New "Crosstown" lightweight stands from Yamaha

Bumping this thread... I know we aren't doing a ton of gigging lately, but does anyone have any wear-n-tear updates on their aluminum hardware?

Sonorfan

I'm just starting to think seriously about buying a set of lightweight hardware. Yamaha has a pretty sterling reputation. If I hear enough good things from the right people, I would consider buying.
I‘m 80 and still play Gigs and really was bothered by hardware weights. So in June 2019 I purchased the Yamaha Crosstown Kit. It came with
2 cymbal stands, snare basket and Hi Hat. Its a dream as regards weight saving and extremely well built as I’ve packed and unpacked it as much as twice a day many times and no issues at all with durability. for the record the collars of the stands and basket are all chrome steel and are a clutch design with a large nylon bushing that encompasses the tube locking it very secure and even downward pressure by hand can’t move it so it stays where set. The legs are a channel aluminum with large rubber feet and give fine support. At present Yamaha does not offer a boom arm for the cymbal stands and quite honestly I’m convinced you would end up with Cymbals in your lap if one was used due to the stands light weight So if you want booms the Crosstown is not for you. On the cymbal stands the adjustable tilters are standard Yamaha chrome spring loaded style and same in the snare basket so no issues there.
whats most impressive is just how light yet strong and easy to use. One report I read stated they thought the tension spring was only medium action and bemoaned the fact it’s not adjustable. True, it’s not adjustable for tension by a threaded system but iv’e
found that by lifting the pedal mounting bracket slightly off the floor the spring tension increases significantly and as I have old knees the sharper angle of the footboard is easier on me. In my old Premier Hi Hat
the small feet allowed the whole unit to slide forward necessitating carrying a carpet around. The Crosstown has huge rubber feet on all stands so never a problem there. One really impressive thing is just how small length wise the stands, basket and Hi Hat fold down to. The Hi Hat can be lifted with one finger and is unique in the it folds up so over all length is about 36 inches or less. The Gig bag with the set is sturdy and oversized for those folks that “want to add more weight... don’t we all 😂. I carry my stick bag which naturally is away over filled and a small chrome stand and Cow bell. In a nutshell, this a well built, super light set. I paid $550 Canadian all taxes and shipping in. A great bargain.. as if any musical equipment is a bargain.. Kudos to Yamaha from an old guy !

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I just got the snare stand. Figured I'd try it first. Not sure why I doubted, but wanted to make sure before I went all in. It's absolutely the simplest snare stand I've ever had, but lacks nothing. In fact, with the legs being the way they are, shorter and able to sit flatter also, it actually fits in spots better than my old stands. What I'm silly digging more than anything right now is it ways 1/3 my old stand and is more stable! That part's a bit bizarre, but I have a 12" tom sitting in it and I think the old stand would get a bit tip heavy with the adjuster and long arms and all. With the Yamaha, the tom sits more over the legs too, so it's definitely better balanced. I'll be getting the whole set soon. I only need one boom, so I'll get the Yamaha boom attachment for it and swap out the arm with the CrossTowns. With the legs going flatter, I don't see it being an issue for falling over. If it isn't stable, then it's only one heavy stand vs all.

tfgretsch

I just got the snare stand. Figured I'd try it first. Not sure why I doubted, but wanted to make sure before I went all in. It's absolutely the simplest snare stand I've ever had, but lacks nothing. In fact, with the legs being the way they are, shorter and able to sit flatter also, it actually fits in spots better than my old stands. What I'm silly digging more than anything right now is it ways 1/3 my old stand and is more stable! That part's a bit bizarre, but I have a 12" tom sitting in it and I think the old stand would get a bit tip heavy with the adjuster and long arms and all. With the Yamaha, the tom sits more over the legs too, so it's definitely better balanced. I'll be getting the whole set soon. I only need one boom, so I'll get the Yamaha boom attachment for it and swap out the arm with the CrossTowns. With the legs going flatter, I don't see it being an issue for falling over. If it isn't stable, then it's only one heavy stand vs all.
agreed ,just gigged last wknd with my new crosstowns, A HOME RUN !! Yamaha going to make $$$ millions whith these !

