Need help on hybrid setup

greenstar323

Hello electronic drummies! I have frequented this forum quite often but first time posting in this section. First off let me say I have done forum searches and extensive research just looking for opinions/help/suggestions.

I'm looking to add some electronics to my acoustic kit. I play in a cover band so am looking for sounds like a hand clap, gong, maybe a China or other cymbal, and other various fun percussion sounds that are really called for once in a song. Right now I play a one up one down setup with two crashes, hi hats, and a ride so rather than dragging along a China or splash for one song figured I could use electronics for this as well. For what it's worth I'm not looking to trigger my acoustic drums or do any kind of fancy looping (although who knows I could get really into this and want to do that down the road.)

I'm trying to stay under the $300 mark here. I have an Alesis DM6 electronic kit that I thought I could use the pads and foot pedals from. I was considering the Alesis Sample pad (currently $150 at my local GC) but I heard you cannot play two sounds at once. For $300 I could get the Alesis sample pad pro. I like the idea of these two units because it's one unit I'd have to lug around with my kit rather than a bunch of extra pads and cables etc. Also with the sample pad pro I can add foot pedals or other pads.

I was also looking at the Roland tm-2 but it only has two inputs. The $200 price tag is quite appealing. Finally I was considering getting the Yamaha DTX502 drum module and use my existing Alesis pads with it. I kind of like this idea because I can incorporate the pads into my kit and position them comfortably rather that having a unit off to the side.

OK those were a lot of options. What are your thoughts?! Thanks in advance for your help.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Looks like you've explored your options.

I think it comes down to how many pieces you want to carry and keep track of.

A set of self contained pads is the easiest, with the least pieces.
A module with separate pads and cables will require more setup time and more things to remember to bring, or to lose.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
The only thing I know of that accepts your own samples and accepts more than 2 remote triggers is the SPD-SX which is out of your price range.

But, it would work perfectly for what you want to do and give you room for future expansion into loops, backing tracks etc.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I'm trying to stay under the $300 mark here ..... For $300 I could get the Alesis sample pad pro. I like the idea of these two units because it's one unit I'd have to lug around with my kit rather than a bunch of extra pads and cables etc. Also with the sample pad pro I can add foot pedals or other pads.
I think the Alesis Sample Pad Pro is gonna give you the most bang-for-your-buck. I've had a Roland SPD-S, for quite a few year, and it's a great add-on instrument to an acoustic kit. I think they go for around $400, used. Alesis has come up with a copy (of sorts), at a price point below used SPD-S prices.​
Since you talk about maybe "down the road" I think you'd quickly outgrow the $150 Sample Pad. I use two different loop stations. An Electro-Harmonix 16 Secong Delay, and an Electro-Harmonix Nano Looper 360.​

greenstar323

The only thing I know of that accepts your own samples and accepts more than 2 remote triggers is the SPD-SX which is out of your price range.

But, it would work perfectly for what you want to do and give you room for future expansion into loops, backing tracks etc.
The sample pad pro ($300 version) allows you to upload your own samples, plus it has inputs for hi hat, bass pedal, and two additional inputs for other pads. Yes it might not be as top of the line as Roland or Yamaha but I can't imagine dropping twice that amount for something like that for the purposes I'm going to use it for. I'm also wondering how much lower in quality it is from Yamaha and Roland. For the price I feel like I can't even compare them.

I recently saw they are coming out with an Alesis Sample pad 4, which is essentially the sample pad pro, but a smaller 4 pad version for $179. This could be exactly what I'm looking for!

Do you guys have any experience with the Alesis sample pad pro? It got ok reviews online. Again, I'm not looking to do anything overly crazy with it. Just need tambourine, extra cymbals, cowbell, some other fun effects so I don't have to pack tons of extra gear.

Thanks for your replies so far!

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
The TM-2 has two stereo (head/rim) inputs which can be split via an adapter cable into four mono inputs. It also allows you to load samples.

It will do what you need at this point.