New "Crosstown" lightweight stands from Yamaha

Sonorfan

Some great reviews here. I have a question about the hardware bag for those who own a set.

Is this bag capable of holding a Roc-N-Soc throne with bicycle seat and a pedal in addition to the stands?
I have had a kit since 2019 and while the bag has lots of room I’m not sure it’s designed to carry a heavy throne. I’ve carried a Cow Bell on a small chrome steel stand plus my Iron Cobra 900 S pedal which is not small or light.
While using the bag in this manner works it adds a lot of weight to the original 20lbs Crosstown hardware that the kit is designed to carry. If your concerned about tearing the vinyl seat on your throne I’ll tell you what I’ve done. I use a common Gym bag that zippers from both sides. Place it over the seat, close zippers from each side
to the middle, fold the legs and voila’
it’s like having the throne in a carrying case. Yes, it’s still a separate item but I’m not sure the Crosswtown bag would have longevity if it had to accomodate a heavy item.

Sonorfan

I have the Crosstown kit and the tension on the hi hat is not adjustable but it’s easy to keep the cymbals closed for Rock as it’s light. I like it because when used for Jazz I can double pedal for a splash effect much easier than I could ever do with either my Yamaha or Premier hat. My hat cymbals are 14in light weight Sabians, actually B8X crash models because I like the bright sound. I buy and sell some drum items and actually took in a set of Sabian B8 Metal hats. They were almost twice the weight of the B8X crash I use. I put them on the hat for a couple of weeks and they hi worked fine.

s1212z

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Canopus Hybrid vs. Yamaha Crosstown. Their prices and weights are very similar on snare and cymbal stands , except for HH stand 4.9lbs ~$215 Yamaha vs. 5.7lbs ~$170. (Canopus light weight one) also has a boom stand ~7lbs. I guess looks alone, Yamaha looks like a camera tripod though not sure on flatbase stands from Canopus. .

Sonorfan

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Canopus Hybrid vs. Yamaha Crosstown. Their prices and weights are very similar on snare and cymbal stands , except for HH stand 4.9lbs ~$215 Yamaha vs. 5.7lbs ~$170. (Canopus light weight one) also has a boom stand ~7lbs. I guess looks alone, Yamaha looks like a camera tripod though not sure on flatbase stands from Canopus. .
I bought the Yamaha 2 years ago and giged it a lot. Very sturdy as the legs are as you say tripod style. They are also U channel aluminum which to me is a good as double braced. I’ve never tried a boom arm with them as they don’t offer one in Aluminum so I wasn’t sure if the stand would tip with a larger ride cymbal hanging on. One post here said that they had used as short standard steel boom with no problems. The Crosstown Hat is a dream as it can be picked up with 2 fingers, pre adding the Cymbals. It has a soft spring which heavy footers or rockers may not care for. But for Jazz and Blues it works great for me as I can used it like a crash by multi stroking the pedal...but pedal doesn’t swivel so note that. The Hat folds up incredibly.. watch the YouTube video.. The tubes and legs are Aluminum but the tube locks are chrome steel and they stay where set. All comes with a nice gig bag. I’m Canadian so my cost was $600 delivered too my door and I’d never go back to heavy chromed steel. But, you have to remember that the Yamaha finish is matte not shiny.
Good luck and safe and Happy New Year !????????

Sonorfan

I was supposed to receive my new Crosstown pack on Friday, so that would have been great as I had a gig Friday night, perfect. Then USPS tells me it's coming on Saturday...OK fine, I have a gig on Saturday too. I left for the gig around 5:00 on Sat. and of course the package arrived after I left. Great.

But I did get around to opening it up and checking it all out yesterday. Very impressed. Yes, it's very light, but still feels substantial! We've all had low lever hardware at some point and I really feel that some of these other lightweight stands are just not made very well. There was no real thought put into design per se. They just seem like beginner stands. Just my $.02

The spread on the cymbal stands is awesome, the HH is very functional (see Les Ismore's review above) and the snare stand seems to be excellent.

