Need urgent help from someone with an SQ2 drumkit

Agd8

Hi guys,

As some of you may remember, I had an issue with a badly built sq2 kit.
I finally got the replacement and I've noticed something strange.

The gaps between the lugs on the bass drum are not even, and the difference is very noticeable. My BD is a 22", heavy maple shell.

The gap between the upper lugs (the ones on top that have the badge in between) is about 19.5 cm.
The gap between the bottom lugs (the ones that have the vent hole in between) reads about 21.5 cm.
The gap between the other lugs reads about 17.5 cm.

I have no idea if its deliberate or if Sonor dropped the ball again...
Please, can some of you measure the gaps between the lugs on your sq2 bass drum?

Thank you very much,

Amir.

I have no idea what the build spec's on an SQ2 are, but those differences are so big, I have a hard time believing they're a mistake. My guess is that they have a bigger distance at the bottom so the lugs don't foul on the floor, & maybe similar at the top to reduce overall height/potential fouling on mounted toms. That's only a guess on my part. If that's true, as long as they've ensured enough stiffness/rigidity in the bass drum hoop, it shouldn't be an issue, but it is an unusual compromise solution to say the least.

I don't have an SQ2 but a Delite shellkit with a 22x17.5 bass drum. I just checked for myself - it's like Andy said! Yes, the lug distance varies. If you _know_ this because you measured for yourself then you _see_ it, haha. But it never struck me before!!! Why did you create this thread? Now I see this, haha. I have pretty much the same range of distances. And they vary similarly if you compare the batter/reso side.

So I wouldn't worry. Andy's right - more lug distance at the bottom creates better stability on the ground. The top lugs have a similar distance - I think that's for cosmetics/to make it look even like at the bottom side.

Sure. But what if somebody's using a carpet/rug? Or has the bass drum legs so low that the bassdrum would touch the floor... (You might need this to have your beaters hitting the head where you want it, depending on your BD size.) Why not. If I was a rum manufacturer I might consider any aspect of my isntruments - like Sonor. (And BTW, I'm German. Maybe Germans tend to crack their brain about stuff others wouldn't think of...?)

I honestly think its to mount this

attachment.php

That is a Designer but the SQ2 has the same optional mount.

Glad to hear you got your kit finally and that this problem is not a problem but their purposeful design.

How do you feel about this buying experience? Do you think they made it easy for you or that they made it worth your time? Maybe a better way to ask it is, would you buy another kit from Sonor in the future after all of this?

That's crazy. I got into Useless ID when I heard them on a punk rock is your friend compilation. I really dig their new stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkIQhnIvU-E

Israel is one place I have yet to visit. I dated a super nice Israeli girl my first year in college. She was super cool. Growing up in Boca Raton, FL we had a lot of people from there. In fact I remember a lot of my friends would have to go back "home" for two years to do their Army time.

Back on topic - lets see some pictures! Small world that I actually got to see your SQ2 at the Sonor factory. The second I saw it I knew it was yours.

Glad to hear you got your kit finally and that this problem is not a problem but their purposeful design.

How do you feel about this buying experience? Do you think they made it easy for you or that they made it worth your time? Maybe a better way to ask it is, would you buy another kit from Sonor in the future after all of this?

That's a very good question...
I've been meaning to post a thread with pics of the new kit, along with a conclusion of the whole process.

That's crazy. I got into Useless ID when I heard them on a punk rock is your friend compilation. I really dig their new stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkIQhnIvU-E

Israel is one place I have yet to visit. I dated a super nice Israeli girl my first year in college. She was super cool. Growing up in Boca Raton, FL we had a lot of people from there. In fact I remember a lot of my friends would have to go back "home" for two years to do their Army time.

Back on topic - lets see some pictures! Small world that I actually got to see your SQ2 at the Sonor factory. The second I saw it I knew it was yours.

Small world indeed! Don't worry mate, pics will follow shortly.

Actually, It's not surprising Useless ID are not very popular here.
It's a very small country, this type of punk rock is no more than a small niche.
If a band is serious about doing this type of music, than they must aim to markets oversees. They do have a good fan base here, but it's no way near enough to live off of it.

Anyway, if you ever find yourself in my part of the world, be sure to give me a call.

I've been meaning to post a thread with pics of the new kit, along with a conclusion of the whole process.

Please do! I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to read your thoughts on the whole ordeal.

Back