New Bearing Edge Idea

zakhopper316

Silver Member
I had an idea today when I was checking out shells online, what if there was some type of material, like a thick paste of something that could be called " liquid wood" or something similar accept maybe with a name tailored to drumming that we could put on our bearing edges to fill in the space that had originally been cut. It would bond really well and dry super hard.

You could then sand down and re cut your bearing edge to what ever you want. It could give you the chance to change the sound of you shells for a low price.l

Does anyone know of a material that could achieve this? And do you think that there would be a loss in sound quality even if we found a decent compound to use?

I'm thinking that if the material has a bit of bounce to it, the feel and sound of the drum may be ENHANCED! ...or I'm completely nuts haha

I would call it "instant Edge!"

Thoughts?

Some sort of epoxy maybe. I think it may change the sound in that the head would be contacting something other than the actual shell.
Try it out and let us know. Could really help out those of us struggling to tune lower end drums.

I recently used a wood filler to fix a wall at work and once it was painted you couldnt tell it was there and it dried hard as a rock. I really dont know how it would affect the sound of the drum. I would assume the different density would force it to transfer sound differently that the rest of the shell. Weather or not thats a bad thing I don't know.

You can recut bearing edges without having to "fill in" the old one first. Drum craftsmen and high-end drum shops do it all the time.

If you have a nick in a bearing edge, wood filler and fine sandpaper will repair it.
It isn't as good as recutting but it will work.
There is a company that makes plastic bearing edges for both uncut and cut shells.
I think that NUEDGE is the name or something like that.
Here it is http://youtu.be/eAQCY0NBHYc

See how long epoxy will last when you hit that first rim shot. You'll be picking dust and scraps out of the inside of the drum. Edges can be cut cheap and there is a product that drops over the edge of the drums for a quick fix as noted above.

Back