NeuSonic vs. Signet

SoupCanSham

Apologies if this has been discussed - I tried searching using the search function here as well as with Google. I've got a great small Sonor Safari but I think I might want to move up to a more traditional kick drum size. I've been looking at the entry-USA Ludwigs and my local shop has NeuSonics in stock. However, there are a few NOS Signets left that are on sale. I think the hardware looks pretty similar, but Ludwig has specifically told me they don't consider the NeuSonics a replacement for the old Signets.

Has anyone here directly compared the two? If price matters, the Signets are online for around $700 and the NeuSonics are floor models at my local dealer for $799. For the sake of comparison, both kits are 12/14/20. I like the idea of a 16" floor tom but think a 22" kick might be too much for me.

Agreed that the Signets and Neusonics are different, both sound great, although I prefer the sound of the Neusonics. The shells are different woods & plies with different edges, and the lugs on the Neusonics are heavier and bolted more solidly to the shell, which adds to the resonance - the toms sound wonderful! And because the Signets are discontinued and the Neusonics are growing, you will be able to add to the Neusonic kit in the future.

I have new Classic Maple, Keystones, Legacy Maple, Signets, and a bunch of vintage Ludwigs, but am getting a Neusonic kit to use in town. Will probably take them on tour in 2021. :)

Bermuda

Here where I live it’s the 4 piece signet at the same price as the 3 piece neusonic. Additional cost for a 10”Tom is almost 400 though... crazy expensive where I am... jealous of you guys

Not trying to be mean here, but the Neusonics don't have "snap-in" lugs and the finish doesn't look like curtains from Walmart. I'd choose the Neusonics just by that alone. My apologies, but I'm just sharing my thoughts.

Neusonics... The Signet uses a very particular lug that will be difficult to replace if one ever breaks. We can debate the sonic superiority of one over the other all day, but in the end, the OEM support is going to be the dealbreaker.

That said... I tried out the Signets when they were released and they sounded REALLY good.

I have new Classic Maple, Keystones, Legacy Maple, Signets, and a bunch of vintage Ludwigs, but am getting a Neusonic kit to use in town. Will probably take them on tour in 2021. :)
Is this an official announcement? If you guys come to State College, PA on that tour (here's hoping), drinks are on me.

Back