Neil Peart's Ludwigs

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Did a search, no avail.

Anyone know the shell sizes of his A Show of Hands Ludwig kit? It was right in the "power tom era" & it looks like 24's but I'm not sure.

donzo74

This article has a lot of info on all of his hits: https://drummagazine.com/mean-mean-stride-the-drums-of-neil-peart/

Here's the one you are looking for...

The tour to support 1987’s Hold Your Fire saw another changing of the guard, kit wise. Sparing no expense, Peart lined up several different drum sets side by side and test-drove them all. Eventually he chose a Ludwig Super Classic set finished in an opalescent white, with some sparkles “and just a little pink mixed in.” The company made some concert toms, including adorable 6″ x 5.5″ and 8″ x 5.5″ sizes, but Peart opted for double-headed drums all the way around when push came to shove. The sizes: 6″ x 9″, 8″ x 9″, 10″ x 9″, 12″ x 8″, 13″ x 9″, and 15″ x 12″ rack toms, with an 18″ x 16″ floor tom.

donzo74

He was still using the dual 24's at that time, too. My first Rush concert was Presto in 1990 and this was the kit. I'll never forget how awesome it was to finally see Rush live for the first time!

vindrums

I know that I'm a total Ludwig whore, but I always thought that Neil's best drum sounds were from the Ludwig era.

Reactions: TJK

rebonn

Never realized he played the HiHat stand spread out to the left. Looks like he incorporated the tighter hoop mount set up later on.

RickP

Gold Member
Seppo of TRS Custom Drums owns two of Neil’s Ludwig kits . He owns the gorgeous blue Roll the Bones kit with the gold hardware and he also owns the plum coloured kit that Neil played Cottontail with the Buddy Rich Big Band .

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Ludwig sent the unfinished and undrilled 4-ply Super Classic shells to the Percussion Center of Fort Wayne where Bernie Stone fabricated several new mounts and hardware, customized, Vibra-Fibed, finished and assembled Neil's new tour kit in about a one month period. Neal Graham, owner of the Percussion Center, and Bernie shipped all of the hardware a week ahead but personally delivered the drums to Neil in Toronto and spent four to five days fitting the kit to Neil's rotating drum riser with the help of Neil's drum tech, Larry Allen, and stage production crew members Skip and Howard.

Since he vibrafibed most of his kits is it even possible to attribute a better sound to one brand over another.
Also, he made so many changes ... the choice of heads (through MPs he used hydraulic resos) and the tuning was so different. The tuning on the Ludwigs was really high ... and then he started lowering the overall tuning on the kit as he moved to DW.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Also, he made so many changes ... the choice of heads (through MPs he used hydraulic resos) and the tuning was so different. The tuning on the Ludwigs was really high ... and then he started lowering the overall tuning on the kit as he moved to DW.
He changed his playing style and worked on technique a lot during the 90’s too. I’m thinking the change in heads and setup was part of that progression. His head tuning on the ludwigs must’ve been like playing on a table top. I liked the Ludwig era sound though. The higher tuning, short decay and focused attack suited the music Rush was playing. Love the drum sound on A show of hands and Presto!

iCe

I remember the first time i saw the drum solo from that gig (can't remember the name) where he starts the solo after YYZ. Was on that white Ludwig kit and really liked it!

Borrowed the Live in Rio DVD years back and remember when he hit the 8, 10 and 12" toms i thought 'jeez those are tuned high' haha. Also in the R30 DVD i found those 3 pitched high, but in the shows afterwards they seem to sound a bit lower. The one in R40 sounds exquisite though!

incrementalg

Gold Member
Ludwig sent the unfinished and undrilled 4-ply Super Classic shells to the Percussion Center of Fort Wayne where Bernie Stone fabricated several new mounts and hardware, customized, Vibra-Fibed, finished and assembled Neil's new tour kit in about a one month period. Neal Graham, owner of the Percussion Center, and Bernie shipped all of the hardware a week ahead but personally delivered the drums to Neil in Toronto and spent four to five days fitting the kit to Neil's rotating drum riser with the help of Neil's drum tech, Larry Allen, and stage production crew members Skip and Howard.
Man, that’s a lot of work! Makes me look at Stone custom drums a bit differently too.

Seppo of TRS Custom Drums owns two of Neil’s Ludwig kits . He owns the gorgeous blue Roll the Bones kit with the gold hardware and he also owns the plum coloured kit that Neil played Cottontail with the Buddy Rich Big Band .
I always thought they were the same kit ....