Nesting Kit

greenstar323

I want to create a nesting kit out of drums I currently have because... just because! I have this massive set that I refinished this summer, but honestly I don't love it. It's a 24" bass drum which is way high for me to comfortably mount a tom off of. Recently I've been obsessed with tiny bop kits (i.e. my breakbeats) so I thought I could turn some of this kit into something I will actually play.

The tom sizes are 9x13, 10x14, 16x16, and 16x18. The thing about nesting kits is that each drum needs to be at least 3 inches apart in diameter to fit inside the next size up. I was thinking either:

1. 18" bass, buy a 12x15 marching drum of the bay, and 13" tom (although I wonder if the 13" would fit inside the 15 now that I'm typing this out...)
2. buy a deep 20" bass drum off the bay (more expensive), 16" floor tom, 13" tom
3. 18" bass, 10x14" floor tom???, buy a 7x10 mounted tom
4. double bass bop kit with 16 & 18 bass drums.....

Seems I could make a few configurations but I will need to buy at least one drum, which I'm fine with.

Maybe I'll use my 24" as wall art.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I like option 3.

I had a sonic drive nesting kit for a short time. The bass drum didn't actually unclip and split in half, so you had to take one of the heads off. It's a pain in the arse, so make sure your kick splits in half.

greenstar323

I chose door #3! I started transforming my kit into a nesting it. Step 1 was to make sure I could actually use my 18" floor tom as a bass drum. It almost failed because no matter how I set up the spurs there was a lug right where my bass pedal should go. I moved the spurs to different brackets until it worked it.

Here is the bass before I cut it in half with the "floor tom" off to the left (still don't know if I want it to have legs or be a hanging tom). Eventually I will put another bracket on top where the holes are already and use a Dunnett mount for a 10" tom.

I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible. I already had a riser from my breakbeats kit so I bought a $15 hoop from DfD. My pedal clears it just fine.

(that's my poodle in the background)

Attachments

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Best of luck cutting that bad boy in half. How do you plan on holding it together afterwards? I'm picturing those clasps that hold say a tool box lid shut. You know the kind where you lift the little lever, clip it onto the thingy, and lever it shut.

greenstar323

Yes exactly! Something like that..I'm going to use a re-rings glued halfway off the shell to use as a guide and butterfly latches to hold them together. Something along the lines of this.

I might actually send it to Precision to cut in half for me. I don't live too far from there so at least I'd save on shipping costs.