Need help with cymbal stand.

Vinny

I could use some help on a couple things. Just got my first drum set. Bought used Stage Customs.

The ride cymbal stand has a loose part that won't tighten firmly so it pretty loose. It's where the arm that the ride cymbal sits on goes into what I think is called a boom clamp that has small teeth.
To make things worse, I was puzzled why it was loose so I unscrewed it all the way off and a spring fell out of somewhere. Now I cant determine where the spring goes.
Can you guys advise how to get that clamp fitting tight?
Where does that spring go?

The loose clamp is the lower one in the pics. (sorry, pic so big)

20161206_105619.jpg 20161206_105657.jpg

*(I posted this under my first beginner thread but figured it may be better posted here)

wildbill

Platinum Member
It looks like you might be missing some pieces. Here's a pic of a similar Yamaha stand (might be a different model).
There's a screw on one side to adjust tilt, and one on the other to set height.
There's a machined area where the spring fits into:

Last edited:

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
It is also worth noting that you have a boom stand and occasionally things don't line up properly. Try turning the rotating section around. It may just be that there is a burr that is not allowing the sections to seat together.

Vinny

It looks like you might be missing some pieces. Here's a pic of a similar Yamaha stand (might be a different model).
There's a screw on one side to adjust tilt, and one on the other to set height.
There's a machined area where the spring fits into:
I see. I have only one wing bolt with nothing on the other side.
I'm missing that washer on the inside too.

Are these kind of parts available, or should I just live with it?
20161206_140415.jpg

Last edited:

wildbill

Platinum Member
I see. I have only one wing bolt with nothing on the other side.
I'm missing that washer on the inside too.

Are these kind of parts available, or should I just live with it?
View attachment 76354

The parts are available. I've contacted Yamaha several times about things and always got a quick response.
I've never actually ordered parts from them though.

In general, and IMO, individual Yamaha parts are priced pretty high.
By the time you figure out all the parts you need and order them,
you might be better off using it as-is, or looking for another used stand
with all the pieces there.

Vinny

The parts are available. I've contacted Yamaha several times about things and always got a quick response.
I've never actually ordered parts from them though.

In general, and IMO, individual Yamaha parts are priced pretty high.
By the time you figure out all the parts you need and order them,
you might be better off using it as-is, or looking for another used stand
with all the pieces there.
Thanks wildbill ... I appreciate your help and agree with you.

Also found the bass drum leg on one side wont lock and keeps slipping. After looking closer I see it's not same part as the one that locks in place.
Any ideas where one can find used parts like a bass drum leg?

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Hey Vinny:

If you live near Phoenix, Arizona I can come by and help you. I can provide the parts and help you with what you need for your whole kit. No cost to you.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
This particular stand model is prone to "jamming" when the boom is inserted directly down the vertical tube sections. Try removing the boom arm from the tube, & using it as a boom stand (as in HJ's diagram). You may find that the teeth of the adjustment gear then line up perfectly. Somewhat strangely, after you've done that, you also may find the teeth line up once you use it in straight stand mode again. I've had this happen on a few occasions. I think it's actually a spring issue. Just try it & see if it helps before contemplating replacement parts.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
See if you can find a bolt with same diameter as missing wing nut at a local hardware store to tighten it up. You may find a washer that would work too.

Vinny

It is also worth noting that you have a boom stand and occasionally things don't line up properly. Try turning the rotating section around. It may just be that there is a burr that is not allowing the sections to seat together.
Know what you mean about the teeth lining up. The problem is the wing bolt won't squeeze them together tight, even though the wing bolt is turned as far as it goes.

Vinny

Hey Vinny:

If you live near Phoenix, Arizona I can come by and help you. I can provide the parts and help you with what you need for your whole kit. No cost to you.

That's very kind of you Hollywood Jim. I don't live in AZ but will be there over the holidays.

Vinny

This particular stand model is prone to "jamming" when the boom is inserted directly down the vertical tube sections. Try removing the boom arm from the tube, & using it as a boom stand (as in HJ's diagram). You may find that the teeth of the adjustment gear then line up perfectly. Somewhat strangely, after you've done that, you also may find the teeth line up once you use it in straight stand mode again. I've had this happen on a few occasions. I think it's actually a spring issue. Just try it & see if it helps before contemplating replacement parts.
Thanks "keep it simple". Will try that. Come to think of it, I noticed last night that when I took the boom out of the tube it would tighten up. Weird.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
That's very kind of you Hollywood Jim. I don't live in AZ but will be there over the holidays.
Well if you are driving to Phoenix, throw the drums and hardware that have issues in the car and we can hook up while you are here.
And we will sort out and solve your problems.

STXBob

Gold Member
Well if you are driving to Phoenix, throw the drums and hardware that have issues in the car and we can hook up while you are here.

This is why I love this place. People like you, Jim. Well done, sir.

Vinny

You are too kind!
We may not have enough room left in the car. Regardless, it would be a pleasure to meet you and make a new friend in Phoenix.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
The picture of Hollywood Jim is a close up of a CS-745 stand.

Here is a diagram with numbers of your specific stand, the CS-735:

The clamping issue in straight mode can come forward if part 3-3 isn't alligned properly with the top of part 3. This because part 3-4 is sometimes a bit strong.

You will seee that KIS' tip works out well. You will also notice that when you clamp down screws 3-1 and 3-5 (even the one used for setting the boom angle) it will stay locked firmly.

Woolwich

Silver Member
Maybe it's worth buying a top section of a boom, either the Yamaha model or one from Gibraltar or even another make, the tube diameters are fairly standard. I just sold a Sonor 400 series top tube and boom arm for £15 in the UK on eBay so there'll be no shortage of options in the USA I would imagine.