Also my older heavy duty stands from the 80's, both silver/black labels and red/black labels, work with these new Crosstown bases so adding a boom is no problem. One of my kits has a hanging tom, so I'll probably just continue to used the heavy duty stand for that, or maybe get a 700 boom, we'll see.

One downside though... not sure I'll really be able to fit one other stand, throne, pedal and cowbell, etc. in this Crosstown bag.

No gigs this coming weekend, so I'll have to check back in a few weeks with a true real world review.

Overall...I'm pleased and vey happy I didn't pull the trigger on another brand earlier.
I’ve had my Crosstown since early 2019 and until Covid Jammed and Gig’d several times per week. Absolutely no concerns as U shaped legs as good as double braced on my former various steel stands. And.. the tube locks really hold where they’re set. I have bad left knee.. waiting for replacement..so I have elevated the hat pedal to about 30 degrees from the floor so my knee doesn’t have to flex so much. I used that system on my “20 lb plus“ steel Premier hat
and it worked well. Actually the Crosstown tube lock is larger and tightens more that the Premier. Comments about non swivel pedal base not important to me as never had dual kick pedal system and non adjustable hat tension works for me but I’m not a H D Rocker. I’m a fan of the Crosstown from a quality
but t the lightweight, extreme fold ability was the deal clencher.

Sonorfan

That's what I was thinking, so some single braced standdars stuff is probably better. Tama classic, Yamaha 700 etc..

Would work for cymbals on a bop setup, but not being able to put a cowbell, tambourine, pandeiro, iPad or whatever on it kinda makes it a no-go.
Just added my 10in Sonor to to a Crosstown cymbal stand. Above is a Sabian 20in AAX medium ride and no problem. It would take a huge amount of cranking to collapse the aluminum tube. To mount the tom I used an aluminum extension arm I had kicking around for 30 years. Note that while on end has the large clamp designed to fit a regular stand the other end is smaller to fit a cymbal boom. But as it was what I had I reversed it so that the support for the tom is solely from the narrow extending rod. Don't forget the Crosstown is made from aircraft grade, not soft aluminum.

Attachments

• 96CC3F1A-57FE-4E2C-900C-8A97744A3014.jpeg
    96CC3F1A-57FE-4E2C-900C-8A97744A3014.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 16

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I hemed and hawed over the Crosstowns for months trying to convince myself they wouldn't work. They have been great. the biggest challenge I ran into was the boom. Got the 700 series boom attachment, but keeping the legs positioned where there wasn't too much weight with the boom and the ride to one side was a bit of a challenge. They it occurred to me. Why not drop the 700 boom arm in favor of the crosstown upper I shoved in the closet and voila, Perfect! Now the ride is where I want it and not so concerned with the arm being exactly over one leg. No chance it's falling over. It's been solid.

With the tom pictured above, the leg will definitely have to be positioned as shown, but the stand isn't going to fold under it. The biggest limitation I've seen with them is the non-rotating HH legs and double pedals, or a secondary pedal. The HH stand is just too light for rotating legs. It wouldn't be stable at all, but one could still use an arm to stabilize as you would with other HH stands when legs are folded as with 2 BDs.

The tilters...I've never liked offset tilters, but like any other offset tilter, you can get the stand closer/farther to/from you if in cramped conditions. Can be a difference of 6" narrower footprint with a stand on each side.

Sonorfan

I hemed and hawed over the Crosstowns for months trying to convince myself they wouldn't work. They have been great. the biggest challenge I ran into was the boom. Got the 700 series boom attachment, but keeping the legs positioned where there wasn't too much weight with the boom and the ride to one side was a bit of a challenge. They it occurred to me. Why not drop the 700 boom arm in favor of the crosstown upper I shoved in the closet and voila, Perfect! Now the ride is where I want it and not so concerned with the arm being exactly over one leg. No chance it's falling over. It's been solid.

