...

- Insert a Yamaha TH-904 3-hole mount platform into the bottom section of the CS3, move the middle and top CS3 sections to one of the holes in the TH-904 and use the other two holes to mount your accessories.

The TH-904 has three 22.2mm holes (same diameter as the main tube) that cleanly accept third-party accessory/cymbal/tom arms with 12.7, 10.5 and 9.5mm L-rods:

- Use a multi-clamp with rubber inserts like the Sonor 600 series to prevent crimping/denting the CS3 tubing:

I have also used other brand multi-clamps without rubber insulation and just inserted a section of automotive heater hose to protect the clamping area.

Great, that´s what I needed to know.

Thanks for the tips on multi-clamping. I would definitely want to avoid denting or scratching these stands with clamps when I get them.
I have an old Gibraltar AX aluminum snare stand that I bought used. Its lower tube is heavily dented from someone tightening down the wingscrew for the legs too hard.

But it seems with the crosstown hardware the weight savings will totally make up for treating your hardware a bit more careful.

I recently got a set of these plus an additional cymbal stand. The light weight is astounding! The included case easily fits the additional stand, my kick pedal and stick bad.

I was getting an old 1983 Yamaha Recording Custom set back together after many years in storage. I had previously used super heavy 80’s double braced Tama boom, snare and HH stands. Just lifting them out of the basement made me realize at my age, I needed something lighter. ?

The look and quality is 1st class Yamaha. They look like they belong with the 1983 drums as well as looking modern. I wouldn’t try to mount a Tom on one but even my 22” Rock ride is stable on these. I have a 1983 Tama Mastercraft 6.5 in steel snare which is HEAVY and it’s rock solid. My only minor gripe is the spring on the HH. It’s non adjustable and a tad on the light side for my 14” New Beats. Otherwise - Highly recommend.

Last edited:
The hope is YAMAHA will expand the CROSSTOWN line, boom stand, throne, big challenges... but what else they got to do?

Maybe not the same featherweight spec's on the boom and throne, but looking the same sexy as the other CROSSTOWN stuff, and lighter than one would expect. GO YAMAHA!
Hey Les
I hope you enjoy your HW3 kit as much as I enjoy mine. I’m 79 but still play 2/3 times a week so this lightweight kit is a Godsend. I have downsized everything to get to less weight so I haven’t thought of a boom stand as I am down to two big Cymbals an 18 and 20 inch ride crash and a pair of 14 inch hats. I play mainly Country Classic and Jazz with a smattering of 70svSoft Rock
so don’t need a lot of Cymbals. I do have 2- 10in Splash cymbals so if I need a splash sound I stack one on the crashes with a riser rod.
I two am very impressed with the quality of construction of the stands. I received mine in July and it has been used 2 to 3 times per week without any quality concerns. I use a 10 lug heavy chrome Pearl/Coronet snare for Country/Rock stuff and was concerned it might be theavy for the stand but no problems to date.

Has anyone tried undoing that screw and seeing if the hi hat legs will rotate so that a double pedal can be squeezed in there?
Yes & it cannot be moved. I found it a royal pain trying to use my double pedal with it that I have gone back to using my usual HH Stand & will save the Crosstown for whenever I just use a single.

Back