New Beat/Quick Beat

TechMetalDrummer

Hey everyone!

Question:
Is there ANY design difference between a New Beat bottom cymbal and a Quick Beat top cymbal if they are the same weight? I mean generally, not considering that there's usually at least a slight difference between two cast cymbals even if they are the same model.
I'm using a New Beat top with a Quick Beat top as a hi-hat bottom right now, and I'm guessing that what this gives is essentially a New Beat hihat...

Any thought regarding this?

/T.

MikeM

Platinum Member
The short answer is no.

In Zildjian-speak, New Beats are a medium top over a heavy bottom, and Quick Beats are a medium-heavy top over a heavy bottom. So obviously, you're running a medium top over a medium-heavy bottom, which isn't exactly the same thing.

But weights do vary quite a bit, so if your QB top is at the heavier end of the spectrum, it might be pretty close weight-wise to a NB bottom on the lighter end.

TechMetalDrummer

Yeah, you're right, my QB top is 1130g and the NB top is 1096, and after checking online for usual top/bottom weight matching, I realize mine are too close in weight compaired to factory matched pairs...

Thanks,

/T.

TechMetalDrummer

He-he yeah it's pretty good. Thing is I've played QB hi-hats for 25 years and have been wanting to try slightly thinner hats, like the New Beats. I just bought a NB top to go with my QB bottom, but the QB bottom seems too thick, tending to choke the much thinner NB top on accents...
So instead I tried my old QB top as a bottom, and it is a good fit, but I'd prefer to find a QB bottom that is slightly thinner than the one I've got, since the lack of a bell on these cuts out a lot of the clunky, low frequency stuff.

It's an eternal (and expensive) quest, to find the perfect sound...

/T.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
My QB bottom is 1329 grams for reference

If others could chime in with their matched (top/bottom) weight differences, I believe the 200 gram range might be the norm.

MikeM

Platinum Member
As long as it sounds good!

I used to have a New Beat Top over a Quickbeat bottom for years and years.
So did I. Probably 10 years if I had to guess. The top cracked and I then went on an epic search for a couple years before coming back to New Beats for the umpteenth time.

TechMetalDrummer

My QB bottom is 1329 grams for reference
If others could chime in with their matched (top/bottom) weight differences, I believe the 200 gram range might be the norm.

Thanks for chiming in everyone!
My QB bottom is 1324g, so very close to yours then. And yeah, the difference between top/bottom seem to be around 210g or so for the QB, and about 350g in average for New Beats, due to the NB bottom having a cup and therefor increasing it's weight.

So from this I calculate I would need a QB bottom that is about 1295-1305g to match my NB top at 1096g. In theory of course...
I once saw one on E-bay that was as light as 1250g, so it should be possible to find one.

Ok, the hunt goes on.

/T.