Need help with independence

This might be beneath the skill level being examined here - but the simple route to independence that I was taught was to arrange the limbs in grid form on paper and transpose them all one at a time till you've been through all the permutations.
To my shame I can't visualise how that grid is arranged off the top of my head - anyone remind me?
Please refer to the post “You know you’re getting old when...” haha

But we've assumed the worse case scenario (I think) - that the OP is someone who wants to learn the stuff that makes a good drummer, which in turn makes good music. Heart beats and limbs scrubbing jeans during a walk in the park is not music, at least not the kind that's readily perceived in today's world as creative, or even aspiring. It would be just weird.

(worse case in the sense that it's something that takes a lot of dedication to conquer or achieve)

So very true, bluejeans and heartbeats make not music. And you are right the OP is looking for advice on improving and there have been many excellent suggestions in this thread so far.

For me, that proverbial ship sailed long ago with respect to reading charts/sheet music - esp. since that would make it more like work than fun, and I have enough work without making drumming another chore. I play alone and enjoy it immensely. Having said that, IF I were really looking to get really good and drum for a living, then absolutely would invest the time and energy (the ⬆ aforementioned "dedication to conquer or achieve") in order to become the best drummer possible...which would include sight-reading. And charts, and etc... so @CM2112 it's there for the taking.

For me, that proverbial ship sailed long ago with respect to reading charts/sheet music - esp. since that would make it more like work than fun, and I have enough work without making drumming another chore.
It does take a little work, so it isn't for everybody. That said, I do think that rhythm is something innate that can harnessed with enough practice and experience. Especially if you listen to a lot of music. The visual aspect of a drumset spread out before you helps give you a picture of what you are doing and plan to do.

I spend most of my practice time trying to maintain technique. But I do see patterns on a staff in my mind. If I'm trying to do a difficult cover, I'll transcribe it and then sight read as I'm performing a take. The past year has been more cover work and technique maintenance than reading from books.

(if I want to hit the 'e' of count '3' with my kick, I can see a dot on a grid of four empty quarter notes)

Last edited:
The Alan Dawson rudimental ritual.
Soloing over Ostinatos.
Advanced Techniques For The Modern Drummer
The New Breed 1 and 2
Wanna really get jiggy with it? Got an extra drum set?

Set it up left-handed if you're a righty.

Good luck!

So we're just missing a stethoscope, a mic, and some mixing gear to generate the jeans/arm groove pattern over a human heartbeat ostinato. Where is Andy McCauley when you need him LOL.
So you teed this one up for me nicely, although it's not Andy McCauly I'm going to hit this 300 yards straight down the fairway:

That guy needs to be stopped. Just because he has $$$ doesnt mean his ideas are good.
People said the same things about Tesla and Edison. Bell as well.

This has helped me immensely in this area:

So you teed this one up for me nicely, although it's not Andy McCauly I'm going to hit this 300 yards straight down the fairway:

What's the abstention from Youtube links these days? Or why do the Spotify links only play 20 seconds of the song??

Anyway, great tune. It's one of those power/endurance tunes I tend to stay away from. The energy required is equivalent to 3 or 4 days of rehearsal. And it's all dominant-side drumming.

I think he should stick with cars. Im just gonna leave it at that.
I admire him for being the first and only person to develop a rocket that can land and be reused. Also for getting our space program off the Soyuz teet.
I am not sold on Starlink yet, but it could be a game changer when it comes to rural broadband availability, which you and I both know is sorely lacking.

What's the abstention from Youtube links these days? Or why do the Spotify links only play 20 seconds of the song??

No reason other than I always have Spotify up and running, it's easy peasy for finding any tune by anyone anytime. I think Spotify only plays snipets in order to get new customers. I piggyback on my son's premium account, so for me it's fabulous.

But here it is on youtube:

Anyway, great tune. It's one of those power/endurance tunes I tend to stay away from. The energy required is equivalent to 3 or 4 days of rehearsal. And it's all dominant-side drumming.
:)

Search for Efrain Toro's materials. He's pretty out there, but his basic ideas are solid, and I think everyone could benefit from them.
After the basics it suddenly becomes extremely hard and demanding though

I have, but I haven't had time to check it out. It looks a bit esoteric, I hope it works well with the accompanying videos.
If you want to get into his system, look for his book "For your hands only" which explains the basic stuff. For Efrain it's all about downbeats, upbeats and dotted notes. Also the relationship between 2 and 3

Lots of great suggestions already, and I will add this: Be able to sing rhythms or melodies while keeping time.

Start by keeping a basic pulse (quarters) and sing something, anything...

Here's an Indian musician demonstrating.

Back