New "Crosstown" lightweight stands from Yamaha

Lee-Bro

I'm going to get the HH stand. The weight on my current one in 9.3 lbs, the Yamaha is 4.8! Saving 4.5 lbs may not seem like much, but every little bit helps!
I'm right there with you. My current Yamaha is just under 9lbs. Combine the switch to the Tama Stage Master double tom stand and I'll shave about 11 pounds off my hardware bag.

I've also switched from my Yamaha direct drive double pedal to my Camco pedal. That shaves about another 5lbs. All-in-all, I'll have shaved 16+ lbs of weight from my hardware bag once all the new hardware comes in.

I figure I can get a total of about 22 lbs dropped if I went w/ the Crosstown snare stand and 2 Crosstown cymbal stands. For a few hundred bucks, for me it's a no-brainer. I just gotta finish some house projects first. :)

cutaway79

Silver Member
Really, how often do you change the tension on your HH?
Rarely, but sometimes, depending on which hihat cymbals I'm using.

Though my real concern is that whatever it feels like out of the box is the only option. If it's too tight, or too sloppy feeling, there's nothing that can be done about it... Ya just get what ya get. Not necessarily going to deter me from buying a set. Just something I noticed.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Rarely, but sometimes, depending on which hihat cymbals I'm using.

Though my real concern is that whatever it feels like out of the box is the only option. If it's too tight, or too sloppy feeling, there's nothing that can be done about it... Ya just get what ya get. Not necessarily going to deter me from buying a set. Just something I noticed.
Actually you can 'change' springs. I've flipped bottom rods over in older HH stands to change spring tension. You do need to dis assemble the HH stand, which may be beyond some peoples ability. I'll let you know when HH3 arrives.

cutaway79

Silver Member
Actually you can 'change' springs. I've flipped bottom rods over in older HH stands to change spring tension. You do need to dis assemble the HH stand, which may be beyond some peoples ability. I'll let you know when HH3 arrives.
Oh, I'm definitely well-versed in disassembling/reassembling hardware, haha. Let me know what you find. I mean, it could be perfect as-is. But I've dealt with a few hihat stands that just feel terrible (most DW stands, no matter how the tension is set), so I'm a little wary of non-adjustable tension.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
FYI, I have the HH stand on order and will report as soon as I get it. :)

Bermuda

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Peter will say anything about the brand he is with.

I respect him as a drummer, but as an endorsee...
Come on now, maybe he was being sincere. A friend of mine joked that Peter would've stayed with Yamaha had Yamaha made light hardware - but back then Yamaha wasn't budging on the flat-based stand market - which I thought was smart ;)

Jay Fitz

I got it off eBay from Drum Center Portsmouth. It said they had one pack left in stock. Supposedly it shipped out today, and should be here by August 4th.
Nice! Looking forward to your review...so glad I waited a bit longer, if they live up to what they seem to be, this is exactly the hardware I've been looking for. And I can interchange all of my older Yamaha hardware with these.

cutaway79

Silver Member
... if they live up to what they seem to be, this is exactly the hardware I've been looking for. And I can interchange all of my older Yamaha hardware with these.
My thoughts exactly. I'm using all 700 series now, except for my Gibraltar Turning Point snare stand (aluminum legs). I looked up the weights online, and it would appear that the whole Crosstown hardware pack weighs only about a pound more than just my two 700 series cymbal stands alone. So stoked

Jay Fitz

My thoughts exactly. I'm using all 700 series now, except for my Gibraltar Turning Point snare stand (aluminum legs). I looked up the weights online, and it would appear that the whole Crosstown hardware pack weighs only about a pound more than just my two 700 series cymbal stands alone. So stoked
My Yamaha stands are from 1986, double braced, still going strong....but I'm getting weak!

trickg

Silver Member
Those might be worth looking into.

When I first got into drumming and putting together my kit, heavy, double-braced hardware was all the rage. Personally, I never understood why people thought they needed such heavy stuff - my two main crash stands are Pearl single-braced lightweight stands, and the whole reason I got them was to cut weight on my hardware bag. I've been using them for years and they have no signs that they are wearing out any time soon.

If my stuff gets tattered to a point where I feel it needs to be replaced, that new Yamaha stuff looks like it might be a decent way to go.