Neil Peart

I was there when they recorded Time Machine 2011 and it sounded fine live. Clockwork Angels Live is way worse.

Agreed. I think whoever is mixing these live albums should be fired and replaced with someone better but if you were there, I imagine it would sound better in person rather than on a CD.

Bump ;)

I play with a guitar player (from a previous project) once a month and we play 2 medleys; one Dream Theater medley because of the influence it had on me and one Rush medley because the influence it had on him. I've always loved Neil's playing playing, but now to play the actual parts myself I realize how hard it is to play it properly! MP's parts in DT i can play without too much effort, because i played along with songs in the past. Rush is new for me and it's a real challenge. Love it!

La Villa Strangiato is also in the medley and i can't get enough of listening to this song! I have the Taking Center Stage dvd (got it 3 years back or so) and finally got A Work In Progress (still have to watch dvd 2). Love that once every 3 to 4 years i get inspired by a drummer and that i get a paradigm shift* playing wise.

Back to the previous comments; i got the R40 dvd and i really dislike the mixing. Also have the R30 dvd which sounds way better, but also think the recorded R40 show on the dvd lacks energy. Could be that the crowd is almost inaudible on that show, but it sounds like 'just' Rush doing their stuff at soundcheck.

*pun intended

Back to the previous comments; i got the R40 dvd and i really dislike the mixing. Also have the R30 dvd which sounds way better, but also think the recorded R40 show on the dvd lacks energy. Could be that the crowd is almost inaudible on that show, but it sounds like 'just' Rush doing their stuff at soundcheck.

*pun intended
I can't stand the mixing on Rush's last three live albums. I can barely hear the drums if I'm playing along to the R40 album.

For some reason, I think they'll be back. It may not be soon but I think there's one more album in them...

I'm pretty sure Geddy and Alex will at some point, though I'm not sure they'll call it "Rush" as I don't think anything will get Neil to come out of retirement.

I’m kinda happy in a way that Alex and Geddy are working on new projects, maybe we’ll get to see a different side of their musical abilities. Then, at least we’ll have something “kinda like Rush” instead of them all retiring and never hearing these great musicians play again.

I’m kinda happy in a way that Alex and Geddy are working on new projects, maybe we’ll get to see a different side of their musical abilities. Then, at least we’ll have something “kinda like Rush” instead of them all retiring and never hearing these great musicians play again.

Alex basically just said a day or so ago that Rush is done for good. Hopefully those two will do an album together. It'd be cool if there were no drums on it too.

No disrespect to Neil, but did he ever look happy to be playing?

As opposed to this guy

13164458_1790153747885004_538687943759478665_n.jpg

No disrespect to Neil, but did he ever look happy to be playing?

As opposed to this guy

13164458_1790153747885004_538687943759478665_n.jpg

He's actually joked about that. His mom asked him about it, and he said something like, "But Mom! I'm working hard!"

He'd often smile or laugh when they were goofing off.

He's actually joked about that. His mom asked him about it, and he said something like, "But Mom! I'm working hard!"

He'd often smile or laugh when they were goofing off.

getting too old for DMB but I shouldn't turn down the chance to see him this summer.

wish DMB had Rush's fanbase.

In my experience, drums move like that when there's a bit too much give in the flooring, regardless of how hard you hit. If he doesn't dent or break heads (as someone claimed) the flooring of the riser/stage may be a factor.

Neil was my first favourite drummer. I love how well he scripts his fills but I kinda don't like that he never varies from the script. Can you imagine playing the same song for 30 years and never coming up with an improvement on what you played in the original recording? That's unusual, but he's one of the greats to me.

Exactly. Neil's platform,is on some electric motor gear track (The drum techs use to turn by hand). So the platform is not exactly concrete stable. Plus, the fact that most of the stands are threaded into the platform and do not have actual legs. Neil plays hard, but theres finesse/touch which is why he does not break many cymbals or heads.

getting too old for DMB but I shouldn't turn down the chance to see him this summer.

wish DMB had Rush's fanbase.

Too old for DMB?? Unless you're confined to a hospital bed on oxygen or something, you aren't too old for DMB! Get out there, man. You never know when your last chance to see someone will be.

That applies in so many areas of life!

Too old for DMB??

the crowd stays the same age, I keep getting older. seen them 33 times and heard every song I've ever wanted to hear. they can only play Warehouse so many years in a row at Blossom.

Carter never ceases to amaze me but I'm not crazy about how the band's sound has changed.

I need to go see Tool, seeing Danny would be the next best thing to seeing Neil.

Alex basically just said a day or so ago that Rush is done for good. Hopefully those two will do an album together. It'd be cool if there were no drums on it too.

I really hated to see Rush stop touring because I had just gotten into listening to them after finding how great of a drummer that Peart is!!!! His drum kits through the later years of RUSH were absolutely mind-blowing and must have taken many hours to assemble!!!!

Other than Ronnie Tutt, Neil Peart runs a very close second as my #1 favorite drummer.

Back