Need Some Inspiration

conza111

Hi all. I have been drumming four around 4 years now, I attend lessons every week from a great drum teacher, I try to play every day for around 20 mins if not longer. The trouble is, I find myself playing the same beats and fills over and over. Playing to songs on my ipod with the same beats every time. I don't feel like I am getting better technically.

I love the drums, and I enjoy playing them, I just wondered if anyone had any advice on what i could do to improve my drumming or make it more rewarding/fun.
Thanks.

Try changing up what you listen to. That always seems to work for me.
I go to Pandora and type in anything and something usually grabs me.
Lately I've gotten into Drum & Bass techno'ish kind of music, thanks to Jojo Mayer.
It's like Tony Williams meets acid.

Listen to other stuff, that's good advice. But maybe it's time to play out with others? Find some like-minded musicians and have a jam for fun. Playing long with your iPod is one thing, holding a band together and playing for a band are two completely different things.

Thanks guys. New music is the path I was heading down. I'm going to try and play more jazz but man its hard. I can play a bit but a great jazz drummer like Buddy in my opinion is the best drummer ever.
I guess I should play along to his tracks.
And ill also try and get a few guitarist mates round my house for a jam. I should have done that years ago. Thanks for the help guys.

Back