Need help mounting my ride cymbal off of my TAMA bass drum

beatdat

I have a set of TAMA Silverstars with all TAMA hardware.

I'm looking to mount my ride cymbal off of my bass drum using the tom mount bracket that is not being used (I offset my 12" tom on its own stand).

The problem is that the diameter of the hole for the tom bracket is about 2.6cm, and none of the pipes that attach to any of the cymbal arms I have are that wide. I've looked on their website, but TAMA doesn't seem to sell any cymbal arms with pipes that wide.

I'm considering cutting a bit of length off of the tom mount holder pipe and using that as a sleeve around a cymbal arm pipe, but don't know how to get a tight fit with no play.

Any ideas with respect to compatible hardware I can buy or a DIY fix that would make this work?

Best bet is to find a cymbal stand with a 1"/2.6cm downtube and cut it down to the desired height with a tube cutter, then mount your boom in there.

What Al said. And finding a short boom arm and 1" downtube is almost impossible. I just went through that process while trying to adapt a certain tom holder to a 1" bass drum mount.

You can save yourself a lot of grief by attaching one of the Gibraltar bass drum cymbal mounts to your bass drum. Requires drilling two small holes down low on the right side of your bass drum for the receiver, but that's not a big deal. Once you use a bd mounted ride cymbal holder, you'll never go back to other options.

GeeDeeEmm

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/product/sc-gbdca/

SC-GBDCA.jpg

Some good ideas guys, thanks.

Ideally, though, I'd like to use an extra cymbals arm and post I have along with a portion of the down tube from the tom mount that I have as a sleeve to form the right diameter - it'll be cheaper and still be all TAMA parts.

Is there any product (like a liquid cement) I can use to "glue" the cymbal arm post to a portion of the down tube post once it's inserted? Would it form a solid seal that's not loose?

Wait a second....this is TAMA you are talking about! We don't drill and we don't super glue!!! LOL

You can get a Tama clamp that will clamp to your 1" tom mount down tube and hold your Tama chmbal stand parts.

No muss, no fuss....

Stand by while I dig up some pics and parts....

Here is one: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/tama-multi-clamp

Says it will go up to 1 1/8". That should fit your tom mount down tube. Just leave the tom hardware on there and mount that clamp to the main tube.

Here are several more styles: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/drum-clamps/tama

I have another one in mind that would be better. When I find it I will post it.

This would work best I think, tom mount on one side, cymbal mount on the other. Just can't locate one....yet. Most places are saying "out of stock". But the part number is: MTH900BM SINGLE TOM HOLDER. May have to check eBay.

Link here:

https://sc1.musik-produktiv.com/pic-004108147xl/tama-single-tom-holder-for-bass-drum-mount.jpg

Last edited:
Wait a second....this is TAMA you are talking about! We don't drill and we don't super glue!!! LOL

You can get a Tama clamp hat will clamp to your 1" tom mount down tube and hold your Tama boom stand parts.

No muss, no fuss....

Stand by while I dig up some pics and parts....

You know, it's been said that, for a pretty smart guy, I'm kind of stupid...thanks for proving that bud.

Gibraltar sells a platform top with three clamps with a 1" down tube. That may work. Peace and goodwill.

You know, it's been said that, for a pretty smart guy, I'm kind of stupid...thanks for proving that bud.

ahhhh.....ermmmmm.....(scratch head).....?

Hoping that post was a joke....

Not my intention to do anything but help. I use a bunch of Tama clamps on my Tama kit and Tama hardware for mouning various things-included pieces of cymbal stands....lol.

Figured maybe you weren't aware of all your options and I didn't want to see you start drilling holes and trying to DIY something that had already been done.

All the best...

ahhhh.....ermmmmm.....(scratch head).....?

Hoping that post was a joke....

Not my intention to do anything but help. I use a bunch of Tama clamps on my Tama kit and Tama hardware for mouning various things-included pieces of cymbal stands....lol.

Figured maybe you weren't aware of all your options and I didn't want to see you start drilling holes and trying to DIY something that had already been done.

All the best...

And help you did! It was a simple solution that I didn't think of, even though it was right in front of my eyes. So, thanks for that.

Turns out I have all the parts I need (in fact, I have the same clamp you linked to), I just need to buy a couple of memory locks.

But, instead of leaving the tom mount where it is (which is actually on a shelf right now), I'm going to flip it upside down and bury most of it inside of the bass drum so only a several inches of the down post is showing, and then attach the clamp to that.

Sorry if I came across as ungrateful or rude. My post was an attempt at humour that I sometimes have a tough time conveying in writing, and I refuse to use "winking eyes", "smiling faces" or "lol" - it's just not me. Thinking about what I wrote, a "d'oh" in front of my post may have helped.

Again, thanks for your help!

COOL!

GREAT idea about flipping the tom mount upside down....

Now who has egg on their face? I never thought of that!

You should be able to find a plug for that tube. Plastic or chrome. Head to Home Depot or similar and check the electrical aisle for work box plugs...or the "general hardware" aisle for a decorative plastic plug or cap.

Glad it worked out for you.

COOL!

You should be able to find a plug for that tube. Plastic or chrome. Head to Home Depot or similar and check the electrical aisle for work box plugs...or the "general hardware" aisle for a decorative plastic plug or cap.

Ha! Yeah, the tom mount would be in the way of my ride cymbal, so I had to figure a way of using it without cutting it - took a few minutes to figure it out though.

Nice call on the end plug, I'll take the mount in and pick one up. Thanks.

Please post pics of this when you're done. I'm curious about your end-result placement of everything.

COOL!

Or you can try this company, above, for other options. Good luck!

Back