New Craviotto (solid) walnut snare

Thunder 42

Silver Member
Wanted to share with DW: This drum arrived last week and I took her out this weekend for a long drive. Very much enjoying the tone of this instrument: 45 degree bearing edges, 6.5" x 14" - big, round tone - clear lows - sensitive - clear and articulate highs.

Sounds great tuned low/med/high, with a very sweet spot medium-low. Tried the Vintage Emperor Coated batter, and voilà.

Had never played walnut before. Really enjoying the sound of this drum. And equally impressed with the aesthetics of this piece of art, and overall Craviotto craftsmanship.

(posted pics on a separate thread.)

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 366
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 347
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 340

Stroman

Platinum Member
Beautiful drum! On my wishlist. I love my George Way walnut, and I bet that Craviatto is magnificent.

RickP

Gold Member
Beautiful snare drum.
I own a solid walnut 6.5 snare drum that has a shell made by Black Swamp Dynamicx and finished by TRS drums. It is my favourite solid shell snare drum ever. Walnut is a very underrated tone wood IMHO. It is rich and full sounding and very resonant with a lower fundamental. Mine is also extremely sensitive.

I have found that I prefer wood other than maple for solid shells . Walnut and cherry are my preferred solid shell drums these days.

Destroyer772

Gold Member
WOW! that is first class. I have become a big Walnut fan, both my Kits are Walnut hybrids. I ordered a matching snare with my Saturn's, same shell make up as toms. Although not in the same league as your Craviotto, It is a great sounding snare and has all the attributes of there Black Panther snares.

Thunder 42

Silver Member
WOW! that is first class. I have become a big Walnut fan, both my Kits are Walnut hybrids. I ordered a matching snare with my Saturn's, same shell make up as toms. Although not in the same league as your Craviotto, It is a great sounding snare and has all the attributes of there Black Panther snares.
Sounds like a great instrument. Congrats.

Beautiful snare drum.
I own a solid walnut 6.5 snare drum that has a shell made by Black Swamp Dynamicx and finished by TRS drums. It is my favourite solid shell snare drum ever. Walnut is a very underrated tone wood IMHO. It is rich and full sounding and very resonant with a lower fundamental. Mine is also extremely sensitive.

I have found that I prefer wood other than maple for solid shells . Walnut and cherry are my preferred solid shell drums these days.
Very cool. I am also really getting into cherry too.

Beautiful drum! On my wishlist. I love my George Way walnut, and I bet that Craviatto is magnificent.
Thanks, IDD,

T_Kauff

I have the same drum, but in a 7" depth.... That extra 1/2" really opens up the drum with girth and "air" puts it right online with my 8" deep zelkova. But, adds a darkness... In a good way.

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
Nice one Thunder, Vintage Emperor you say. I picked one up as well. I'll try those heads, haven't used them on a Crav as yet.

Last edited:

steadypocket

Gold Member
Congrats. Gorgeous drum. I find that walnut has a very unique tone. My walnut Tama Star stave doesn't sound like any of my other drums, even the bubinga drums which are also said to have a lower tone. With Johnny's unfortunate passing, you were fortunate to get your hands on one.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Beautiful walnut drum. I would love to play your Craviotto walnut next to my Guru walnut to hear the differences.

zenghost

Congrats - excellent choice.

Walnut + Craviotto = goodness

I ordered a 14x6 last year and it is the only wood snare I own/play.

lnuUFesm.jpg

ZKL4wuZm.jpg

Thunder 42

Silver Member
Congrats - excellent choice.

Walnut + Craviotto = goodness

I ordered a 14x6 last year and it is the only wood snare I own/play.
......Lot's of goodness, thanks.

Beautiful walnut drum. I would love to play your Craviotto walnut next to my Guru walnut to hear the differences.
Thanks, sounds good, Larry. That would be cool - let me know if ever you want to link up.

Congrats. Gorgeous drum. I find that walnut has a very unique tone. My walnut Tama Star stave doesn't sound like any of my other drums, even the bubinga drums which are also said to have a lower tone. With Johnny's unfortunate passing, you were fortunate to get your hands on one.
Thanks. Unique tone and feeling very fortunate, indeed.

Nice one Thunder, Vintage Emperor you say. I picked one up as well. I'll try those heads, haven't used them on a Crav as yet.
Give 'em a shot. Found more heft with the coated VEs. Great sound on my mahogany Crav as well.

Congratulations! I've played a few of these, & they deliver really well. An excellent "go to" instrument that covers a lot of ground but still has flavour.
Thanks, Andy, a rich flavor indeed.

I have the same drum, but in a 7" depth.... That extra 1/2" really opens up the drum with girth and "air" puts it right online with my 8" deep zelkova. But, adds a darkness... In a good way.
Thanks, TK, bet it sounds great.