With the tom pictured above, the leg will definitely have to be positioned as shown, but the stand isn't going to fold under it. The biggest limitation I've seen with them is the non-rotating HH legs and double pedals, or a secondary pedal. The HH stand is just too light for rotating legs. It wouldn't be stable at all, but one could still use an arm to stabilize as you would with other HH stands when legs are folded as with 2 BDs.

The tilters...I've never liked offset tilters, but like any other offset tilter, you can get the stand closer/farther to/from you if in cramped conditions. Can be a difference of 6" narrower footprint with a stand on each side.
Great thinking re: boom arm as those std knurled type weight so much themselves. As for Hat I have never ever played a dual kick pedal or found the need to have the foot plate at a different angle.
I'm soon 81 and bought my Crosstown shortly after announced in 2019. It's been a game changer from a weight and compact issue. I have a "Pearl Compact Traveller " frame style" 3 piece kit I take to small street style jams. There are an 18in kick, 14in and 10in toms. The 14in has a snare system and they all pack up into their large round bag. So I take the Crosstown Hat, with small light 10in cymbals, one
cymbal stand with 20 ride and my kick pedal and a fold up superlight throne and Im out the door with two bags.. about 50lbs in total.

Attachments

• 0A9F05AB-FC97-44D6-A645-0A78FD14D297.jpeg
    0A9F05AB-FC97-44D6-A645-0A78FD14D297.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 7
  • B4DCA07C-0358-4EBF-91AD-F20FBAD464C1.jpeg
    B4DCA07C-0358-4EBF-91AD-F20FBAD464C1.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 7

Sonorfan

According to USPS I was supposed to receive my Crosstown kit this past Friday, which would have been great as I had a gig that night. Perfect opportunity for a real test drive. But, the package never showed on Friday and was rescheduled for delivery on Saturday. That's ok, I have a gig Saturday as well. Left for the gig at 5:00....still no delivery. It showed up after I was gone.

Opened up the box on Sunday morning and was immediately impressed. These stands are light, sure....but they also feel very substantial! All the other lightweight hardware I've seem just felt like introductory, entry level hardware.

The cymbal stand bases spread out quite far and seem to provide a lot of stability. I am also able to use my older heavyweight Yamaha tubes with these bases (silver/black label and red/black label) so I can make a boom if needed. I have one kit where the tom hangs off a stand, and I will continue to use the heavy stand for that, or maybe grab a 700 series. But these straight stands should work perfectly for me.

The snare stand seem like it will be very functional as well. For the HH stand, check out Les Ismore's review above. I already use a Yamaha HH with fixed tension, so the lack of adjustment was never an issue for me.

My one concern is that I don't think I'll be able to fit a throne, BD pedal, additional stand, cowbell, etc. in the bag. Although it seems sturdy, it's just not roomy enough for what I need. I'll be able to give more feedback in a few weeks as I have next weekend off. All in all....good stuff. Happy I didn't pull the trigger on a different brand earlier!!
If you don't want to add the weight of an older boom stand you could consider adding two 6in Gibralter cymbal stackers on on top of the other. They are light weight and can be placed at even a severe angle. In fact I not only have them and a 20 in cymbal but a 6lb,10in tom and mounting extension all on one stand and the whole thing is very steady.

Attachments

• 1C10D72F-10A6-40CA-A5C5-0AC2E630ECDB.jpeg
    1C10D72F-10A6-40CA-A5C5-0AC2E630ECDB.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 6
  • F9C125C4-C00C-408E-BD46-D3EE833E7453.jpeg
    F9C125C4-C00C-408E-BD46-D3EE833E7453.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 5

SharkSandwich

I giggled with mine for the first time this weekend and they performed exceptionally. We had to climb a flight of stairs to load in and I
was SO thankful I didn't have to deal with a 75 pond hardware case.

BTW, you'll notice I have a part of a Tama stand to create a boom arm mount. Yamaha doesn't offer Crosstown boom stands.
IMG_4465.jpg

Last edited: