Need recommendations for a snare/tom stand that can hold a 10kg steel tom.

Tyrolite

As the title suggests, I am in need of a stand that can grip a 10''x10'' tom that weighs a couple more kg's than your average tom drum! As its pretty tall (254mm to be exact) I am sceptical that a normal stand will hold it. You dont want this puppy to fall on your feet while your playing thats for sure! Also I'll want to tilt the drum slighty about 15 degrees or so without the whole thing tipping over so I need a really sturdy stand. What do you guys recommend?

Picture below. As you see my current stand wont close all the way in.

Thanks!10x10 stål.jpg

The tilt is the culprit here. Almost any road-worthy snare stand will to the job, but tilting the mass off the stand’s axis is inviting a problem.

I don’t know of any “wide base”snare stands. They’re all designed to fit in a tight spot.

Also, won’t 10kg of weight on the bottom hoop be problematic for tuning?

The tilt is the culprit here. Almost any road-worthy snare stand will to the job, but tilting the mass off the stand’s axis is inviting a problem.

I don’t know of any “wide base”snare stands. They’re all designed to fit in a tight spot.

Also, won’t 10kg of weight on the bottom hoop be problematic for tuning?
Yes the drum actually pushes alot of weight on the bottom rim now when I think about it. It tunes pretty good though and if anything all that weight will just make the resonant a litte tighter at most. Perhaps a drastic tilt will push one side of the rim alot and affect the tuning.

Perhaps a drastic tilt will push one side of the rim alot and affect the tuning.
Quite possibly.

Have you considered hanging it with a RIMS style system? A Tama Roadpro stand could handle the cantilevered weight.

From the Guager FAQ page:
Q: Can you make me a RIMS® mount for a 18" drum?
A: We have tried this in the past, and the issue is that the drum becomes too heavy and large for the stand to only hold it from one side. For rack mounting a drum this size, it really needs to be held by two stands. So we do not make a 18" RIMS® mount.

The weight isn’t the problem, weight cantilevered is the problem. With a 10” diameter, the center of gravity is still close to the stand. I don’t think it’d be a problem for this size.

This is the snare stand I use my for my 35 pound bronze snare.

And it doubles as Tom stand to with these little grips in the basket to help with sustain.

Air lift tech is nice too

If you use an offset snare stand, make sure to have the offset away from you and then tilt the drum toward you, putting the center of gravity back over the base. I would also recommend against a friction style tilter (ball and socket or Tama's quick set) and go with one that has teeth. Also, if you have the floor space, you can replace the smaller base (tripod leg portion) with a wider one from a cymbal or tom stand for added stability. You may have to modify it's height, but that isn't terribly difficult if you're handy with tools.

While a RIMS style system would solve the issue with all the weight on the reso hoop, it will also put your COG pretty far off center possibly making it unstable.

If the weight on the reso hoop altering the tuning while on a snare stand is indeed an issue, you would need to remove the inner springs from your bottom lug casings and replace with something solid and then put a lock nut (like Ludwig's tuning lock nuts) and tension them against the hoop to prevent the hoop from moving once tuned properly.

I personally wouldn't use it because of the "gearless tensioning" on the tilter. I don't know how they are doing it now, but I had an older (plastic/rubber internal) version of the Tama quick set and it would slowly tilt when the temps crept up. I wouldn't trust anything with substantial weight to a toothless (gearless) tilter.
Also, while I prefer not having much of an offset (actually none at all) on my snare stand, in this case it might be beneficial for your COG as I pointed out above.

How heavy is this thing?
Thanks! Actually replacing the legs with a cymbal stand is a really good tip! WIll probably come in handy. Tuning hasn't been an issue so far while I tried it, sitting freely on a stand.

It weighs between 10-11kg. 7mm thick solid steel, turned in a lathe.

If you guys are interested on how it sounds I can post a video clip of it also.

On musicians friend site if you look at details some will say like 12" to 14" or 10" to 15" for snare stands. Not sure exact model but my pearl stand would tighten down my 10" Tama Bruford snare.

If you need wider legs you could try the base of a cymbals stand that's low ehough and fits the tubing of the snare basket. In any case, if possible you want a leg facing the same way the drum tilts.

I dont know if you will like this idea or not, but putting some floor tom legs on that thing should solve your problem.

What does that 123445679900lb Paiste kit use to mount the toms?

That's a cool drum. Did you build it?

I dont know if you will like this idea or not, but putting some floor tom legs on that thing should solve your problem.

What does that 123445679900lb Paiste kit use to mount the toms?

That's a cool drum. Did you build it?

Yes, me and my father built it piece of solid steel that weighed 70kg before machining! It has a incredible bass tone for a 10'' tom. We also built a 8x8 solid steel tom that could be mounted on a cymbal stand. That thing was 10mm thick at first! Cymbal stand could barely hold it. Finaly decided to turn it down to 7mm after I heard how to 10x10 with 7mm shell sounded :).

I ordered a Pearl 930d with teeth lock system for the drum. Lets see how this turns out when I recieve the shipment.

That Paiste bronze kit you're talking about has some custom mounts where the 8'' and 10'' is mounted on the cymbal stands. Thats what inspired me to do these steel drums. I originally wanted to do bronze but ordering that material was gonna be ridiciously expensive!

As the title suggests, I am in need of a stand that can grip a 10''x10'' tom that weighs a couple more kg's than your average tom drum! As its pretty tall (254mm to be exact)
Well, kudos on making that thing. Since you seem to have metalworking skills ..... you might have to fabricate a little ..... but maybe something like a Djembe stand sorta thing.

Attachments

• gbstdj2_1_1.jpg
    gbstdj2_1_1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
Back