New "Crosstown" lightweight stands from Yamaha

These may be the stands that get me away from the Yamaha 700 series. I wonder how much stuff you can mount on them, and still have them be stable.

Great idea. Its about time really, hardware innovations like these are something that can really help out gigging drummers. Not sure you could mount other side arms off these, given the low weight. On an aesthetic note, they don't look quite as cool as regular stands, but who cares with the weight saving.

Does look interesting but I can't find being sold yet? Found this: The Yamaha HW3 Advanced Lightweight Hardware Pack (MSRP: $668.00) is scheduled to ship in June 2018. Individual components are also sold separately:
CS3 Advanced Lightweight Cymbal Stand: $149.00 MSRP
SS3 Advanced Lightweight Snare Stand: $149.00 MSRP
HHS3 Advanced Lightweight Hi-Hat Stand: $215.00 MSRP

I love yamaha, they always just seem to think things through a little better. 17lbs is just awesome, am curious to see how the stuff will hold up over time.

Does look interesting but I can't find being sold yet? Found this: The Yamaha HW3 Advanced Lightweight Hardware Pack (MSRP: $668.00) is scheduled to ship in June 2018. Individual components are also sold separately:
CS3 Advanced Lightweight Cymbal Stand: $149.00 MSRP
SS3 Advanced Lightweight Snare Stand: $149.00 MSRP
HHS3 Advanced Lightweight Hi-Hat Stand: $215.00 MSRP

Here ya go:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c1181--Yamaha--Drum_Hardware/newest

Not sure you could mount other side arms off these, given the low weight.

That's what I was thinking too, on closer inspection. Also, the fact that they don't offer a boom stand makes me think the stands may be easily thrown off balance. Right now, aside from snare and hihat stands, I've got 8", 12", and 15" toms, 18", 19", and 20" crashes, a 10" splash, and a 20" ride all mounted on two 700 series cymbal stands.

Still want to check them out in person though.

I believe these were just released at NAMM today, so they're not in stores yet. But I'd like to check them out. I'm curious about two things so far: (1) there's no boom stand, which I would prefer, and (2) I'm tall, and prefer to sit a little higher. That snare stand looks like it might not go as high as I'd like. (One way to save weight is to make the tubes shorter...)

Aluminum.
Curious to see if there's long term corrosion on any aluminum to steel contact points.
Other than that, it sounds great if you have to lug it around.

I'm just starting to think seriously about buying a set of lightweight hardware. Yamaha has a pretty sterling reputation. If I hear enough good things from the right people, I would consider buying.

That's what I was thinking too, on closer inspection. Also, the fact that they don't offer a boom stand makes me think the stands may be easily thrown off balance. Right now, aside from snare and hihat stands, I've got 8", 12", and 15" toms, 18", 19", and 20" crashes, a 10" splash, and a 20" ride all mounted on two 700 series cymbal stands.

Still want to check them out in person though.

I think this is clearly being pitched at the quick in-out minimalist kinds of guys, not those with a master's degree in multi-clamping.

The video shows that the stand bases are interchangeable with regular boom stand tops so I think it's a weight-saving issue, not a stability issue that these are straight stands.

I think this is clearly being pitched at the quick in-out minimalist kinds of guys, not those with a master's degree in multi-clamping.

The video shows that the stand bases are interchangeable with regular boom stand tops so I think it's a weight-saving issue, not a stability issue that these are straight stands.

If that's the case, and it's not a stability issue, I suppose I could always just trade out the top sections for my booms. Very intriguing either way.

Will check them out, weight-wise they're in the ballpark (compared to my '60s Ludwig stands I use in town.)

Size-wise, the cymbal & snare stands are much bulkier than my old stands (and weigh a bit more,) but the lighter hi-hat stand definitely appeals to me. :)

Bermuda

HH that weighs 4.80 lbs? Nice.

Is the CS3 tilter 'infinite' adjust? Im not a fan of offset tilters as they're more prone to breakage if dropped in a bag.

SS3 (snare stand) weighs 3.20, that's more than a half pound lighter than my TAMA CLASSIC (3.80)! TAMA CLASSIC will fold up smaller* and has a smaller foot print, but had the SS3 been available at the time, I would've chosen it over the TAMA.

TAMA had SPARTAN in the 70-80's but SPARTAN did not have universal diameter, cast aluminum pipe clamps, nor the 'non biting' beveled grommets. The small wing screws are cool too!

*TAMA blew it on the design of the CLASSIC snare basket IMO. The in/out adjustable center arm can be secured with a wing screw, this needs not be. The weight of the snare drum will hold the arm in place. With the addition of the wing screw the top portion of the stand will not fold flat against itself- LAME! Removing the screw allows the basket to fold flat and... you lose 0.07 lbs plus gain a 6mm wing screw for duty elsewhere.

Also on the TAMA lightweight snare stand the memory lock on the top tube is positioned to where it meets the base 180 degrees in error. See pics. They should've just made access to the key nut on the opposite side. When you go to put the ky on you clink up against the wing nut, you can see they angled the key nut, but once you finally get the drum key on turning becomes an annoying process as your hands/fingers are bumping into the wing screw. Not well thought out IMO. Either a new millennial hire came up with the positioning idea, or someone who needs to retire already.

Attachments

• IMG_3612.jpg
    IMG_3612.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,248
  • Tama.jpg
    Tama.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,248
  • Tama 11.png
    Tama 11.png
    103.8 KB · Views: 792
  • Tama 22.png
    Tama 22.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 791
Last edited:
If they're releasing boom tops that fit to my Hexrack - I'm all in!!!!

Used Yamaha hardware for nearly 40 years - never an issue - still use my HH stand from 1986.

You rich kids with YAMAHA racks are not on the radar.

Not rich - practical. 6 piece with a smaller footprint than a 4 piece with two cymbal stands, & sets up fast too :)

YAMAHA HEX RACK is a rich kids toy.

No 'poor people who have to lug their gear in the back of a car lightweight stuff' for you. Get a roadie rich kid!

They do need an CS3 boom tho, I think its down the road.

Back