Need help to get this sound

huangmi

Anyone heard the Megadeth album: Rust In Peace, i really want to get my snare to sound like Nick Menza's, could someone give me some tips like what skin to use, tuning, tension, and what size of snare strand to use thanks! p.s my snare is a Mapex pro brass 14x6.5 with 42 snare strand

Rust In Peace was Yamaha drums, as it says on the page you linked. The Tama snare was for CTE.

But who knows what snare he really used in the studio?

This has got to be, at least the 1,000 th thread on "how do I get that snare sound on...blah ,blah,blah.The answer is.....you don't.You may get close,in a professional recording studio,with a professional engineer,all kinds of micing techniques and tons of EQ and compression,and a drum tech.But you sitting in your house/basement?You'll never duplicate the sound of recorded drums,miced and mixed,compared with live unmiced, non-EQ'd acoustic drums.

That's just the truth.I know you're new at this,but the sooner you learn the facts,the better off you'll be.Anybody that tells you that you can get that exact sound,without all the enhancments I mentioned,is smoking in the shower.

Steve B

This is where electronic drums do a great job. You can get a nice "mastered" sound out of them. Getting a completely natural acoustic sound out of them is a bit harder. But, I hear lots if people wanting the sound from some album by a band they like and they monkey around with heads and tuning until they are blue in the face.

You cant replicate a studio's ambiance, or add reverb, or a gate on an acoustic drum in your basement. So, short of buying a bunch of expensive studio equipment and messing with mixing consoles to tweak your drum sound, you wont get the sound that Menza had on that album.

Anybody that tells you that you can get that exact sound,without all the enhancments I mentioned,is smoking in the shower.

Steve B
Have you been watching me bathe Steve?

We ghost supply to studios all the time. Some artists use the snare they're endorsing, some use something else & that's never spoken about. The aim is to find the fastest route to the sound the producer needs/wants. If that's a drum change, or processing, or even audio replacement, then it gets done without reference to anything or anybody else.

Have you been watching me bathe Steve?

We ghost supply to studios all the time. Some artists use the snare they're endorsing, some use something else & that's never spoken about. The aim is to find the fastest route to the sound the producer needs/wants. If that's a drum change, or processing, or even audio replacement, then it gets done without reference to anything or anybody else.

Andy,I think that because the OP is so new to drumming,he thinks that he can get that exact sound without using the same drums/studio recording techniques,in a live setting,using acoustic drums,unmiced,and not EQ'd.

Steve B

Andy,I think that because the OP is so new to drumming,he thinks that he can get that exact sound without using the same drums/studio recording techniques,in a live setting,using acoustic drums,unmiced,and not EQ'd.

Steve B

Hey its not always necessary to use Eqs to get a studio sound. I can play St Anger perfectly fine on a timbale! :)

Do-not-feed-the-trolls.jpg

Steve only believes what he thinks is true, so there is no point of showing your own opinion to him.
Am I missing something here? Steve is an experienced & open minded player, & the "how can I get (insert sound here) from (insert album/player here)" question is frequently asked by players who may not be aware of the processes that go into modern music production.

The original poster percieved Steve's post as rude. I think that's somewhat of an overreaction. Just leave out the emotional aspect and use the info he provided. Because ultimately, what he said is true. "To get this sound", you really have to get each component of the sound process right and you'd need decent/specific equipment but also experienced professionals. Granted, there are a couple of things you can do yourself - which snare, drum heads etc. But this is just a part of the equation.

Steve only believes what he thinks is true, so there is no point of showing your own opinion to him.

Mate I was joking. If you havent heard St Anger by Metallica, then listen to it and you'll understand what I said.

I wasn't mocking you, I was mocking the statement that you cannot get the sound you want by throwing in a cheap joke, but I do know that the statement is true - just Lars Ulrichs snare on St Anger is the most vile snare sound ever and sounds like a cross of a timbale and an empty soda can :)

Of course I only believe what I think is true;to believe what I think is not true,wouldn't be logical,and would serve no purpose,except to reinforce ignorance.I am however,always interested in others opinions,other than my own.That's how we learn new things,and that's why I belong to this forum.I DON'T have all the answers,and most here are well informed,experienced players/builders.That makes their opinions/facts. more likely to be the correct one.

I guess the next time,I'll just say,please use the search function since this question has been asked ad infititum on this forum.Sorry if my answer isn't the one you were looking for.My post wasn't meant to insult you.It was meant to just make you think about researching ,before posting something.

One more thing,my answer wasn't me stating my opinion,it's a matter of facts,based on years of experience.Something you have VERY little of at this juncture ...young Jedi padawan learner.:)

Steve B

Mate I was joking. If you havent heard St Anger by Metallica, then listen to it and you'll understand what I said.

I wasn't mocking you, I was mocking the statement that you cannot get the sound you want by throwing in a cheap joke, but I do know that the statement is true - just Lars Ulrichs snare on St Anger is the most vile snare sound ever and sounds like a cross of a timbale and an empty soda can :)

i quite like that album to be honest, but yeah, the snare sounds horrible!

Back