Need help with "floor" tom

dirtyclinic

I just bought this older Pearl Export series 5-piece set for dirt cheap. The 2 rack toms have the I.S.S. system that mount to the bass drum arms. The Floor tom has no legs and has nowhere to put legs. It is 14 inches in diameter. I was thinking it may mount to a stand but there is no hardwhere or anything. Do i need to buy an I.S.S. thing for it and even then, what do I mount it to? A cymbal stand? And to what on that stand? Thanks.

O3e8jyw.jpg

OzZMh7x.jpg

Someone took the ISS off. You would need another one as well as an L arm and clamp. If it's deep enough I would just drill it for legs, but that's because I really don't like dealing with mounted floor toms.

I play my "rack" tom (12"x8") in a snare stand. I've never tried that arrangement with a floor tom. The diameter of your floor tom (14") would, of course, fit fine in a snare stand, but the depth would probably position the drum at an uncomfortable height. You could give it a try, however, just for the sake of experimentation. Otherwise, ineedaclutch's advice seems on target.

Last edited:
The diameter of your floor tom (14") would, of course, fit fine in a snare stand, but the depth would probably position the drum at an uncomfortable height.

A tube cutter and about 10 minutes solves that issue. That is if modifying stands is acceptable. I do it, but not everyone is comfortable cutting up their hardware.

A tube cutter and about 10 minutes solves that issue. That is if modifying stands is acceptable. I do it, but not everyone is comfortable cutting up their hardware.

There's the solution then. It's probably what I'd do were I in the OP's predicament. I don't like tom mounts, as you know, and modifying a stand seems simpler than drilling a floor tom for legs.

I just bought this older Pearl Export series 5-piece set for dirt cheap. The 2 rack toms have the I.S.S. system that mount to the bass drum arms. The Floor tom has no legs and has nowhere to put legs. It is 14 inches in diameter. I was thinking it may mount to a stand but there is no hardwhere or anything. Do i need to buy an I.S.S. thing for it and even then, what do I mount it to? A cymbal stand? And to what on that stand? Thanks.

You can suspension mount it like everyone said or you can turn into a more proper floor tom that sits on the floor:

For suspension mounting:

A Pearl ISS mount:

A tom holder:

And a clamp that holds the tom holder to a stand:

I don't like suspended floor toms so I would actually look at a R.I.M.S. floor tom mount.

Then you'll need some floor toms legs to go with it:

Here's another alternate to the RIMS system:

Like others have said, put legs on it.

A regular floor tom takes up less space and is easier to position than a suspended one.

Does Pearl sell the parts you need?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will drill some holes and put some brackets on there and then get legs. I actually love the idea of the floor mount thing but it is pretty expensive. I only spent $100 on this whole drum set so I kind of don't want to spent over $150 to get this tom playable. I think I can spend around $50 and get it working.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will drill some holes and put some brackets on there and then get legs. I actually love the idea of the floor mount thing but it is pretty expensive. I only spent $100 on this whole drum set so I kind of don't want to spent over $150 to get this tom playable. I think I can spend around $50 and get it working.

Omg yea...haha - a lot of the floor tom options would like triple the overall cost of your cost!

Nice score.

When I get the whole thing put together, I will revisit this thread and post a pic. Thanks again. By the way, the snare side head on the snare drum is torn and some of the other heads are just really worn, some with dents. So I need to decide whether to fix this to the point that it is a complete set (and sell it) or actually fix it to the point that I would enjoy playing it......and probably end up selling it after I have had the satisfaction of fixing it and playing with it. It is a 5-piece in decent shape...I got it for $100. the most banged up drum is that floor/rack tom. I think because it wasn't mounted it just got beat up on the ground over the years. The bass pedal and hi hat stand are Pearl brand and probably came with the set but they seem very sturdy and high quality. It only came with hi-hats for cymbals. Sabian B8 that I could sell for $30...so there is almost a 1/3 of my money back right there. No throne or other cymbals or stands.

Even more hilarious that you have that DW in the background!

That's low. I dunno if a snare stand could be modded to go that low and the tripod still fold up. The fold up is the problem, not the low.

That's low. I dunno if a snare stand could be modded to go that low and the tripod still fold up. The fold up is the problem, not the low.

I did put it on a snare stand and it was so high, I didn't even know what I could do to make it low enough. I was thinking of what I could cut and reattach and nothing was looking like it would work with what I had. The brackets and legs are ordered from EBay. I got the legs for $20 and the brackets for $13. So this project is still looking inexpensive.

I did put it on a snare stand and it was so high, I didn't even know what I could do to make it low enough. I was thinking of what I could cut and reattach and nothing was looking like it would work with what I had.
For future reference, you cut the bottom of the inner tube. You then remove the clamp from the top of the outer tube. It will have a roll pin you press out. Once it is off, cut the same amount of tube off as you did from the inner tube. Press the clamp back on, done.

You can make the stand as short as you want. If you make it too short the legs wont fold. That's the issue.

Okay, I got a new batter side head for the 14 inch tom

zDuo6rF.jpg

A new resonant side head for it as well

DMOKdU0.jpg

And new legs for it

lA9R3g5.jpg

I picked up the heads for $5 a piece. The batter one was a stock one off of some drum set that a guy had but changed it when it was new. The resonant one is an old one he took off of a drum a while back. I got the legs from Ebay. I am just waiting on the snare side head and the brackets for the floor tom, then this project will be about over.

H6xnwkZ.jpg

I got the legs from Ebay. I am just waiting on the snare side head and the brackets for the floor tom, then this project will be about over.

H6xnwkZ.jpg
Yes. I think you're going the right direction, putting legs on that 14. I've drilled several toms (to add legs) over the years. It's one thing, if you're putting Pearl parts on a Pearl drum, and you're trying to make it as "factory" perfect as possible. Buy it's simple. You find another Pearl floor tom. Measure the hole placement (old adage ..... "measure twice ..... cut once"). If you're "not" going for perfection ..... "close enough for government work" will be fine. And on a $100 drum set ..... you certainly need not worry about "devaluing" it.

Those ISS mounts tend to choke the drum. Especially larger, heavier drums. Hanging floor toms were all the rage. Maybe not quite so popular now. Legs, I think, are a better/best option. I hung a 14x10 and a 15x12 with ISS, and it wasn't at all satisfactory. ISS was Pearls first attempt at "suspension" mounting, and it was rather quickly relegated to lower tier/price point drums when Pearl OptiMount (much superior) came out.

Orange Amps. Cool !!!!!

Okay, THe snare side head came in today. Just waiting on the brackets for the legs. I got them from China though, they could be a while.

ohkpanc.jpg

6MGACit.jpg

HVhvuEt.jpg

Back