Neil Peart Tribute (What songs did you play today?)

Defender

Silver Member
The professor is gone. I read it today when I got home from work. It's indeed a sad day for Rush fans.

I sat down at my drums a while ago and played the following Rush tunes as homage.
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight
Tom Sawyer
Force Ten
Time Stands Still
Subdivisions
New World Man

Than I tried and failed miserably at
La Villa Strangiato
Cygnus X-1 Book II

In my humble opinion (and yes it's just this guy's opinion, please don't start rant), Neil was and will forever be one of the top 5 greatest drummers to ever live.

Peace, Defender

Ha! Nice!

My immediate reaction was to sit down at the kit and play a few licks from his All the World’s a Stage solo.

Neil influenced me so deeply that sometimes I have to work to not sound too much like him.

Such a loss. Such a loss.

I don't have a good setup currently to try those tunes, but definitely been singing them in my head the last couple of hours.

I think Neil Peart is in the top 5 if you consider the sheer volume of his work, his skill in the vertical melodic sense, arrangement, composition, and lyrics. From a horizontal coordination sense, I have Gadd-Weckl-Vinnie-Jojo, all behind the man with the fast left hand, Buddy Rich.

EDIT: And longevity.

Last edited:
I was actually playing to my "weekly list" when I got the news today:

side 1 of Signals
side 2 of Power Windows
Natural Science
and had started Moving Pictures when I got the text from my friend...

I couldn't play after that...

will hit some more this weekend as well

still am numb...

I had a gig tonight and we realized that in no way could we pull anything off.

I am really shocked. I thought he would go a long time.

He's only 6 years older than me. In time.

In experience? Ha ha ha..

I haven't had a chance to get on a kit yet, but would probably ham through this. You know when the live vibe is special when an audience sings an instrumental!

Just listen to the bass / drums run at 4:20!!!

I might put on the "A show of hands" live concert tonight if I stay at home. I was at that concert, it was terrific!

I saw him play a few times, the first time I think was in 1979. Arms and hands that moved like machine gun, actually had never seen anything like that before up to that point. Tremendous speed and powerful player. Such a humble person too. R.I.P.

We did an acoustic show last night, my guitar player did a portion of one verse of Tom Sawyer. we weren't gonna attempt anything for real...

This was taken about a month after picking up the sticks after 10 years off this past June. Would love to make another one, but am managing a hand injury so I'm missing out on the "play-along grieving" process...

Tom Sawyer and Free Will were the songs that drew me in to the band but this song was the one that really captured me in those early days. Discovered Rush in 1987 when I was 12 years old.

If you're a serious Rush fan, you might recognize this kit. It has many more pieces in storage but it's a near replica of the kit he used for Test For Echo and Vapor Trails.

This was taken about a month after picking up the sticks after 10 years off this past June. Would love to make another one, but am managing a hand injury so I'm missing out on the "play-along grieving" process...

Tom Sawyer and Free Will were the songs that drew me in to the band but this song was the one that really captured me in those early days. Discovered Rush in 1987 when I was 12 years old.

If you're a serious Rush fan, you might recognize this kit. It has many more pieces in storage but it's a near replica of the kit he used for Test For Echo and Vapor Trails.

danondrums, I hadn't played in more than 20 years and just started again 2mo ago. Your video was really helpful.

Spirit of Radio.
Once when I was 16, my parents went away for a weekend.
I set up my drums in the living room, turned up 'Permanent Waves' on their stereo, and had the time of my life!

In my basement yesterday, I did it one more time.

Thank you Neil.

Spirit of Radio.
Once when I was 16, my parents went away for a weekend.
I set up my drums in the living room, turned up 'Permanent Waves' on their stereo, and had the time of my life!

In my basement yesterday, I did it one more time.

Thank you Neil.

that same thing happened to me...but the whole band came over and set up in the living room. Parents came home and saw the new "concert stage" and mom freaked out. Dad was like "Hell Yeah". We practiced there all summer...

Back