need help with a drum clinic

im going into senior year, and a graduation requirement is a senior project.

for mine, i want to do a drum clinic.

my focus for the clinic is to help non-drummers understand that we do more than hit stuff, im trying to end a lot of confusion in my community (my church-im the only drummer there)

part of that is that im going to have to use simple songs as examples, if i play crazy stuff it will just confuse people more, i think (beatles, etc.)

would anyone recommend some simple (drum-wise) songs?

any other advice?

Class A Drummer

Pioneer Member
You should do a michael jackson song like beat it or something because its simple and people will be like 'yayyyyy michael jacksonnnnn.'

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
First you need to know who your audience will be. Will it be 2nd graders who know nothing about drums or will it be your high school drum line? You need to tailor your clinic to most of the audience. Pick a theme, whether it be single stroke rolls, flams, ghost notes whatever. Then pick some music that you are familiar with that has these elements in it to show examples. Just playing music and showing your chops to MJ songs is not a clinic but a demonstration. Be sure to stop and allow questions so that you can re-show what you tried to express. Preparation is the key or else you will come off looking like a "drummer" and we don't want that. Good Luck.

PreppieNerd

Silver Member
Try to show the musicality of drumming. choosing beats, etc. While playing with this tune should I do 8th note or 16th note subdivisions and why? If you have time/access/ability, throw together some drumless tracks in garageband and show how playing a different beat along with the same tune can dramatically change the song. Much Luck!

dairyairman

Platinum Member
i think these ideas are good, but i wouldn't hesitate to throw some chops in there. i'd start the clinic by playing something flashy and exciting (but not too long) to get the crowd fired up, then get into the educational part of the clinic. i've been to a bunch of clinics from drummers like keith carlock and dave weckl and they all start off with something flashy and then get into the educational stuff. i think the crowd expects that, and frankly i'd be disappointed if i went to a keith carlock clinic and all he did was explain his technique.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
true Dairy, but you have to remember the type of audience and the skill of the clinician. I don't know his talents, but that can also be a good way to chase people out the door unless you are skilled at clinics, and obviously for a senior project and the fact that he is asking for ideas, this is not the case.

D

DamoSyzygy

First you need to know who your audience will be. Will it be 2nd graders who know nothing about drums or will it be your high school drum line? You need to tailor your clinic to most of the audience. Pick a theme, whether it be single stroke rolls, flams, ghost notes whatever. Then pick some music that you are familiar with that has these elements in it to show examples. Just playing music and showing your chops to MJ songs is not a clinic but a demonstration. Be sure to stop and allow questions so that you can re-show what you tried to express. Preparation is the key or else you will come off looking like a "drummer" and we don't want that. Good Luck.
The perfect reply!

When I last did a clinic, I aimed to play a bit then talk about what it is to be a drummer, and spent a bit of time talking about getting more out of the gear you own without spending a million dollars, etc etc.

The bottom line is, most of the attendees were parents or younger teenagers, who didnt have a lot of money or interest in the technical rundown of what I played. They wanted to rock, and they wanted to have fun. If they could take something useful home from the clinic, even better!

Tailor the show to your audience and youll always go fine.