Need advice - quitting a band that I'm the co-founder of

Glad to hear that it got worked out!

I was going to reply and give the advice that you handed out. It's always better to lay it out like that no matter what the situation because if you don't you are wasting other people's time.

You just described a band that I'm in to the T! Great people and players but no followers. I do it because I love it and have the time, but would leave if that love was going stale (just like I would with a woman), but that honesty will keep the relationship strong (unless they are crazy). That will always leave the option to come back for some regular or spotty play!

You just described a band that I'm in to the T! Great people and players but no followers. I do it because I love it and have the time, but would leave if that love was going stale (just like I would with a woman), but that honesty will keep the relationship strong (unless they are crazy). That will always leave the option to come back for some regular or spotty play!

Ah, then you know exactly what it's like - it was one of the hardest things I had to do since they are probably 2 of the best musicians I ever had the honor to play with - hands down best bass player ever!

AS much as I loved playing that music (funk/hard rock/metal), the metal side basically won out, it's what I listen to on my free time (Meshuggah, Lamb of God, Overkill, Uneven Structure, etc.) and I really enjoy the physical, brutal end of playing it and the adrenaline you get from it.

Neil Peart's story in the recent Rush documentary "Time Stand Still" really got me and helped me make my decision - I'm middle aged and the clock is ticking on how long I can play the way "I" play - heavy hitting and fast/hard double bass. SO, if I decided I'm gonna go out in flames! Brutal metal! Hopefully, like Neil, I can last to 64/65 playing at this intensity, I'll certainly keep up my health and fitness routines.

Thanks to all for your advice - it was a big help, I'm so glad this forum exists.

Just tell them you're taking a break from the band to try something new. Then they can either wait to see if you last with the new band, or they can find a replacement.

Guys, don't know if any of you have been through this, but some advice is certainly needed. For the most part I have the emotional sensitivity of "Dirty Harry" from the Enforcer - that's not always a good thing... :)

Anyway, I co-founded this original band and took care of the website (i created it), digital booklets, FB, artwork, mastering, and etc., etc. - you get the idea.

Well after 5 years and two albums of hard work, our turnout at shows is low - only friends or family, no fans. Our only fans are from internet radio - abroad or out of state (We are in New Jersey). Now they want to do a 3rd album. Oh, and BTW, I put up the money for CD duplication, the website, and USB wafer duplication and they took their time in paying me back.

I'm very proud of what we made, but it's time to bail, it's costing a lot of money and there's no return. I just got the nod from an incredible metal band who called me - I'm taking it.

Now, how do I get out of this nicely, especially with the founder - he's a great friend and "brother from another mother", but I'm just done.

Any advice would be helpful - like i said, I'm no good at the "feely" stuff.

I'm a shithouse....I'd email them :)

Back