Need your opinions/advice about my rack tom

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Thanks for everyone's replies!

I think what I'm going to do is just keep my eyes open for a rack tom that matches. So far, I've only found a 13", but I really want a 12x7 or 12x8. I do NOT want to sell this kit. It is the perfect size and sound of what I want. I think the past 3 gigs or so I've done, I've just left the rack tom in the car due to the lack of room on the stage. Heck, I'd thought if I could find another Ludwig kit from the same era with the same wrap in like a 22", 12", 16" at a good price, I could have my own "shell bank." That would be pretty cool I think.

Some people have suggested rewrapping the whole kit. Ummmm...no. That's WAY too expensive, and I like the deep red glass glitter that's on them.

For now though, I'm going to go with option number one but keep option 3 in the back of my mind if I find a tom that I can't pass up. Thanks again for your help!

wildbill

Platinum Member
Besides expense, another problem with wrapping the whole set is that the lugs don't match and it still wouldn't look right.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Update:

This has pretty much been my go-to kit all summer long, and I'm playing about a half dozen gigs a month or so. It's been doing great!

I ordered a sample of Red Glass Glitter, and it's about a 97% match. There is an ever-so-slight orange-ish hue to it, but you only see it if you look at it in direct sun compared with what's already on my drums. And you have to REALLY look at it to see it. In other words, if I can find a 12" Ludwig tom, this should work as a re-wrap.

With that said, I'm still on the hunt for a 12" tom from the same time period. What I'm finding a a bunch of vintage 12" toms which isn't what I want. I've found a couple of red sparkle toms, but they are 13's. I have enough money saved to have one ordered from the factory, but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger just because it's soooo much money, and I'm going to get one of my debts paid off soon so I can get rid of that payment for our family.

The search continues. I'm just taking my time to see what happens.

The non matching lugs will only got noticed by elitist drummers who can never be pleased anyway

What does bother me though is that this is definitely not a Ludwig kind of shell size (at least not in that era). Looks like maybe a 13x7? Maybe even a 14? Ludwigs don't typically have such shallow toms in that wide of a diameter. That's just me though, but that's the part that would bother me.

So I'd wait it out until I can find a proper (13x9 or 12x8, but that's just me) matching tom, or rewrap the whole kit to match a new tom :)

Then I'd make a snare out of that shell.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
The non matching lugs will only got noticed by elitist drummers who can never be pleased anyway

What does bother me though is that this is definitely not a Ludwig kind of shell size (at least not in that era). Looks like maybe a 13x7? Maybe even a 14? Ludwigs don't typically have such shallow toms in that wide of a diameter. That's just me though, but that's the part that would bother me.

So I'd wait it out until I can find a proper (13x9 or 12x8, but that's just me) matching tom, or rewrap the whole kit to match a new tom :)

Then I'd make a snare out of that shell.
I think it's depth is 7" as far as I can tell, but I definitely know it's a 12" though. I have a 14" floor tom, and I consider a 13" a little too close in size. I think a 12" would look and sound better with the set-up.

I really like the red sparkle, so I'm looking to just wrap the tom. I'm hoping I can at least find a tom with a lacquer finish so I don't have to peel off an old wrap.

IBitePrettyHard

I have enough money saved to have one ordered from the factory, but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger just because it's soooo much money, and I'm going to get one of my debts paid off soon so I can get rid of that payment for our family.
If only drum companies didn't use the leverage they have on us to charge so much for add-ons.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I would like to suggest another option. I call it: "Stop stressing about what you have and go forward with the wisdom you have gained."

When you order your next kit, get the number/sizes/color/etc of drums you want without any compromise. I spent a year looking for a matching Renown floor tom before I said "screw it", sold my Renown to a friend for ~$700, and ordered my George Way. I even custom ordered so I could get the extra 14" FT.

I've been completely GAS free since receiving it.

scottser

I think your kit looks cool as it is. By all means try get a 12 but if you find a 13 for cheaper that matches go for it, you won't be disappointed.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I think all drum kits from now on should be made with matching shells but unmatched finishes or wraps. End the insane need for things to match. I've never seen a litter of pups, kittens, mice, hamsters, match-always variety. I would think people would insist no matching is boring-I want "variety". But no symmetry. My wife always wants to plant shrubs in odd numbers-my nature is even numbers of plants. But I don't really care than much about a drum finish one way or the other-never enters the equation when I buy a kit-if I can get what I want for a better deal because it's some hideous finish-all the better.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I think all drum kits from now on should be made with matching shells but unmatched finishes or wraps. End the insane need for things to match. I've never seen a litter of pups, kittens, mice, hamsters, match-always variety. I would think people would insist no matching is boring-I want "variety". But no symmetry. My wife always wants to plant shrubs in odd numbers-my nature is even numbers of plants. But I don't really care than much about a drum finish one way or the other-never enters the equation when I buy a kit-if I can get what I want for a better deal because it's some hideous finish-all the better.
I'd thought that if I find another Ludwig Classic Maple from the same time period with a 12 x 8, I may get those and just use the mismatched rack tom, but I would like for it to be a sparkle wrap.