tfgretsch

I‘m 80 and still play Gigs and really was bothered by hardware weights. So in June 2019 I purchased the Yamaha Crosstown Kit. It came with
2 cymbal stands, snare basket and Hi Hat. Its a dream as regards weight saving and extremely well built as I’ve packed and unpacked it as much as twice a day many times and no issues at all with durability. for the record the collars of the stands and basket are all chrome steel and are a clutch design with a large nylon bushing that encompasses the tube locking it very secure and even downward pressure by hand can’t move it so it stays where set. The legs are a channel aluminum with large rubber feet and give fine support. At present Yamaha does not offer a boom arm for the cymbal stands and quite honestly I’m convinced you would end up with Cymbals in your lap if one was used due to the stands light weight So if you want booms the Crosstown is not for you. On the cymbal stands the adjustable tilters are standard Yamaha chrome spring loaded style and same in the snare basket so no issues there.
whats most impressive is just how light yet strong and easy to use. One report I read stated they thought the tension spring was only medium action and bemoaned the fact it’s not adjustable. True, it’s not adjustable for tension by a threaded system but iv’e
found that by lifting the pedal mounting bracket slightly off the floor the spring tension increases significantly and as I have old knees the sharper angle of the footboard is easier on me. In my old Premier Hi Hat
the small feet allowed the whole unit to slide forward necessitating carrying a carpet around. The Crosstown has huge rubber feet on all stands so never a problem there. One really impressive thing is just how small length wise the stands, basket and Hi Hat fold down to. The Hi Hat can be lifted with one finger and is unique in the it folds up so over all length is about 36 inches or less. The Gig bag with the set is sturdy and oversized for those folks that “want to add more weight... don’t we all 😂. I carry my stick bag which naturally is away over filled and a small chrome stand and Cow bell. In a nutshell, this a well built, super light set. I paid $550 Canadian all taxes and shipping in. A great bargain.. as if any musical equipment is a bargain.. Kudos to Yamaha from an old guy !
as per a members post i made a crosstown boom stand for my 20 " ride cymbal with a yamaha CH755 boom arm ,works like a charm !, no movement ,great stuff. Boom arm $55 at sweetwater

NouveauCliche

Bumping this thread... I know we aren't doing a ton of gigging lately, but does anyone have any wear-n-tear updates on their aluminum hardware?

I've done 4 live streams and recorded 1 concert and seen no wear yet - but I have them tucked away in the bags they came with too - which adds maybe 5 seconds of time per stand when tearing them down - no problemo.

Really good to see the people that have had them for like a year chiming in - that's awesome...these stands are fantastic.

Cool, good to hear everyone. I use larger cymbals so that's my only concern. I don't put them particularly high either.

My main concern has been attaching a multi-clamp to one of them and having it squash the aluminum tube. I'm also worried about my rack tom getting pushed off an aluminum snare stand easily (RIP vistalite...).

Next summer when things hopefully pick up again I'll probably get a set. Man, I'm tired of lifting my current hardware case! Those things just damage you no matter what. Sore back, pinched fingers, smashed toes....

Frosticles

Silver Member
My main concern has been attaching a multi-clamp to one of them and having it squash the aluminum tube. I'm also worried about my rack tom getting pushed off an aluminum snare stand easily (RIP vistalite...).
No issues with either :) They are as stable as any double braced stands :)

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Cool, good to hear everyone. I use larger cymbals so that's my only concern. I don't put them particularly high either.

Next summer when things hopefully pick up again I'll probably get a set. Man, I'm tired of lifting my current hardware case! Those things just damage you no matter what. Sore back, pinched fingers, smashed toes....
I keep thinking of the mountain bikes I've bombed down crazy hills with, back when I shattered less on impact....those bikes were super thin aluminum tubes and all stripped down were about 5 pounds. Not far off of what we see with the CrossTowns. None ever folded under me. I think we're making too much of their weight and material. I've read multiple reviews stating they have flown claps off of them with no issue. I plan to pinch an bicycle tube between the clamp and the tub, just to be safe. It'll prevent me from having to crank down on the tube more than I have to. BTW, my PDPs folded like a cheap suit with any clamps, even one holding a light cowbell. So far as I've read, the CrossTowns have held up way better than that.

Not sure how heavy your Versalites are, but I swear Gretcsh pours lead between the wood layers. My 12" tom is heavy. It sits on the CrossTown stand way better than my old stand. Here's my old one:
1595002665556.png
Certainly nothing to get excited about, but the top end of this stand is heavy, so the 12" would just add to the problem. The Yamaha doesn't have the pivot point like the above, so the center of gravity remains squarely over the legs. The CrossTown legs, while shorter, go out flatter and the down tube sits barely above the ground. Not only does this make it so I can bring the tom in closer to the BD, but keeps a very low center of gravity. It doesn't move at all when playing it, where the heavier one would rock a bit. If I ever put too much force on it, it was going over. Did it twice and luckily I caught it both times. I'm far less concerned with the CrossTown than with the above snare stand.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for the info. Good analogy on the bike tubes too, that makes sense.

I suppose it's like people getting used to aluminum truck beds.

Crazy it took this long for a company to finally make these. Before this I remember seeing Canopus carbon fiber stands that costed a fortune.