Need Some Jazzy Help

iontheable

So, this past year my drumming is really coming alive. I have no expanded my play-ability too far, or as far as I would like. But the improvement is definitely visible when I get behind the kit.

With that said, would anyone mind giving me the snare pattern for this particular piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tMpmW875IM&feature=related

Its a cymbal sample video, but the first I found that described what I am attempting.

I understand it isn't hard whatsoever. And I am working on the basic jazz ride pattern with great success, also accompanied by the hats. However, I cannot seem to fit the snare in, as this video shows(about half way through) my playing always ends up getting back to the dull 2 & 4 - no matter how loose I try to be.

Thanks for any Insight!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Think of it this way.
When you are playing Jazz the snare compliments to music that is being played by the other
musicians that are playing. The ride pattern will also vary as it does in the video.
Practice playing your snare and your bass drum whenever you want to while you play the ride pattern.
That is what you are striving for.
The ability to play the bass and snare at will while playing a ride pattern that you can vary at will.
It is called independent coordination.
Don't think of Jazz beats like a Rock Beat where the snare defaults to 2 and 4.
The snare is free to do what it has to do in Jazz.

Get "The Art Of Bop Drumming" by John Riley and go through the beats in that book.
That book is one of the Bibles for Jazz drumming.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I'm assuming you're talking about the snare part starting around 1:24, as that's the only part that's marginally difficult to discern (because his ride arm is covering up his snare hand/stick), and is the only part worth copping...???

He's playing the second two partials of the triplet for most of it, to fill out the triplet and give it a solid swing. So, while the right hand ride pattern would be (with all counts written in, only the UPPER CASE counts actually played):

||: ONE - trip - let | TWO - trip - LET | THREE - trip - let | FOUR - trip - LET :||

...the basic idea for the snare hand would be, ghosted:

||: one - TRIP - LET | two - TRIP - LET | three - TRIP - LET | four - TRIP - LET :||

...with the THREE count accented, making it a half-time groove, similar to a Purdie Shuffle in feel.

One pattern that a lot of beginning jazzers play is the inversion of the para-diddle-diddle, in which the notes not played by the right hand in the basic jazz ride pattern are played as ghosts by the left hand on the snare. So, THAT pattern looks like this, (divided into triplet-quarter groupings):

||: RLL RLR RLL RLR :||

Heck, I even see a lot of more seasoned jazz drummers doing this, because it's a great basic pattern to lay down a great comping feel.

Hope this helps. :)

Get "The Art Of Bop Drumming" by John Riley and go through the beats in that book.
That book is one of the Bibles for Jazz drumming.
I would recommend this book strongly as well. GREAT post by bobda! Think of the snare hand as complementary to the other members of the ensemble, whether it be the melody, the comping of the piano/guitar, the "hits" or "catches" of the rhythm/horn section, or whatever. Play around with it, and see what comes up. When you become more independent and can express your ideas, you can mess around with playing WITH them or by playing a "counter" part.

Anyways, there's LOTS of advice to give on the topic of jazz comping. Feel free to ask. Some of us on this forum would LOVE to talk your ear off about it. :D

iontheable

Ha! Awesome responses, to the both of yous!

Really appreciate the breakdown caddy! And your explanation as well Bob!

I understand jazz drumming when I hear it, I just lock myself out of being able to play..too much damn rock music in my head >,<

That's really great though, I'm going to give it another go tomorrow and try to swing more freely!

I'll also look into that book as well, from the example pages I've found, it looks solid.

If anyone feels like chiming in with an exercise they find fun, I'm all ears.

moontheloon

Silver Member
definitely look into the John Riley books

until then start with very simple comping patterns

play the ride pattern with 2 & 4 on the hats and go through some patterns on the snare then kick

all quarter notes first

then all the "ands"

then mix them up

get used to 8ths before moving on to triplet patterns

John Rileys video The Master Drummer is phenomenal for developing everything jazz related and has a PDF print out that is second to none

once you are comfortable enough with this vocabulary to use it to say whatever you want to say it is truly one of the most fun expressive styles of drumming that exists in my opinion

take your time and see it through

you wont be sorry

moontheloon

Silver Member
Ha! Awesome responses, to the both of yous!

Really appreciate the breakdown caddy! And your explanation as well Bob!

I understand jazz drumming when I hear it, I just lock myself out of being able to play..too much damn rock music in my head >,<

That's really great though, I'm going to give it another go tomorrow and try to swing more freely!

I'll also look into that book as well, from the example pages I've found, it looks solid.

If anyone feels like chiming in with an exercise they find fun, I'm all ears.
i PM'd you a vid

let me know if you got it

iontheable

i PM'd you a vid

let me know if you got it
Perfect!

This will help my ability to go through the subdivisions much better, now that I am confident I am doing it properly.

Can't wait to get through some of this jazz work, I truly enjoy jazz drumming, although my jazz vocab is so limited.

Thanks Everyone

moontheloon

Silver Member
Perfect!

This will help my ability to go through the subdivisions much better, now that I am confident I am doing it properly.

Can't wait to get through some of this jazz work, I truly enjoy jazz drumming, although my jazz vocab is so limited.

Thanks Everyone
takes time brother

I recommend listening to jazz as much as you practice it