Need help for buying new cymbals

ahriman22

So recently my mother finally unveiled the drumset she's been hiding from me since November 08. Of course I was all giddy and excited, it's Supra (Pretty much a local brand for beginners) and the black finish is eyegasmic. However my giddyness hit a brick wall when I saw the cymbals, it wasn't the fact that I didn't know the brand (Something along the lines of solarus, I know it started with sol), it was the fact that my hats were cracked, which broke my heart, since the crack ran from the edge to the hole in the middle.

So now I'm looking for a decent couple of cymbals, preferably 2 crashes, 1 ride and a pair of hats. I saw Sabian B8 super pack on musiciansfriend.com for 300$, exact specs are:
14" hats
16" Thin crash
14" Thin Crash
20" Ride
BONUS 18" Thin Crash
BONUS 10" Splash

I think it's a pretty good deal, but I don't kno if it would fit my style. I play Metal most of the time and the fact that the crashes are thin doesn't seem like they would fit in. Can anyone recommend good packs for metal, please?

I just finished watching this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiLsHqOoFp4&feature=channel_page

at around 8:50 he says

"Thats a big mis conception, you know... a heavy cymbal -- stiff cymbal, is not the most durable cymbal, those break the fastest because they do not give when you hit them."

A big part of it too, he explains, is that it is largely dependant on how you're hitting your cymbals. Glancing strikes, a strike that hits the cymbal at an angle will get you a different sound out of the cymbal and it will make the cymbal last longer.

Typically I find thin cymbals make the best crashes because they have a very shimmery sound to it where as the thicker heavier cymbals have an almost gongy sound to it. That being said I like to ride on heavier cymbals... So I go for a heavy ride and thin crashes.

$300 for Sabian B8
14" hats
16" and 14" Crashes
20" Ride
BONUS 18" Crash and 10" Splash

Those bonus cymbals make it worth it to me but you need the hardware for them too remember. Hardware can get expensive.

I've owned a 16" B8 crash and 20" B8 ride. The crash cracked after 4 years of sharing it with 3 drummers one of which is very heavy hitter. The ride never taken any damage from playing because hitting that 20" B8 really hard like a crash sounds absolutely disgusting so nobody did it. Although one band practice I accidently kicked over the ride and it chopped some wires and burned a little chunk out of the edge of the ride XD.

Sabian B8's are fine for any new drummer, get them, they'll survive a good heavy metal beating.

-meow

I just finished watching this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiLsHqOoFp4&feature=channel_page

at around 8:50 he says

"Thats a big mis conception, you know... a heavy cymbal -- stiff cymbal, is not the most durable cymbal, those break the fastest because they do not give when you hit them."

A big part of it too, he explains, is that it is largely dependant on how you're hitting your cymbals. Glancing strikes, a strike that hits the cymbal at an angle will get you a different sound out of the cymbal and it will make the cymbal last longer.

Typically I find thin cymbals make the best crashes because they have a very shimmery sound to it where as the thicker heavier cymbals have an almost gongy sound to it. That being said I like to ride on heavier cymbals... So I go for a heavy ride and thin crashes.

$300 for Sabian B8
14" hats
16" and 14" Crashes
20" Ride
BONUS 18" Crash and 10" Splash

Those bonus cymbals make it worth it to me but you need the hardware for them too remember. Hardware can get expensive.

I've owned a 16" B8 crash and 20" B8 ride. The crash cracked after 4 years of sharing it with 3 drummers one of which is very heavy hitter. The ride never taken any damage from playing because hitting that 20" B8 really hard like a crash sounds absolutely disgusting so nobody did it. Although one band practice I accidently kicked over the ride and it chopped some wires and burned a little chunk out of the edge of the ride XD.

Sabian B8's are fine for any new drummer, get them, they'll survive a good heavy metal beating.

-meow

Thanks for the reply.

I know the new hardware maybe as set us back quite a bit, but I just saw this http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-CH70-Cymbal-Holder?sku=448039. which would be nice and would match the rest of my Pearl hardware.

Then again, I birthday is coming up in April and the fact that my uncle is a drummer too would help convince the rest of the family that the extra hardware would surely be worth it. Now the only things left are double pedals...

Look into Paiste pst5 for that amount of money. B8/b8 pros are atrocious.

Will do. i prefer Paiste too, but I don't want to go spending mad amounts of money on individual cymbals just yet.

Will do. i prefer Paiste too, but I don't want to go spending mad amounts of money on individual cymbals just yet.

That's what I was going to explain to you, but if you don't want to hear it...

The thing is, if you had $300, wouldn't you rather spend it on a professional set of hats than on a set of b8's that you will wind up selling either way? The b8's will sound hideous. After buying the hats, get a professional level ride, then work your way up to crashes/special effects.

