New "Crosstown" lightweight stands from Yamaha

It's about time! Who needs a heavy-weight hi-hat stand or snare stand? Who hangs anything on those? But the jury's still out on the cymbal stands/booms, I think. And who makes a reliable, light-weight, adjustable throne? I could use one.

Well I'm glad I kept the boxes to my DW Ultralight stands in the garage, that way they'll be easier to post on eBay.
The Yamaha hi hat stand especially looks like it addresses the instability of the DW, and these also look like *proper" stands too.

I really hope that they pull this off.

Re: The boom.

Looking at my kit, I could very well place the two crashes on straight stands. The ride, however, requires a boom. I'd need Crosstown pack + a 700-series boom.

Re: Steel + Aluminum...

You'd have to do something that broke through the topcoat of both pieces, and introduce a medium through which galvanization can take place (moisture). Will have to wait and see hot this works out. I've not yet seen this become an issue on other mixed-alloy hardware.

The talk of boom arms made me do a double check. Watch the YouTube video at the 40 second mark and it clearly shows several different top sections, including a boom arm and a hanging tom, being fitted into the upright tube so boom arms and multi clamped equipment shouldn't be a problem.
The main issue around whether or not you can fit a boom on a stand and have it remain stable is the spread of the legs on the tripod, the weight is secondary by quite a distance. In fact weight is the wrong word, it's the stiffness of the overall structure and I can't see that being an issue with the tube diameter. Anyway the legs on these look to be in the ball park of that on "standard" stands so unless someone is placing a very heavy cymbal on the end of a very long boom (something which will challenge all but the absolute top line of tour designed stands) then I don't see it as being a problem

The talk of boom arms made me do a double check. Watch the YouTube video at the 40 second mark and it clearly shows several different top sections, including a boom arm and a hanging tom, being fitted into the upright tube so boom arms and multi clamped equipment shouldn't be a problem.
The main issue around whether or not you can fit a boom on a stand and have it remain stable is the spread of the legs on the tripod, the weight is secondary by quite a distance. In fact weight is the wrong word, it's the stiffness of the overall structure and I can't see that being an issue with the tube diameter. Anyway the legs on these look to be in the ball park of that on "standard" stands so unless someone is placing a very heavy cymbal on the end of a very long boom (something which will challenge all but the absolute top line of tour designed stands) then I don't see it as being a problem

If that's the case, I could definitely see a set of these in my future, using my existing Yamaha boom top sections.

I love the look of these and the weight savings they will bring.

HOWEVER I am a committed double pedal user and the hihat stand appears to not be a swiveling model, which is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

Looks like I'll be lugging my old hihat stand in that bag with the lightweight everything else.

Fits standard YAMAHA components (due to the clamping knuckle), which is great, but steel, more weight. A good compromise.

Love the Summer NAMM vids, they waste an opportunity by failing to go into detail, pretty lame IMO.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 11.43.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 11.43.52 AM.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,000
HOWEVER I am a committed double pedal user and the hihat stand appears to not be a swiveling model, which is a bit of a deal breaker for me.
I wouldn't completely rule it out. My DTX700 came with a stand that didn't swivel, but all I had to do was back out a set screw on the lower collar, rotate it where I wanted it, and engage the screw again. It's probably likely that I could find a wing nut to fit or tap out the hole to fit a standard Yamaha wing nut, but I haven't seen the need yet

Since it's the same company, there's a good chance that it's the same principle design.

Edit:
HW3_p_0004_2000x878_a3660818bfb0c24eda2eb88136e6dde6.jpg

There it is.

I'm going to get the HH stand. The weight on my current one in 9.3 lbs, the Yamaha is 4.8! Saving 4.5 lbs may not seem like much, but every little bit helps!

I'll stick with my other stands, older Ludwig 1400 cymbal & 1355 snare, which are slimmer and weigh close to the new Yamahas. :)

Bermuda

Last edited:
Im getting an HH3 also.

Will prob have the set screw(s) removed tapped and HELI COILED to make it a swivel base.

My AXIS is 7 lbs the (now) Old Skool light weight HH stand king.

Musician's Fiend ships July 23... they say.

Thanks for making me regret my lightweight Tama purchase within 6 months, Yamaha.

Me too. I just bought a set of DW 6000 hardware a few months ago. This Yamaha stuff looks like it would be better. I've always liked Yamaha products anyway.

If they're releasing boom tops that fit to my Hexrack - I'm all in!!!!

Used Yamaha hardware for nearly 40 years - never an issue - still use my HH stand from 1986.

Do they still make your Hex Rack? All I see are the massive ones. None with short tubes and curved legs like yours?!

Anybody know when they'll actually be available?

MF has some stuff coming in on July 23 (says their shipping date), may be some HH stands. They told me the cymbal stand (CS3) would be in that day, tho the HH's are now moved back to 8/30. Just ordered both today.

So one could deduce they sold out of their first allotment of HH stands (23rd) and now onto the second shipment 8/30, but who knows, those kids working the phones at MF aren't always right, and orders can come early.

I wouldn't completely rule it out. My DTX700 came with a stand that didn't swivel, but all I had to do was back out a set screw on the lower collar, rotate it where I wanted it, and engage the screw again. It's probably likely that I could find a wing nut to fit or tap out the hole to fit a standard Yamaha wing nut, but I haven't seen the need yet

Since it's the same company, there's a good chance that it's the same principle design.

Edit:
HW3_p_0004_2000x878_a3660818bfb0c24eda2eb88136e6dde6.jpg

There it is.

Superb: thank you very much indeed.

Back