Need your opinions/advice about my rack tom

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Ok, here's a pic of my drum set.

I got these for a really great price, and one of the reasons why is that the rack tom doesn't match. This kit was actually ordered as a 2-piece kit from Ludwig, and the rack tom was added later via a sale on Reverb by the person I got these from. In regards to the sound, I'm pretty darn happy with it. I don't think that it has the "mmmph" that the kick and the floor tom have; however, I am fully aware this may be (and most likely is) a placebo effect in my knowing that it's not a Ludwig. While I'm pretty happy with the sound, it's bugging me a little that it doesn't match. The wrap is 100% spot on, but it's a keller shell and supposedly that edges were cut at the Gretsch factory in SC. I'd thought about looking into ordering a 1-off tom from Ludwig, but this isn't an option because this wrap is no longer available there. So here are the options I'm exploring:

1. Leave things as they are, and waiting it out until a 12" matching tom is available and buy it. I have found quite a few, but they are all vintage or are the 3-ply with re-rings. I'm sure they sound great, but I'd like a 7-ply that matches the kit. I'm keeping my eyes open on eBay, Reverb, Jammin' Jersey, etc.

2. Take off the hardware and replace with Ludwig mini lugs (the same that's on the kick and floor). This would require drilling an addition hole per drum and possibly filling the existing hole with a dowel rod and glue. I would then get a matching Ludwig grommet and make it a fake-but-very-convincing Ludwig tom. I'd probably add some sort of decal or sticker to the inside of the shell stating that this particular tom is not a Ludwig with a brief history.

3. Look for a Ludwig USA rack tom in the size that I want that has a lacquer finish then buy a matching wrap from Precision Drum for $50 and rewrap the tom. Even if the wrap is the same from Precision on paper, I know I'm risking it not matching perfectly because different "runs" of drum wrap can differ. I'd thought about ordering a sample just to see how close it is.

I can play with the current set-up indefinitely, but I enjoy a good hunt too!

What do y'all think?

ludwig2.JPG

harryconway

Platinum Member
I'd look into having the rack toms bearing edge re-cut. Chances are, they are not the same, at all. You're right, not going with the older 3 ply Luddies. I've had both those and 6 ply shells, and side by side, they are not a match.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

I'd go with option 1, because it sounds like deep down you wouldn't be happy with something that doesn't match. It will take some time, but it's a long term project.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Go for option 1. Don't be put off by not getting a 7 ply Ludwig tom. Ludwigs sound like Ludwigs.

The profile pic kit is all odd Ludwig drums. If anyone came up to me at a gig and pulled me up on the badges not matching I'd tell them to get out more!

incrementalg

Gold Member
First, I'll give you the PC answer...It's all about the sound. Doesn't matter if they match or not...so long as they sound good.

My non PC answer...I'm shallow and the mismatching shell would bug me.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Option 1. Go for what you really want. You have a kit you like, that you are content to play, but just lacks that special something.

Keep playing the kit and enjoy the hunt for the perfect replacement tom.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
If it sounds good, leave it alone. Don't tell anyone else about it or they, like us now, will also feel bad for you.

TK-421

Do what Bo Eder would do.
Yes, buy an entirely new kit; post on DW endlessly about how much you love the kit, how it's vintage "vibe" is so perfect (or whatever); then immediately sell the kit and get the exact same sizes from another manufacturer. Then go on about how THAT kit is sooooo special, but then immediately sell it for something just like the first kit, but different. Then exclaim over and over how the drums don't matter at all, it's the drummer. Then ask the DW community what sizes you should get for your next kit... and get that kit the following day (but with sizes that have nothing to do with what everybody on DW recommended). And for good measure, be sure that at least one of those kits has a 40-foot bass drum. :)

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Ludwig used to offer building a drum with customer-supplied wrap. If you can find a match from Precision or Jammin' Sam you might be able to go that route.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I didn't want to be the one to say sell them and buy a proper matched Ludwig set, but someone beat me to it, so it's OK.

Other than that, I'd stick with option 1.

Peedy

Hmm. I’m thinking stick with whatcha got and get therapy. Keep coming back, it works.

Pete

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Yes, buy an entirely new kit; post on DW endlessly about how much you love the kit, how it's vintage "vibe" is so perfect (or whatever); then immediately sell the kit and get the exact same sizes from another manufacturer. Then go on about how THAT kit is sooooo special, but then immediately sell it for something just like the first kit, but different. Then exclaim over and over how the drums don't matter at all, it's the drummer. Then ask the DW community what sizes you should get for your next kit... and get that kit the following day (but with sizes that have nothing to do with what everybody on DW recommended). And for good measure, be sure that at least one of those kits has a 40-foot bass drum. :)
Ha ha.
Well...... I guess I was going for the first 6 words in your response. I think Bo would buy another new or used kit.

Soulfinger

Go minimal and lose the rack tom altogether. Or turn it into a power piccolo for a matching side (or main?) snare.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Option 1.

Be patient, and the right drum made with the right wood with the right bearing edges in the right size with the exact finish you want will be yours.

27B47657-1671-4616-8EEF-66D600235D53.jpeg