Need Drum Key for Slotted Premier Tension Rods

I have a Sonor multikey for my 70s Premier kit and 2000 snare and it works fine. As others have said, coins work ok too.

SONOR-MK-MULTI-TUNING-DRUM-KEY_01.jpg

OK, so I found an easy fix in another forum. Put the cylindrical part of the Sonor drum key parallel to the jaws in a vice and give it a slight press and the two pieces comes apart. Then file down the insert until it fits your tuning rod perfect then put it back in the barrel in the same position and give it a quick sqeeze on the other side to seat it. Done!

I’ve got those on my Premier 2000. I briefly considered getting a key for it till I discovered they sell for around 100 bucks on eBay (or at least they did in 2014). I use a Mac screwdriver that’s a perfect fit in the slot. I’ve also eyeballed T-handle screwdrivers but never pulled the trigger on it (something like this).

Pete

What kind of Mac screwdriver? Like one for a laptop?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

I've been using a fairly large screwdriver. Since my drums spend most of the time in my basement I really have no need for a key. But now that it's been brought up by my friendly drum gear enablers, I must have one that actually fits. And now for the first time I'm thinking about changing out the tuning rods with the square bolt tops. Thanks guys.

For anyone in the USA there's a slotted key on eBay that's quite cheap.

What kind of Mac screwdriver? Like one for a laptop?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

I use a Mac magnetic bit screwdriver. That way you can change the bit to meet your needs. Mac part # PM8A. You can find them on eBay a lot cheaper than you can from the tool truck. I bought it new about 1990.

But as Juniper has pointed out, there's a nice Premier key selling on eBay right now. The upside of the key is that the screwdriver part is inside a shroud so it can't slip out. After knocking back a few beers and playing a while, that may be an issue for some folks. Personally, I use a nice cheap Premier 1005 live and the 2000 stays safely at home.

Pete

Mac-1.jpgMac-2.jpgDrum Key.jpg

If you can't find a Premier slotted key for cheaper, I actually had a seller say that some of his customers would buy the Sonor keys and take a small file to them.
I was lucky enough to find a Premier on Ebay for about $20.

Back