If money is truly an issue, then I concur with the statement of buying pst5's. They sound a million times better than b8's and I believe they're the best entry/intermediate level cymbal.

805drummer here on drummerworld is selling his 16" pst5 thin crash for $50 I believe.

EDIT: I would encourage you to save a little bit more and get this:
I was planning on getting it until something came up, but this is a great deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130280589628

Good luck on your time consuming search! ;)

The problem with things like cymbals...microphones and things like that...

Say you buy your pre-pack of b8's to save a few bucks, and I mean a FEW. You have a set of lousy pies that will need to be completely replaced. So you end up spending money all over again, totally destroying your savings advantage. Saving money on a huge compromise is no savings at all.

And the good part: pst5's do have a resale value, sabian b8's don't.

Let's look at some prices.... make this a concrete concept.

Sabian b8 pro pack:
14 in. medium hi-hats
16 in. medium crash
20 in. medium ride

All of which are junk for $339.

Paiste pst5
Universal cymbal pack:
14 Inch Hi Hats, 16 Inch Crash, 20 Inch Ride $279.99

The pst5 will eat b8 pro for lunch. So again, the sabians are a total waste.

The thing is, if you had $300, wouldn't you rather spend it on a professional set of hats than on a set of b8's that you will wind up selling either way? The b8's will sound hideous. After buying the hats, get a professional level ride, then work your way up to crashes/special effects.

If money is truly an issue, then I concur with the statement of buying pst5's. They sound a million times better than b8's and I believe they're the best entry/intermediate level cymbal.

805drummer here on drummerworld is selling his 16" pst5 thin crash for $50 I believe.

I would, but really is an issue. So I'll get the pst3s or pst5s and then work my way up. I did see a pair of Meinl Classic Soundwave hats, but I resisted the temptation.

The problem with things like cymbals...microphones and things like that...

Say you buy your pre-pack of b8's to save a few bucks, and I mean a FEW. You have a set of lousy pies that will need to be completely replaced. So you end up spending money all over again, totally destroying your savings advantage. Saving money on a huge compromise is no savings at all.

And the good part: pst5's do have a resale value, sabian b8's don't.

Let's look at some prices.... make this a concrete concept.

Sabian b8 pro pack:
14 in. medium hi-hats
16 in. medium crash
20 in. medium ride

All of which are junk for $339.

Paiste pst5
Universal cymbal pack:
14 Inch Hi Hats, 16 Inch Crash, 20 Inch Ride $279.99

The pst5 will eat b8 pro for lunch. So again, the sabians are a total waste.

Where did you see it for 280$?

midwestpercussion.com has the pst5 for 289 and b8s for 300. im not sure what site he saw, but either way, the b8s are a complete waste of time and money, the pst5 are so far superior in sound and craftsmanship the $12 savings is bigger than that, the resale value should be a lot higher too.

I would, but really is an issue. So I'll get the pst3s or pst5s and then work my way up. I did see a pair of Meinl Classic Soundwave hats, but I resisted the temptation.

Skip the pst 3's, they are brass. PSt5's are REAL b8 bronze, not the junk that sabian calls b8.

Skip the pst 3's, they are brass. PSt5's are REAL b8 bronze, not the junk that sabian calls b8.

Oh, because I didn't see the difference between pst3/5.

Oh, because I didn't see the difference between pst3/5.

Then just trust us. There is a difference - go with the PST5s. Brass is not a good cymbal metal. Your ears will appreciate you for the decision later, when you get a better ear for cymbal tones. And even if your music stores have Sabian B8s on sale, spring the extra $$ for the Pst5s. Like Trkdrmr said, there is no comparison.

Then just trust us. There is a difference - go with the PST5s. Brass is not a good cymbal metal. Your ears will appreciate you for the decision later, when you get a better ear for cymbal tones. And even if your music stores have Sabian B8s on sale, spring the extra $$ for the Pst5s. Like Trkdrmr said, there is no comparison.

Will do then. I used to be a Zildjian guy, but I fell for Paiste.

Will do then. I used to be a Zildjian guy, but I fell for Paiste.
zildjian and sabian simply do not have their b8 process refined like paiste does with most of their lines consisting of b8. 2002s, RUDES, Giant Beats, alphas, pst5 are all b8. zildjians , zbt, zhts etc and sabians b8 and pro are all junk. zildjian and sabian both make great cymbals, but not in there student/intermediate lines.

EDIT: I would encourage you to save a little bit more and get this:
I was planning on getting it until something came up, but this is a great deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130280589628

Good luck on your time consuming search! ;)

wow thats a good deal!! lol! mmmmm... i wonder how much shipping to canada would be though...... T.T

Back