New Black Beauty in house

steverok

Silver Member
I posted here awhile back, during my search for a COB Supra. I bought one with tube lugs, but ended up returning it. No matter what I did, it just didn't have the pop and crack I was hoping for. I was in GC yesterday, saw a Ludwig metal snare, and started hitting it. It had a wonderful, warm, crack and pop to it. I looked at it closer, and it was a 14x6.5 Black Beauty. I played it on a kit for 10 minutes, and everyone in the store, including me, was digging it alot. Seeing that it sounded so good with stock heads, I knew it would only sound better. I talked them down on the price, and brought it home. Since, I have installed a Remo Powerstroke 3 batter head, and I am loving this thing. You know you love a drum when all you want to do, for two straight days, is hit it and keep on hitting it. There is so much depth to the pop of it. Now I know why the BB is so hightly regarded.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Good choice!! Great drums mate.

I'm really surprised to hear such a discernible difference between the COB and the BB though. Given the only difference is the shell coating, I would have expected very little tonal difference between the two drums.

Either way, the BB is a solid choice......a real workhorse and will serve you well. Enjoy!

MikeM

Platinum Member
Yeah, I'm surprised at the difference too. I just got my first BB back in October but have only recently been playing on it regularly and I have it dialed in pretty good, if I do say so. Sounds friggin' great to my ears.

Poor 402's just gonna have to sit on the floor while I honeymoon with this thing!

BTW, mine's just like yours - smooth shell, 6.5x14 with Imperial lugs (which I totally dig). Only difference is I put an S-Hoop on the batter side and it came with a P-86 (got it from a forum member here).

Great drum!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Poor 402's just gonna have to sit on the floor while I honeymoon with this thing!
That's the great thing about the 402. It doesn't mind in the least if you come home smelling of Black Beauty. It knows you still love it and will be loyal and longsuffering to the very end.

BTW, mine's just like yours - smooth shell, 6.5x14 with Imperial lugs (which I totally dig).
Hear, hear!

Tube lugs and hammered shells are for girls........well, girls and Sticks4drums!! ;-)

S

sticks4drums

The only thing uglier than an Imperial lug is, um, ? Sorry cant think of anything. :p

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Have fun with the new BB!

Love mine too (Tube and Imperial lug).

My COB sounds the same as the Black Nickle Brass shell....of course, I tune & set them up that way...

Yes, on purpose.

I may try that black electrical tape on the heads of my Black Glass Glitter kit. Might look kinda good.

steverok

Silver Member
I'm really surprised to hear such a discernible difference between the COB and the BB though. Given the only difference is the shell coating, I would have expected very little tonal difference between the two drums.
Yeah, I had given up on the brass idea until I found this one. Maybe the tube lugs change the sound ? It's possible. All I know is I didn't like that one, and I love this one. So, I'm happy !

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Yes, tube lugs open the shell up a little.
It's a more open sound.
The drum you have has the gaskets on it, which tightens the tone of the shell up a lot.
Taking the gaskets off will let it breath a little more, but the Imperial lugs do control the sound a little more.

I've had both lugs on, side by side, and changed them over (when I get bored), and there's a difference.

You may like this one more because of the lugs and gaskets.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Ha, everyone loves this snare.

Mine should be in my hands this Friday. I got the millenium one with the brass die cast hoops + tube lugs. I'll celebrate here with you :)

I'll wear my party hat.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I........LOVE.........my 14x6.5 Black Beauty!!!! The Imperial lugs add a touch of class in the style of art deco...

steverok

Silver Member
Yes, tube lugs open the shell up a little.
It's a more open sound.
The drum you have has the gaskets on it, which tightens the tone of the shell up a lot.
Taking the gaskets off will let it breath a little more, but the Imperial lugs do control the sound a little more.

I've had both lugs on, side by side, and changed them over (when I get bored), and there's a difference.

You may like this one more because of the lugs and gaskets.
I think you are right Karl. I had a COB Supra, and a regular 402 Supra, both with tube lugs, and ended up returning them both. Neither had a sufficiently potent "pop" for my tastes. If the tube lugs "open up" the sound, maybe that causes it to lose too much of the Supra character that I am accustomed to. If you say the Imperial lugs control the sound and tighten up the shell, then that's what I like.

S

sticks4drums

I think you are right Karl. I had a COB Supra, and a regular 402 Supra, both with tube lugs, and ended up returning them both. Neither had a sufficiently potent "pop" for my tastes. If the tube lugs "open up" the sound, maybe that causes it to lose too much of the Supra character that I am accustomed to. If you say the Imperial lugs control the sound and tighten up the shell, then that's what I like.
Precisely why I bought the hammered version. Tone it down without the heavy hardware.

cornelius

Silver Member
Congrats on the new snare - BB's are still great drums...

Obviously if you're using a Powerstroke head, than you prefer a sound that won't require opening up the drum with tube lugs or loss of gaskets. That's the cool thing about these drums, they can handle many different approaches to tuning and muffling. Have fun with it.

steverok

Silver Member
Yes, the PS3 has a muffling ring and a power dot, so it does control the ring and contain the sound. I will likely experiment with other batter heads in the future. I joined a pretty heavy band with three electric guitars, so I need as much cut and presence as I can get. I haven't tried this snare with the band yet, but will do so tonight. What types of batter heads do y'all use with the BB, and what sort of head do you reccomend for me to cut through all the guitar gush that I am up against ?

S

sticks4drums

I love the stock one. Haven't changed mine yet. It is nice and crisp, with great sensitivity.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Precisely why I bought the hammered version. Tone it down without the heavy hardware.
AND Ludwig's tube lugs are better quality than the generic/supply house lugs used on other snares.
A bit heavier overall, with larger screws to attach them with.

I really like the sound of my Hammered 402, but I just sold the smooth one (with Tubes).
Sounded fine, it just didn't "do it" for me. That was the third (and last) 402 I've owned over the years.

Brass and Bronze are my favorites.

S

sticks4drums

AND Ludwig's tube lugs are better quality than the generic/supply house lugs used on other snares.
A bit heavier overall, with larger screws to attach them with.

I really like the sound of my Hammered 402, but I just sold the smooth one (with Tubes).
Sounded fine, it just didn't "do it" for me. That was the third (and last) 402 I've owned over the years.

Brass and Bronze are my favorites.
I can get a new hammered Bronze one for 575. I have something else on my mind right now though. :)