Neil Peart's Ludwigs

RobertM

Platinum Member
I mainly came of age in the 1980s, and I never took Ludwig seriously. Tama and Pearl and Yamaha were on the radar. Now, however, Ludwig seems to be making a serious comeback—quality doesn’t seem to be an issue like before?

After seeing Carter McLean’s recent video of his 7-piece Classic Maple kit with varying bearing edges, I’m mighty impressed by the sound of these drums. That said, their hardware--especially their lugs--does not seem as up-to-date or reliable as high-end lugs by Sonor, Pearl, Noble & Cooley, etc.

Last edited:

Juniper

Gold Member
For me his best sounding kits were his Tamas between 'Permanent Waves' to 'Power Windows'

Helps those albums are sonically good on the drums, recorded and mixed really well.

RobertM

Platinum Member
I wish Ludwig would start offering more lacquer finishes. Bermuda: Please get the Ludwig brass to fix this! If they can do special lacquer finishes for Neil, the public should get them as well. It's not that hard to do--practically every other major drum company offers variety of lacquer options. So far, I only see "Golden Slumbers," "Aqua Burst," and maybe natural maple as Ludwig's only lacquer options?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I wish Ludwig would start offering more lacquer finishes. Bermuda: Please get the Ludwig brass to fix this! If they can do special lacquer finishes for Neil, the public should get them as well. It's not that hard to do--practically every other major drum company offers variety of lacquer options. So far, I only see "Golden Slumbers," "Aqua Burst," and maybe natural maple as Ludwig's only lacquer options?
They also offer cherry, mahogany, charcoal, and sable lacquers. I do wish they'd bring back the 90s blue shadow, flame shadow, and purple shadow. Ludwig has been pushing vintage wraps for a while and it would be nice to see a few more flashy lacquers too.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I don't believe Ludwig did the finishes for Neil. The resources listed earlier in the thread have info about who did what, but all the finishes on the Tama and Ludwig were from third parties, I believe.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
The tour book indicates that the Roll The Bones kit is Ludwig's blue shadow finish, although to my eye Neil's kit seems even darker than the standard blue shadow, though that might come down to lighting.

Stroman

Platinum Member
The tour book indicates that the Roll The Bones kit is Ludwig's blue shadow finish, although to my eye Neil's kit seems even darker than the standard blue shadow, though that might come down to lighting.
I missed the fact that it was a Ludwig finish on that one, or more likely had just forgotten it.

Edit - I just reread the tourbook, and it says Ludwig Super Classic with Blue Shadow finish. I'm not 100% sure that means Ludwig's blue shadow finish. Kinda like Candy Apple Red - lots of people do that color. And comparison to stock Ludwig Blue Shadow kits show a huge difference, IMO.

Without having a way to know for certain, I'd still wager that's a custom finish. Just my opinion! lol

Last edited:

Armor of Light

Ludwig sent the unfinished and undrilled 4-ply Super Classic shells to the Percussion Center of Fort Wayne where Bernie Stone fabricated several new mounts and hardware, customized, Vibra-Fibed, finished and assembled Neil's new tour kit in about a one month period. Neal Graham, owner of the Percussion Center, and Bernie shipped all of the hardware a week ahead but personally delivered the drums to Neil in Toronto and spent four to five days fitting the kit to Neil's rotating drum riser with the help of Neil's drum tech, Larry Allen, and stage production crew members Skip and Howard.
Could you possibly act as a Google and provide a short description of "Vibrafibed"?

Stroman

Platinum Member
Here's a quote from Neil on the topic of Vibra-Fibing.

On "Vibra-fibing" (the process of putting a fiberglass coating on the inside of the drum shells): "I’m not sure it was any big improvement, but it didn’t seem to hurt!"

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Here's a quote from Neil on the topic of Vibra-Fibing.

On "Vibra-fibing" (the process of putting a fiberglass coating on the inside of the drum shells): "I’m not sure it was any big improvement, but it didn’t seem to hurt!"
Is that a polite way of saying it did nothing?

RobertM

Platinum Member
They also offer cherry, mahogany, charcoal, and sable lacquers. I do wish they'd bring back the 90s blue shadow, flame shadow, and purple shadow. Ludwig has been pushing vintage wraps for a while and it would be nice to see a few more flashy lacquers too.
So, can we start a pressure campaign to get Bermuda to talk to Ludwig brass about more lacquer finishes?

The other satin stain finishes they offer are just boring: charcoal (really?), dark cherry, mahogany—they’re all colorless stains. How about some light blue, yellow, orange, purple, etc.? It can’t be that hard to offer more satin stain finishes.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I missed the fact that it was a Ludwig finish on that one, or more likely had just forgotten it.

Edit - I just reread the tourbook, and it says Ludwig Super Classic with Blue Shadow finish. I'm not 100% sure that means Ludwig's blue shadow finish. Kinda like Candy Apple Red - lots of people do that color. And comparison to stock Ludwig Blue Shadow kits show a huge difference, IMO.

Without having a way to know for certain, I'd still wager that's a custom finish. Just my opinion! lol
I worked at a Ludwig dealer at the time Neil was playing those drums. We had a handful of Ludwigs lacquer finish sets come through and a couple of their shadow finished sets. The quality of finish on the best of them was ho hum at best, so i agree with your wager that Neil’s blue set wasn’t finished by Ludwig.

vindrums

So, can we start a pressure campaign to get Bermuda to talk to Ludwig brass about more lacquer finishes?

The other satin stain finishes they offer are just boring: charcoal (really?), dark cherry, mahogany—they’re all colorless stains. How about some light blue, yellow, orange, purple, etc.? It can’t be that hard to offer more satin stain finishes.
I have a charcoal shadow kit that I happen to find quite beautiful. Throughout the years, Ludwig has offered almost all of the colors you have mentioned. In fact I was torn between an aqua stain or purple stain before choosing (what I thought would be a more timeless choice) charcoal. It is my understanding that the lacquer and stain finishes are quite labor intensive and are also not big sellers when compared to the wrap finishes. That is probably the reason that Ludwig chooses to offer a far wider range of wraps then they do stains and lacquer.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I think the biggest complaint about Ludwig's lacquer finishes stem from how they don't go for the "mile deep" clearcoat look that have become the standard.