New Craviotto lug design

single-ply

I'm sure there will be various opinions, but I really think Craviotto dropped the ball on their new 'Marquis' lug design.

Some have criticized their design in the past for for overusing the diamond motif, but at least that gave the drums some identity.

I'm sure this was done in an effort to keep the price point down a bit, but come on. This new lug design ic visually clunky and makes them look like a generic homemade kit (albeit a very good one!). I know you can still get the old lugs, but they will now be an up-charge.

If a customer is going to spend that kind of money on a kit, it needs to not only sound incredible, but it needs to look incredible also (ie. Guru's Origin series)

Disappointed.

Wow, those are terrible. Agreed- they make the kit look like a home built job.

I'm surprised by the absence of gasket ?
I agree, those lugs lack of class.

I'm sure there will be various opinions, but I really think Craviotto dropped the ball on their new 'Marquis' lug design.

Some have criticized their design in the past for for overusing the diamond motif, but at least that gave the drums some identity.

I'm sure this was done in an effort to keep the price point down a bit, but come on. This new lug design ic visually clunky and makes them look like a generic homemade kit (albeit a very good one!). I know you can still get the old lugs, but they will now be an up-charge.

If a customer is going to spend that kind of money on a kit, it needs to not only sound incredible, but it needs to look incredible also (ie. Guru's Origin series)

Disappointed.

Is Johnny Craviatto not thinking?

And what about the use of 12mm FT legs? The extra weight, the need for a heavy bracket, doesn't Johnny know the heavier the FT legs the heavier the hardware bag?

Worse too the heavier the FT legs the more tone robbing effect on the drum itself... but the crav FT's probably need a little robbing to make the note length playable.

If I was a builder of drums, I'd make every effort to keep things just as light as possible. For both sound purposes and transport purposes. I agree with Les, the 12 mm FT legs...really? It would work with a 3 mm leg. Absolutely no need for thick FT legs, they just have to support the weight of the drum. I don't get it, why the bulky hardware?

Why Johnny why?

I'm not a big fan of the new lug but the tube lugs don't do anything for me either.
I really like the new lugs on my Johnny C snare.

Attachments

• 5.5x14 johnny c 1a.jpg
    5.5x14 johnny c 1a.jpg
    928.9 KB · Views: 375
Johnny does not do gaskets.

And rightfully so. Gaskets dampen a drum shell.

LOL. I agree about the Floor tom legs. If they are to be 12.7mm thick, at least make them out of aluminum. Those 3 legs add a bunch of unneeded weight to my bag.

I have a 16" vintage Ludwig floor tom and one my favorite features is the ability to loosen the wingnut and slide the legs up and against the drum (I have the 17" long versions). They never have to come off. Setup is just a bit faster and much more convenient.

Not a fan of those lugs - glad to have the tube lug. I am not opposed to Craviotto offering another lug, however the new design is not anything I'd want.

I also wonder if the lug is being used as a cost-savings measure - particularly if you have to pay an upcharge for the COB tube lugs.

I swapped out the standard Craviotto crow-bar grade floor-tom legs with the light-weight DW legs.

I do the same thing for Gretsch and wherever else possible.

I love those lugs. I'd get those over the tube versions any day.

I'm just not in to Craviottos. I've tried them at drum shows and they just don't impress me. Their look is unique, I'll give them that, but its also incredibly dated. The hardware looks heavy and needlessly over sized. Their sound has never made me say "wow." So, the new lug design has no impact on me. I wasn't going to buy them anyway.

Ahhh! The Crav haters all lined up. I would say it's a price point thing wouldn't you? I don't hear anybody hating on the Gretsch lugs but both drums are the same price point. Get over it they are damn good drums...Tom legs big deal ,not into Heavy Metal guys? I have a Ludwig Legacy kit and the floor tom leg wing nut keeps coming loose and the drum tips over so give me sturdy anyday.

Last edited by a moderator:
They strike me as sort of generic. Also, seems a shame to change up lug designs after they've created such a distinct brand with the diamond tube lug design.

Drum makers often seem to miss the value of creating a single awesome design and sticking with it (Ludwig Classics, Gretsch Streamlines, Way/Camco/DW Turrets, etc.).

The Craviotto snare drum and floor tom are a good example of what you just mentioned. The distinctive lug and design aesthetic (single awesome design )on the floor tom gets criticised yet the alternative is labeled generic. Like i say it's a price point, you get what you pay for. I actually don't think it's that bad really.

Back