Never paid attention, but...

stevo

I am learning the Steve Miller Band song, the Joker (midnight toker), and there are two fills in the song that surprisingly have blown me away.
For anyone who plays this song, exactly the way it was done on the studio version, do you know which fills I mean? First one right after the chorus, and the second after the lead.
I never paid attention to how cool they were, in a very laid back drum groove, and I have been lisitening to this song for over 30 years?

Let me know what you think about this.
Thanks.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Oddly enough I can't remember off-hand what fills you're referring to.

But I bet the ones you're talking about are like the two in ZZTop's "La Grange" - nobody I've seen cover that song really plays those, either!

stevo

No, nothing like ZZ top. For those of you who know this song, let me know what you think. If you've never listened to the song, give a listen. The fills are right after the first chorus, and after the lead.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
He does a 16th note eight stroke roll followed by a 1e,a2ena.
I love that lick. I stole it from them years ago!
And I'm not giving it back! Its mine now! LOL
I put a flam on the 2

I loved all of the drumming on that album. I wore that album out. We had vinyl and 8 tracks back then!

Winter Time is my fav tune from that album. Not because of the drumming, I just like the tune.
Whoops, I just remembered that that is from Box of Dreams.

Last edited:

eamesuser

Silver Member
The fill that mystifies me is the one on cheap sunglasses,right before the stop that leads into the verses and leads,never seen a cover band do it,saw ZZ Top in concert on T.V a little while back and Frank Beard didn't do it either.

brady

Platinum Member
He does a 16th note eight stroke roll followed by a 1e,a2ena.
I love that lick. I stole it from them years ago!
And I'm not giving it back! Its mine now! LOL
I put a flam on the 2

I loved all of the drumming on that album. I wore that album out. We had vinyl and 8 tracks back then!

Winter Time is my fav tune from that album. Not because of the drumming, I just like the tune.
Whoops, I just remembered that that is from Box of Dreams.
Cool. I stole that one too. I had no idea where I got it from though. I use that as a quirky fill quite often. 3e-a4e&a... Or sometimes just ending on the '&'.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Cool. I stole that one too. I had no idea where I got it from though. I use that as a quirky fill quite often. 3e-a4e&a... Or sometimes just ending on the '&'.
Yea, Those are classics also!
I wonder who Gary stole those fills from?
Gary, Come Clean, Where did you get your fills?

mrmike

Silver Member
Fly Like An Eagle has always been one of my favorite studio drum tracks. Lots of nuance going on in that song.
Come to think of it, the whole album is a great drum album, Take The Money and Run, Come On and Dance.
I always wondered if the drums on Come On and Dance were overdubbed.