Need help Identifying this Ludwig Kit

ok thanks for the info. I measured the distance from edge of shell to middle of vent and it was 3 inches for all 3 toms. The bass drum didnt have a badge. Here are more pics starting with the 9 depth x 8 diameter rack tom:

_DSC0929.jpg

_DSC0930.jpg

_DSC0931.jpg

_DSC0932.jpg

_DSC0933.jpg

next is the 12 depth x 15 diameter floor tom:
_DSC0934.jpg

_DSC0935.jpg

_DSC0936.jpg

_DSC0937.jpg

_DSC0938.jpg

and finally the 14 depth x 24 kick drum:
_DSC0939.jpg

_DSC0940.jpg

_DSC0941.jpg

_DSC0942.jpg

_DSC0944.jpg

and FYI the tom i showed in my original post is a 9 depth x 10 diameter tom.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully i didnt purchase a fake one...

Les - i checked the alignment of the tom mount in pic4 and it's straight. Just the angle of my camera while taking the picture made it seem crooked.

The kick has some mods done. The spurs have been replaced, there's filler where the old screw holes were. And the lugs are different than the classics on the toms, they look like those Tama lugs in mikeg's pic actually.

This will be interesting.

Last edited:
The toms do not have a Ludwig bearing edge. Ironically, the bass drum with the Tama hardware, looks like a 6-ply Ludwig maple shell with a ludwig bearing edge. the darker rings around the lug screws are the stain leaking through. This set has been refinished and they did a poor job masking the shells.

Let's see some close up, clear shots of the bearing edges on the toms, showing the plies..

how about taking off a couple lugs and a tom holder. That would show the holes and modifications , if any...

Kick lugs don't match rack tom lugs. Big "smoking gun" that this kit is cob-nobbled. Hope this whim didn't cost you a lot. Could sound really good, though, and make a good beater kit.

Well i got these drums, a Tama titan boom stand, a Zildjian avedis medium 18 crash, a set of Paiste 502 bronze hats, a keyholed Zildjian avedis 22 ride, an old Pearl hi hat stand, a Ludwig Speed King pedal, and a generic ride stand for 375$. Guess i may as well try to sell off everything and recover what i spent.

O wait. maybe all those are chop shopped too...^^

Last edited:
A decent price for all that. Hopefully the ride isn't too badly key holed.

Hey, if it sounds good, and you like it, who cares!
At least the colors match pretty good, and everything looks sturdy.

I'd just go and have fun with it, you didn't overpay for what you got, and you don't have to worry about damaging it at a gig.

My first thought when I saw the bass drum was Slingerland. In one pic, the tom shell interior look like there's a layer of fiberglass or something like that ????

That bass drum for sure is a Tama Superstar, although the badge is missing (is that a plugged hole right in front of the tom mount?), those aren't the original spurs (as PFOG pointed out), and what is that thing penetrating the shell down at 6 o'clock? But you can clearly see the angle of the inner ply on the bass drum, indicating Tama.

Here's the '80s catalog for Tama

Looks like a Frankenstein kit to me.

Last edited:
Yeah... I own an 80's Ludwig Classic kit and that is not a Ludwig Kit as far as I can tell. I don't think Ludwig ever finished / stained the inner plies of their shells like that... Not to mention the mounts, and hardware on the bass drum are obvious giveaways... Given everything you got in the sale - maybe you did not get ripped off... I would not have paid a red cent for that kit though.

But - it always pays to do the research BEFORE buying something as opposed to after as the person selling the kit clearly misrepresented what you purchased.

Bass drum is 'not' a TAMA Superstar. The tom mount 'is' TAMA 80's era, the lugs are also 80's TAMA.

The give away on bass drum shell is the spur holes (filled-in) and the seam. The original bass drum spurs looked to be 'pass through' and that's the profile shadow of a 70's SLINGERLAND bass drum spur mount, although I would expect a 70's SLINGERLAND bass drum to have re-rings. Note wood filler used on the bigger 'pass through' hole.

TAMA used and still uses a diagonal seam to butt their ply's. The bass drum pictured has a straight seam. Its not a TAMA bass drum shell.

What you could do ucla_phil is remove a couple of lugs, one on the tom(s) and one on the bass drum (pic would be cool). Would love to see the lug holes which are probably jacked and yes, that's a patch of fiberglass cloth on one of the toms (see pic's below☟).

This set will do as a beater, knowledgeable drum dudes at gig's will easily spot it as a Frankenstein kit. It'd fine with mesh heads on used as a quite practice kit.

Last edited:
Ok sorry for the late follow up. I removed a lug from the tom and a lug from the bass and heres what the holes look like:

tom lug outside:
Ludwig1.jpg

tom lug inside:
Ludwig2-1.jpg

bass lug outside:
Basslugremoved.jpg

bass lug inside:
Basslugremoved2.jpg

So after seeing these pictures...any idea what shells you guys think these really are?

Man, that's a lot of fiberglass in there. Wonder what someone was up to? Probably done in the late '70s, early '80s trying to make the drums "project" more. Kind of a quasi, pre Jasper, Fibes kit.

So after seeing these pictures...any idea what shells you guys think these really are?

The straight seam rules out TAMA. Superstars from the 80's would have a diagonal seam.

Looks like a dorky LUDWIG straight seam, but look at the (double?) lug imprints in Pic 3 of Post # 31

Last edited:
... Lud-Cote is 'speckled'

Thanks, this has been bothering me. When was this done? I had an old oyster wrapped small kit back in the late 70's that I could swear I remember had this grey Zolotone or speckled paint inside. But I don't see any mention of it in descriptions of "vintage" Ludwig drums. I've no idea how old these drums were. When I got them, they were just an "old" kit with a 20" kick and 14" FT. There wasn't the vintage craze there is nowadays. If I still had them, they'd probably be worth something.

Bass drum is 'not' a TAMA Superstar. The tom mount 'is' TAMA 80's era, the lugs are also 80's TAMA.

TAMA used and still uses a diagonal seam to butt their ply's. The bass drum pictured has a straight seam. Its not a TAMA bass drum shell.
I beg to differ. Look at the second to last photo on post #21 and notice the diagonal seam passing through the filled-in original spurs that were pass-through. Tama Superstars (and Imperialstars) used pass-through spurs as can be seen in this Tama calalog shot. Looks to me like a match.

I'm going to maintain that it is a Tama bass drum. (That and it looks just like the Superstar I had in the '80s)

I beg to differ. Look at the second to last photo on post #21 and notice the diagonal seam passing through the filled-in original spurs that were pass-through. Tama Superstars (and Imperialstars) used pass-through spurs as can be seen in this Tama calalog shot. Looks to me like a match.

I'm going to maintain that it is a Tama bass drum. (That and it looks just like the Superstar I had in the '80s)

I agree. The lugs on the OPs bass drum also appear to be Tama, and possibly the tom mount as well.

Back