need some info/help from the Tama guys

v.zarate

Gold Member
ok here it is....

i got offered a tama starclassic performer (somewheres around 00'-05'). its the birch model NOT THE MAPLE.

i was wondering how its compared to the newer all-birch silverstar/superstar models.

- do they relatively sound the same? being all 3 kits are birch?
- is the older birch starclassic still a better kit than the newer birch silverstar/superstars models?
- are they thicker shells?

im pretty sure the older starclassic were built in japan and the newer stuff is built in china.

when it came to tama, ive owned/played a 2003 rockstar kit and a few snares. never played the older starclassics or newer all-birch silverstars/superstars

just need to know so i dont waste my time driving an hour away just to try them out.

Tbonez

I'm a huge fan of the birch sound...Walnut is all the rave today for its resonance. I still love the warm (and to me) the drier sound of birch. To me the perfect kit tama makes is the birch/bubinga. The all bubinga is a little dead for my taste. The b/b has the warmth of birch and the resonance of walnut. That's MY opinion and I'm nowhere near the level of some of these guys on this forum. If I had an option of a low cost birch kit I would pick it up in a second, however. I own a b/b kit and my next kit will be a DW, Tama birch or a Risen drum kit.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I'm a Tama birch guy myself,and own vintage superstars,which are some of the best drums ever made...period.

That era of starclassic were made in Japan,and are top of the line Tama.I personally think the birch shells sing a bit more,and have a bit more attack then the maples do.

Some say that you lose the bottom end of maple,and some warmth,but the right tuning and heads will give you all the... umpth...of maple.

Steve B

ermghoti

Silver Member
ok here it is....- do they relatively sound the same? being all 3 kits are birch?
Probably. Most multiply drums sound pretty similar. Heads and tuning will make way more difference than the wood involved.

- is the older birch starclassic still a better kit than the newer birch silverstar/superstars models?
Yes, arguably. The SCs were all made in Japan, built just the same as their top-of-the-line kits. More valuable, everything else being equal, to the kits built outside of Japan.

- are they thicker shells?
They probably all have 6mm toms, 7 mm kick.

v.zarate

Gold Member
thanks guys for the responds

just need to know. ive played a bunch of birch kits over the years but never a starclassic (idk why). i take it that the 00'-05'ish birch starclassics performers are still more refined than the newer 2010 and up silverstars/superstars.

idc about the age, i just wanted to know the difference in quality/built-wise/tone

I'm a Tama birch guy myself,and own vintage superstars,which are some of the best drums ever made...period.

That era of starclassic were made in Japan,and are top of the line Tama.I personally think the birch shells sing a bit more,and have a bit more attack then the maples do.

Some say that you lose the bottom end of maple,and some warmth,but the right tuning and heads will give you all the... umpth...of maple.

Steve B
i def. knew you were gonna come in here! really glad too!

yes, i know all about the tuning ranges and the stress that come with it LOL.

maybe i should arrange something and go try them out right after i go into GC and try some of the newer tama stuff.

MPortnoy

I owned one of those Starclassic Performer 100% Birch back in 2003 and it sounded great, however I haven't played the Superstars so I can't really tell on the sound difference but most probably they are going to sound very similar, the difference will be in everything else.
Back in those days, the Starclassic line was the flagship for Tama, Maple being more expensive than the Performer because of the shell but everything else was exactly the same and of course, as it has been mentioned they were built in Japan.
The Superstars are nowhere close to the flagship line so you will have less attention to detail and therefore a less valuable product.

To me it's like comparing a 1980's Porsche 911 vs. a 2014 Honda Civic......I'd go with the Starclassic without doubt.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I am not a real big fan of the lower level Tama birch kits. And I play a superstar all birch that I am trying to sell to upgrade to a SC Maple. There is just something lacking in the superstar/silverstar kits. That being said, the Starclassic birch kits really do sound great. I dont know what the difference is, but there really is a huge difference in sound from one Tama line to the next.

I would say go for it, you wont be disappointed by any of the Starcalssic kits.

v.zarate

Gold Member
I owned one of those Starclassic Performer 100% Birch back in 2003 and it sounded great, however I haven't played the Superstars so I can't really tell on the sound difference but most probably they are going to sound very similar, the difference will be in everything else.
Back in those days, the Starclassic line was the flagship for Tama, Maple being more expensive than the Performer because of the shell but everything else was exactly the same and of course, as it has been mentioned they were built in Japan.
The Superstars are nowhere close to the flagship line so you will have less attention to detail and therefore a less valuable product.

To me it's like comparing a 1980's Porsche 911 vs. a 2014 Honda Civic......I'd go with the Starclassic without doubt.
awesome to hear you owned a set.

how were the bearing edges?
how were the interiors and hardware? were the screws bass color or black? i know the brass ones in my rockstar rusted to hell.
was the wrap made of good stuff??

what should i be looking for in terms of "problems" with them? if there are any?

v.zarate

Gold Member
I am not a real big fan of the lower level Tama birch kits. And I play a superstar all birch that I am trying to sell to upgrade to a SC Maple. There is just something lacking in the superstar/silverstar kits. That being said, the Starclassic birch kits really do sound great. I dont know what the difference is, but there really is a huge difference in sound from one Tama line to the next.

I would say go for it, you wont be disappointed by any of the Starcalssic kits.
so you have played both...great!

MPortnoy

awesome to hear you owned a set.

how were the bearing edges?
how were the interiors and hardware? were the screws bass color or black? i know the brass ones in my rockstar rusted to hell.
was the wrap made of good stuff??

what should i be looking for in terms of "problems" with them? if there are any?
It's been years since I sold them so to be honest, I don't remember about the bearing edges or the interior screws but I never noticed any of the screws rusting.

My Performer was Lacquer finish (Walnut) and it looked awesome, no complaints there.....the wrap ones were called Performer EFX.

Overall, I don't remember having any issue with them and I gigged with them at least once a month so they had a rough life. Tama's hardware is one of the best.

The only reason I sold them was because I moved to a different country, otherwise I'd kept them.

v.zarate

Gold Member
It's been years since I sold them so to be honest, I don't remember about the bearing edges or the interior screws but I never noticed any of the screws rusting.

My Performer was Lacquer finish (Walnut) and it looked awesome, no complaints there.....the wrap ones were called Performer EFX.

Overall, I don't remember having any issue with them and I gigged with them at least once a month so they had a rough life. Tama's hardware is one of the best.

The only reason I sold them was because I moved to a different country, otherwise I'd kept them.
no problemo! ill take a look inside when i go look at them. ill check the bearing edges too.
then this one is an EFX cause it has a wrap from what im told